OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:32 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/previe ... sb-preview

Josh Bailey set to play his 500th game.

Avs will go with the same lineup they had against the Jets the other night, which means it'll be one superline (Landeskog-MacKinnon-Duchene) doing all the work, two lines of grinders, and one completely ineffective line of slow skaters being misused (Martinsen-Grigorenko-Iginla).

The good news is that Roy seems to like his current defensive lineup, which IMO is not horrible if you ignore the horribly glaring fact that Nick Holden continues to be in a top-four spot. For his next contract Tyson Barrie may have to demand a clause that ensures he gets something other than an absolutely horrible player on his pairing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:31 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Bailey at 500 games. I still feel like he's a youngster. I guess that means I'm really old. :lol: I feel bad for that guy. So many fans hate him. I agree that what he's given the team wasn't worth a #9 pick, but it's not his fault he was drafted that high, and hell, they traded down twice to get him at 9. He was also rushed, which I think should not be an excuse anymore, because he's had enough time and good team mates to help straighten him out. But, most people argue that he was either rushed or is a bust.

Greiss is apparently in net tonight. Probably a good thing, since Halak let in 5 goals on 5 SO attempts the other night vs Florida.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:45 pm 

If there's one NYI forward who appears not to be carrying his weight it's Strome. Bailey ain't flashy but he appears to have rounded into form. Lots of highly-touted forwards still ended up being pretty good players despite not being the superstars everyone thought they'd be. Cases in point: Daymond Langkow, Erik Johnson.

Might be the last time I get to see Travis Hamonic in an Isles jersey. Rumor has it the Avs are still in play, something tells me it'll be either Edmonton or Minnesota when all is said and done, Edmonton might be a little more desperate because the deal for Griffin Reinhart is already looking bad.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:57 pm 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:
Lots of highly-touted forwards still ended up being pretty good players despite not being the superstars everyone thought they'd be. Cases in point: Daymond Langkow, Erik Johnson.

Daymond Langkow and Erik Johnson were highly touted forwards that everyone thought would be superstars? News to me!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:04 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Bailey at 500 games. I still feel like he's a youngster. I guess that means I'm really old. :lol: I feel bad for that guy. So many fans hate him. I agree that what he's given the team wasn't worth a #9 pick, but it's not his fault he was drafted that high, and hell, they traded down twice to get him at 9. He was also rushed, which I think should not be an excuse anymore, because he's had enough time and good team mates to help straighten him out. But, most people argue that he was either rushed or is a bust.

Greiss is apparently in net tonight. Probably a good thing, since Halak let in 5 goals on 5 SO attempts the other night vs Florida.

If people want to criticize the Bailey pick, just refer them to this list. He's already passed more than half in both games played and points, and there are plenty of guys that he can still pass in both(and also guys who can pass him, but still).

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/draf ... position=9

He's also 4th in GP and 6th in points from his own draft class(ignoring position).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:55 pm 

The Reinhart trade is part of the reason Snow probably doesn't want to deal with Edmonton again- they'll want to recoup some of their loss. I had high hopes for that kid. Oh well.

Spector is about 1/2 notch above Eklund on the NHL writer respect chart, but he doesn't think Barrie or Duchene will be moved this year. I only mention that because we talked about either for Hamonic last week.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:03 pm 

Dutchy is by far the team's biggest offensive threat at the moment after setting a franchise record for goals in the month of November. I know that's a silly record (everyone's favorite player and agent Claude Lemieux held that mark previously which I'm sure everyone wanted to know) but he really has turned it around after a pretty gad awful October. I guess the threat of trade and moving him to RW were the right tools to motivate him. I'm fairly confident management wouldn't be stupid enough to trade him unless something ridiculous was being offered.

Barrie is also likely to stay unless contract talks veer into Ryan O'Reilly territory.

My one fear is that the Avs will trade away a core player before addressing the real issue--the bad coach and his really bad system. But that threat is not immediate.

I guess this is the matchup of teams whose fanbases most want their respective head coaches fired.

I'll be happy regardless of whether the Avs win or lose, just so long as they don't give up yet another fucking shorthanded goal.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:20 am 

Greiss was damn good again, allowing 2 flukey goals & 1 through a screen. Comeau's goal was just ridiculous. He backhanded it up over a sprawling Greiss, who turned around and knocked it in with the butt end of his stick. Probably couldn't do that on purpose if he tried 100 times. :lol:

Was Roy pulling Varlamov with 5:00 to go gutsy or stupid? They pulled within 1 after a little less than 90 seconds with the extra attacker, but then gave up the insurance goal to a further relieved Ryan Strome. His 1g & 1a should have him feeling a little more confident. He's helping that third line be much more of a scoring threat. Once again, the Isles 4th line makes a huge difference with Clutterbuck & Cizikas scoring. Their play isn't pretty, but they're putting pucks in and annoying the shit out of opponents.

Rangers on Wednesday. Do they play the hot hand in Greiss, or go with their #1 in Halak? I'd stick with Greiss, but I think they'll go with Halak. Capuano seems reluctant to give Greiss more than 2 straight starts. I'm not sure why. He's looked better than Halak most of the season so far.

Av, they didn't allow a shorty. If you need further cheering up, this should help: https://twitter.com/braeheadclan "If it's not (a) Scottish (hockey team wearing kilt unis), it's CRAP!"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:26 pm 

Plaid hockey pants? Holy crap that is too awesome for words.

I missed most of this one being at work but caught some of it on the radio. It went about how I thought it would. Pulling the goalie so early is about the ONLY thing Roy does that the fancy stats people actually like. Technically speaking coaches should pull their goalie much earlier than they usually do. In fact when Roy did it his first year and it was wildly effective more coaches started doing it.

So yeah, the only thing that pissed me off about this game is, of course, my favorite former Wylde player Cal Clusterfuck managed to score a goal. Dude will forever be a thorn in Colorado's side. Unfortunately the guy the Isles traded to Minny in exchange for him is far, far worse in that regard.

Story of the season thus far. Win one, lose three. Avs will definitely be in line for a lottery pick unless something drastic takes place.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:49 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
Plaid hockey pants? Holy crap that is too awesome for words.

I missed most of this one being at work but caught some of it on the radio. It went about how I thought it would. Pulling the goalie so early is about the ONLY thing Roy does that the fancy stats people actually like. Technically speaking coaches should pull their goalie much earlier than they usually do. In fact when Roy did it his first year and it was wildly effective more coaches started doing it.

So yeah, the only thing that pissed me off about this game is, of course, my favorite former Wylde player Cal Clusterfuck managed to score a goal. Dude will forever be a thorn in Colorado's side. Unfortunately the guy the Isles traded to Minny in exchange for him is far, far worse in that regard.

Story of the season thus far. Win one, lose three. Avs will definitely be in line for a lottery pick unless something drastic takes place.

I thought of you as soon as I saw the kilt unis. The socks are great.

I saw the first period, listened to the 2nd on the way to practice. Last I heard it was 2-2. Saw the score after it was over. Hockey keeps getting in the way of hockey.

Clusterfuck has been really good this year. He's got 6 goals, Cizikas has 4 & Martin has 1. 11 goals from the 4th line. Team has 72 total. 8 goals from D players (Leddy with 0???? WTF?). So 11 of 64 goals by forwards are by the 4th line. Looking at stats some odd things pop out. Okposo is the only forward with a negative rating, at -3. Brian Strait (who sucks donkey balls) is a -2 and the only negatively rated d-man. Tavares & Lee are only even. Kulemin leads with +8 and Hamonic with +7. Nielsen is having a good year again- 9 goals. Okposo leads with 14 assists, followed by Nielsen & Tavares with 10 each. Lee is reversing his Cy Young type numbers from last year (25-16-41) with 4-8-12. Nice to see the kid passing, but it would be nice if he'd start scoring more. He's not going to even sniff 20 goals at this rate.