OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:29 pm 
Offline
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:37 am
Posts: 20844
E.L. wrote:
Nick Schmaltz out for the season with a knee injury. This team cannot catch a break.


You gotta be fucking kidding me. The Hockey Gods want this team gone.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:19 pm 
Offline
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:37 am
Posts: 20844
Arizona could conceivably make it in if they win out and the Avs lose out (in regulation) but they're hanging by the thinnest of threads.

Devastating loss for them against the lowly Kings, made even worse when the guy basically carrying the team, Darcy Kuemper, had to leave the game after getting a stick jammed right in his eye. Apparently he's going to be okay though.

Cat Silverman had a post about cat-eye masks vs. traditional ones. The tradeoff is basically vision for protection. Should the league just flat-out ban cat-eye or maybe add some kind of clear plastic shielding to it...?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:26 am 
Offline
OTP Historian
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 9561
Pokecheque wrote:
Cat Silverman had a post about cat-eye masks vs. traditional ones. The tradeoff is basically vision for protection. Should the league just flat-out ban cat-eye or maybe add some kind of clear plastic shielding to it...?


I can't see clear plastic shielding standing up to shots. On the inside of the cage? Still probably dangerous but how's a goalie gonna clean that when it gets foggy?

I still wear a cat-eye but I think my eye holes are smaller than what's in the NHL. I don't think you can even buy masks with them in Canada anymore? I think they have to be CSA approved and cat-eye aren't. I got my replacement directly from the company that made them for Olie and a bunch of other mask companies.

http://www.otnycages.com/olie/

Quote:
** denotes – Cat Eye & Cheater cages are not CSA approved and WE ARE NOT PERMITTED TO SHIP THESE ITEMS WITHIN CANADA.

_________________
Thanks Chuck, E.L. and Harmy!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:27 pm 
Offline
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:37 am
Posts: 20844
It's still stunning that a puck somehow made its way through Ben Bishop's mask and knocked out one of his teeth. .

Yeah, I figured there has to be some real limitations with a plastic eye shield, otherwise they'd have them by now.

The last pro goalie I remember for sure having the more traditional cage mask was Vanbiesbrouck, though I'm sure there have been others since then, I just can't remember them.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:06 pm 
Offline
Tattoo of the Post
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:54 pm
Posts: 7228
Bosc wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:
Cat Silverman had a post about cat-eye masks vs. traditional ones. The tradeoff is basically vision for protection. Should the league just flat-out ban cat-eye or maybe add some kind of clear plastic shielding to it...?


I can't see clear plastic shielding standing up to shots. On the inside of the cage? Still probably dangerous but how's a goalie gonna clean that when it gets foggy?

I still wear a cat-eye but I think my eye holes are smaller than what's in the NHL. I don't think you can even buy masks with them in Canada anymore? I think they have to be CSA approved and cat-eye aren't. I got my replacement directly from the company that made them for Olie and a bunch of other mask companies.

http://www.otnycages.com/olie/

Quote:
** denotes – Cat Eye & Cheater cages are not CSA approved and WE ARE NOT PERMITTED TO SHIP THESE ITEMS WITHIN CANADA.


Can't get them here either. A guy I play with has one (skates out, which makes it really frigging weird), and he had a goalie offer him $200 for it. It's beaten up, rusting at the welds... The goalie said he'd sand blast and re-paint it... Still, this dude wears it. Said he'll sell it when he retires from playing beer league, and give himself a nice retirement party with the money. :lol:

_________________
Posting your political views on social media is like sticking your head up your ass & whispering: You're just as likely to change someone's mind, and you'll always come out looking like a shithead.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:07 pm 
Offline
Tattoo of the Post
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:54 pm
Posts: 7228
Bosc wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:
Cat Silverman had a post about cat-eye masks vs. traditional ones. The tradeoff is basically vision for protection. Should the league just flat-out ban cat-eye or maybe add some kind of clear plastic shielding to it...?


I can't see clear plastic shielding standing up to shots. On the inside of the cage? Still probably dangerous but how's a goalie gonna clean that when it gets foggy?

I still wear a cat-eye but I think my eye holes are smaller than what's in the NHL. I don't think you can even buy masks with them in Canada anymore? I think they have to be CSA approved and cat-eye aren't. I got my replacement directly from the company that made them for Olie and a bunch of other mask companies.

http://www.otnycages.com/olie/

Quote:
** denotes – Cat Eye & Cheater cages are not CSA approved and WE ARE NOT PERMITTED TO SHIP THESE ITEMS WITHIN CANADA.


Can't get them here either. A guy I play with has one (skates out, which makes it really frigging weird), and he had a goalie offer him $200 for it. It's beaten up, rusting at the welds... The goalie said he'd sand blast and re-paint it... Still, this dude wears it. Said he'll sell it when he retires from playing beer league, and give himself a nice retirement party with the money. :lol:

_________________
Posting your political views on social media is like sticking your head up your ass & whispering: You're just as likely to change someone's mind, and you'll always come out looking like a shithead.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:51 pm 
Offline
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:37 am
Posts: 20844
Interesting. Anyone know if you can get the "certified" cat-eye mask anywhere?

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:39 am 
Offline
OTP Historian
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 9561
If they're certified then should be able to find/ship. Looks like this is the site that sells OTNY's stuff in the US.

http://www.goaliecages.com/

_________________
Thanks Chuck, E.L. and Harmy!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:07 am 
Offline
Tattoo of the Post
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:54 pm
Posts: 7228
Wow. I just searched a few sites and can find several non-certified options! I didn't even think you could buy them anymore. But I think you'd have trouble being allowed to wear it for a game. If the refs give a shit. Or if the goalie isn't good enough that the opposing team complains, trying to get them booted. :lol:

_________________
Posting your political views on social media is like sticking your head up your ass & whispering: You're just as likely to change someone's mind, and you'll always come out looking like a shithead.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:14 am 
Offline
OTP Historian
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 9561
Chris18 wrote:
Wow. I just searched a few sites and can find several non-certified options! I didn't even think you could buy them anymore. But I think you'd have trouble being allowed to wear it for a game. If the refs give a shit. Or if the goalie isn't good enough that the opposing team complains, trying to get them booted. :lol:


Given that the leagues don't legislate eye protection, I doubt that they care all that much about cat-eye(mine and my younger brother's aren't legal, can't remember what my younger bro's wearing). The refs probably don't care either. I'm still wearing 12", pre-2005 spec pads. I'm guessing that the only way the league mandates it is if the league can't get insurance without the rule.

_________________
Thanks Chuck, E.L. and Harmy!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group