OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Winter Classic?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:53 pm 
Offline
Big in Japan
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:37 am
Posts: 9615
Location: 'Real City
https://www.nhl.com/news/chicago-blackh ... -285266568

Anyone watch? How was Busch? Not wintery enough?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winter Classic?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:37 am 
Offline
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:15 pm
Posts: 1636
I did not watch the game. The NHL has overdone the whole concept and ruined it. When you have two plus outdoor games a year, what's special about it?

_________________
Bíonn macalla ag an bheatha sa tsíoraíocht. YNWA. JFT 96


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winter Classic?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:04 pm 
Offline
OTP Historian
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 9291
RW wrote:
I did not watch the game. The NHL has overdone the whole concept and ruined it. When you have two plus outdoor games a year, what's special about it?


They are fun. I've been to two now...I'd go again.

_________________
Thanks Chuck, E.L. and Harmy!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winter Classic?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:59 pm 
Offline
King of Men
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:26 pm
Posts: 5832
Location: Left Field
I couldn't figure out what the NHL was doing. There was a game on New Years and then another one the day after.....I thought I was watching the Winter Classic...but apparently I was watching some Heritage Classic I guess. I watched a little bit of it yesterday but I was too busy riding Chocobos.

As Skip said....the whole novelty of outdoor games has worn off for me. Might be cool to go to...but I also haven't been to a hockey game in almost 2 years.

_________________
"How shall we, the murderers of all murderers, comfort ourselves?"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winter Classic?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:22 pm 
Offline
Tattoo of the Post
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:54 pm
Posts: 6825
harmfuljays wrote:
I couldn't figure out what the NHL was doing. There was a game on New Years and then another one the day after.....I thought I was watching the Winter Classic...but apparently I was watching some Heritage Classic I guess. I watched a little bit of it yesterday but I was too busy riding Chocobos.

As Skip said....the whole novelty of outdoor games has worn off for me. Might be cool to go to...but I also haven't been to a hockey game in almost 2 years.


the Detroit-Leafs game was the "Centennial Classic". I was wondering why there was a weird set of white rings coming from underneath the rink. They were the zeros in 100.

I haven't gone to an outdoor NHL game, and maybe the atmosphere is really cool. But I know a few people who went to the Stadium series games and said they froze their asses off, couldn't see the puck, had no idea who had the puck, etc. Hockey just doesn't lend itself well to 60k capacity stadiums. Or at least, not when the rink is in the middle of a baseball or football field and the closest fans are like 50' from the rink and down so low they can only see heads of players like Chara over the boards. I watched some of the Leafs-Wings game, only because there was nothing else on TV. Best part of it- noticing the Detroit equipment guys' fuck up. Some of the helmets said "Detroi" because the put the stickers on before sizing the helmets. Didn't they learn from Clumbus???

_________________
Posting your political views on social media is like sticking your head up your ass & whispering: You're just as likely to change someone's mind, and you'll always come out looking like a shithead.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winter Classic?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:55 pm 
Offline
OTP Historian
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 9291
Chris18 wrote:
harmfuljays wrote:
I couldn't figure out what the NHL was doing. There was a game on New Years and then another one the day after.....I thought I was watching the Winter Classic...but apparently I was watching some Heritage Classic I guess. I watched a little bit of it yesterday but I was too busy riding Chocobos.

As Skip said....the whole novelty of outdoor games has worn off for me. Might be cool to go to...but I also haven't been to a hockey game in almost 2 years.


the Detroit-Leafs game was the "Centennial Classic". I was wondering why there was a weird set of white rings coming from underneath the rink. They were the zeros in 100.

I haven't gone to an outdoor NHL game, and maybe the atmosphere is really cool. But I know a few people who went to the Stadium series games and said they froze their asses off, couldn't see the puck, had no idea who had the puck, etc. Hockey just doesn't lend itself well to 60k capacity stadiums. Or at least, not when the rink is in the middle of a baseball or football field and the closest fans are like 50' from the rink and down so low they can only see heads of players like Chara over the boards. I watched some of the Leafs-Wings game, only because there was nothing else on TV. Best part of it- noticing the Detroit equipment guys' fuck up. Some of the helmets said "Detroi" because the put the stickers on before sizing the helmets. Didn't they learn from Clumbus???


We couldn't see the greatest at the Big House game. We were 12 rows from the front, so really low. It's true that the big stadiums don't necessarily lend themselves to the best sight lines, but if that was the point of going, you wouldn't be. You'd be going to an Isles game in a road rink ;) The experience and the atmosphere is just so fun.

_________________
Thanks Chuck, E.L. and Harmy!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winter Classic?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:18 pm 
Offline
Tattoo of the Post
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:54 pm
Posts: 6825
Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
harmfuljays wrote:
I couldn't figure out what the NHL was doing. There was a game on New Years and then another one the day after.....I thought I was watching the Winter Classic...but apparently I was watching some Heritage Classic I guess. I watched a little bit of it yesterday but I was too busy riding Chocobos.

As Skip said....the whole novelty of outdoor games has worn off for me. Might be cool to go to...but I also haven't been to a hockey game in almost 2 years.


the Detroit-Leafs game was the "Centennial Classic". I was wondering why there was a weird set of white rings coming from underneath the rink. They were the zeros in 100.

I haven't gone to an outdoor NHL game, and maybe the atmosphere is really cool. But I know a few people who went to the Stadium series games and said they froze their asses off, couldn't see the puck, had no idea who had the puck, etc. Hockey just doesn't lend itself well to 60k capacity stadiums. Or at least, not when the rink is in the middle of a baseball or football field and the closest fans are like 50' from the rink and down so low they can only see heads of players like Chara over the boards. I watched some of the Leafs-Wings game, only because there was nothing else on TV. Best part of it- noticing the Detroit equipment guys' fuck up. Some of the helmets said "Detroi" because the put the stickers on before sizing the helmets. Didn't they learn from Clumbus???


We couldn't see the greatest at the Big House game. We were 12 rows from the front, so really low. It's true that the big stadiums don't necessarily lend themselves to the best sight lines, but if that was the point of going, you wouldn't be. You'd be going to an Isles game in a road rink ;) The experience and the atmosphere is just so fun.


There are shitloads of good seats available at Barclays, since season ticket holders have said "fuck it" to this season. You can buy obstructed, nose bleed seats, and then go sit next to the backup goalie (don't expect it to be Halak!).

_________________
Posting your political views on social media is like sticking your head up your ass & whispering: You're just as likely to change someone's mind, and you'll always come out looking like a shithead.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group