(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:41 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow ... story.html

Holy shit.

Quote:
Especially problematic for the Kings will be the buyout cap hit in the third and fourth years, $4.216 million and $4.216 million, according to the website capfriendly.com.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:39 pm 
Big in Japan

Uh, doesn't sound like a buyout to me... https://twitter.com/mirtle/status/615589559091470336

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:43 pm 
OTP Historian

Oh wow.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:15 pm 

This is fucked. Donald Fehr better be all over this.

As others have pointed out on Twitter, the Kings still have a man brought up on domestic violence charges on the roster, and even allowed him to practice with the team in a flagrant violation of league rules. So unless Mike Richards drop kicked a few babies and we didn't hear about it, this is all kinds of shady.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:30 pm 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

Drugs?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:32 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Av-merican wrote:
This is fucked. Donald Fehr better be all over this.

As others have pointed out on Twitter, the Kings still have a man brought up on domestic violence charges on the roster, and even allowed him to practice with the team in a flagrant violation of league rules. So unless Mike Richards drop kicked a few babies and we didn't hear about it, this is all kinds of shady.

The Coyotes paid out Ribeiro in full when I think they had a real case of terminating him like this.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:43 pm 
King of Men

Captain Chaos wrote:
Drugs?

That's exactly what I was thinking....Jarret Stoll's bud.....conveniently

Cocaine is tearing the Kings apart!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:02 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Don't like the idea of teams getting out of cap hits because of character flaws. Not sure how this pans out or the cap implications but seems like it could be a dangerous precedent to have.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:16 pm 

What the hell...

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nhl/stor ... e-richards

Quote:
Several sources told ESPN.com the Kings were made aware of the situation Friday, approximately an hour after the first round of the 2015 NHL draft had begun.

The team was already in the process of trying to trade him -- discussions were in place with both the Edmonton Oilers and the Calgary Flames -- but Kings general manager Dean Lombardi immediately informed both teams upon learning about the situation that he had no prior knowledge of the incident and halted those talks, according to a source.

It is not immediately clear when said incident took place.

As Bruce said, Arizona in light of recent revelations sure as hell had grounds to terminate Ribeiro's deal and still paid in full, there's no way LA should get to wriggle out of this one.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:41 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

A close friend of mine's girlfriend is from Kenora, Ontario who know the Richards family. Apparently he was caught smuggling illegal drugs across the Canadian border, unprescribed Oxycontin (among others).....

Wiespread Cocaine use has been in the NHL for years, thought it was common knowledge, but troubling nonetheless.

One would assume the Kings have tried several times unsuccessfully to get Richards some help and wouldn't proceed with this legal position unless it was a pretty dire situation and there were significant grounds for the club to prevail in court.

This reaches well beyond NHL business - it's personal. I hope Richards gets the help he needs.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... 56704.html

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:05 am 

Sheeeeit... :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:23 am 
OTP Historian

Logical Progression wrote:
A close friend of mine's girlfriend is from Kenora, Ontario who know the Richards family. Apparently he was caught smuggling illegal drugs across the Canadian border, unprescribed Oxycontin (among others).....

Big news if true. If this is the case, how is he not in lockup right now? Unless he posted bail I guess, but I'm not a lawyer.

Ribeiro's shit is certainly fucking horrible, but there are no criminal charges laid. The NHL has always had a line at criminal vs. non criminal (Mark Bell compared to Dany Heatley, for example), though I haven't gone back to look at every instance.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... 33794.html

Quote:
It’s worth noting that this is a civil case, not a criminal case, though the nanny “has suffered mental anguish, medical treatment, physical pain and suffering, physical impairment, humiliation, shame, fright and damage to her reputation…”

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:14 am 

Mike Richards has no charges pending per the RCMP. A lot of guys familiar with sports labour contract disputes think this will get overturned, the breach is not serious enough to warrant termination and the NHLPA will never allow such a matter to set a precedent.

I'll bet on Donald Fehr on this one. He got terminations overturned in the MLB for various legal issues, he'll fight his ass off and win for the NHLPA here.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:24 am 
OTP Historian

saskhab wrote:
Mike Richards has no charges pending per the RCMP. A lot of guys familiar with sports labour contract disputes think this will get overturned, the breach is not serious enough to warrant termination and the NHLPA will never allow such a matter to set a precedent.

I'll bet on Donald Fehr on this one. He got terminations overturned in the MLB for various legal issues, he'll fight his ass off and win for the NHLPA here.

Hopefully, if it's not egregious. If it isn't, LA is blatantly trying to circumvent the cap, and the rest of the NHL owners are licking their chops at the possibility of non-guaranteed contracts.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:24 am 
OTP Historian

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nhl/stor ... rds-source

Quote:
Mike Richards, whose contract has been terminated by the Los Angeles Kings, is part of an ongoing investigation by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police for an off-ice incident, a source told ESPN.com on Tuesday.

A spokesperson for the RCMP in Manitoba told ESPN that, as of Tuesday, no charges have been brought against Richards but declined to comment further.

The source said that Canadian Border Services is also involved in the investigation, but a spokesperson declined comment, citing Canadian privacy laws.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:13 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Privacy laws are very different in Canada so at this stage so until there are tangible charges and proceedings, everything remains speculation.

My point is that the Kings wouldn't take such a hard position and terminate a contract in this manner unless there was some pretty compelling evidence. But $5.75M x 5 is a hell of lot of dosh, so if it is just a blatent attempt at cap circumvention, they don't stand a chance.

Personally I think non-guaranteed contracts are just what the NHL needs.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:32 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
Personally I think non-guaranteed contracts are just what the NHL needs.

You really think so? Not like that's done anything to clean up the NFL on either side. Just leads to some rather absurd contracts and even more absurd signing bonuses.

It's astounding how irresponsible organizations in a league with guaranteed contracts and a hard cap continue to behave, especially now that there are cap recapture penalties.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:59 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Mike Richards = Kim Richards of the NHL?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:36 pm 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericmacrama ... -contract/

Yeah, the Kings don't appear to have much of a case if the TMZ report is the extent of what happened. In fact, it's such a bad case I'd think they should be charged with violating the cap if they happen to go over it for even a day during the summer.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:57 am 
King of the One-Liner

If if they don't go over the cap with Richard's added in, they should be penalized for attempted circumventing the cap.