OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 586 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:22 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Good heavens...I don't know if any piece of entertainment could possibly be more soul-crushing than The Handmaid's Tale. We're only about four episodes into season two and I'm a frickin' wreck.

What's alarming as all fuck is just how topical this is right fucking now, more than thirty years after the book came out.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:46 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
Good heavens...I don't know if any piece of entertainment could possibly be more soul-crushing than The Handmaid's Tale. We're only about four episodes into season two and I'm a frickin' wreck.

What's alarming as all fuck is just how topical this is right fucking now, more than thirty years after the book came out.

Had no expectations with S2 seeing as S1 ends the way the book does. Being able to mirror current events and the freedom of not following the book, but with Atwood's supervision, allowed them to make an even bleaker, crazier season of television. Ended up loving it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:50 pm 

We have only one episode left to go on "The Haunting of Hill House" and I think it's been brilliant as all hell. On one hand, scary as all hell, on the other hand, absolutely heartbreaking, especially the episode entitled "The Bent-Neck Lady." Egads...

Watched a couple episodes of Black Mirror and I'm hooked. Unfortunately I'm seeing them WAY out of order, but the first one was a pitch-perfect sendup of Star Trek that takes a very sinister turn about a third of the way in.

Loving the new Doctor on Doctor Who, and the new showrunner and writing are a welcome start after things got kinda stale with the previous regime IMO. They actually did an episode that centered around Rosa Parks, something I don't think Doctor Who has ever even tried before. Very interesting for the fact that it was a sci-fi take on one of our watershed moments in history, and some outsider perspective on racism in America.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:17 am 
Big in Japan

Had Amazon Prime over the holidays and watched Marvelous Ms. Maisel, the latest from Gilmore Girls creator Amy Sherman. A mix of GG with Mad Men. Beautifully shot, funny characters. Highly recommend.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:43 pm 

Five episodes into "Friends from College," and I'm not sure I've ever seen a bigger mix of psychologically damaged characters in an ensemble comedy before. I don't think there's been an episode where at least a couple people aren't shitfaced drunk or whacked out on multiple drugs.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:01 pm 

Friends from College got the axe after two seasons, so that's that. It had an utterly brilliant cast and good writing but I imagine too many people found it difficult to like these characters because they truly were horrid and were only starting to realize it.

Disney also takes their ball and goes home. I'm really annoyed that if I want to watch more seasons of Daredevil, et al, I have to subscribe to another fucking streaming service. I'm already subscribed to two (CBS and Netflix), the former merely because I wanted Star Trek. I'm not gonna shell out for three.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 586 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30