OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: What now?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:48 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

From today's Flys/B's tilt. Pretty much sums up Steve Mason's entire NHL career:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:24 am 

Can someone please explain the "Flyers should've fucking kept Doughty" joke? I'm not getting it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:42 pm 
OTP Historian

Steve Mason with a 2.27 GAA and .925 sv%.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:41 pm 
OTP Historian

Oh hey. Goaltending coach and the guy Steve Mason credits with resurrecting his career, Jeff Reese, left the Flyers. Why? Looks like it's because surprise surprise, the Flyers have problems being fucking idiots with injured players(including Mason previously) again(not to mention salary cap issues leading to the need to dress Mason).

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/spor ... uptly.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:41 pm 

No surprise, Vinny lets it be known that if Berube is back next season, he won't be.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:49 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Av-merican wrote:
No surprise, Vinny lets it be known that if Berube is back next season, he won't be.

Surprising he'd voice it publicly, but not surprising that he'd feel that way.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:55 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Surprising he'd voice it publicly, but not surprising that he'd feel that way.

This organization has a long track record of airing their dirty laundry. I remember Captain Keith Primeau basically telling management they better fire Bill Barber, or else.

Frankly they should both go. Kinda sad seeing Lecavalier's career peter out like this. Prior to those wrist surgeries that pretty much did him in, he was hands-down the best player in the NHL.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:18 pm 
Big in Japan

I don't think he was ever hands-down the best player at any point, but he had a special combination of size and skill. He was also a chippy and chirppy mofo.

If he's willing to recast himself as a checking, puck-possession centre, he might be able to extend his career, but his days as a reliable scorer are very much over.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:13 pm 
Big in Japan

Well, Berube might be done. Ripped into Sean Couturier for not scoring enough, even though he's their go-to defensive zone centre.

Quote:
Frank Seravalli @frank_seravalli · 37m 37 minutes ago
Berube: "You're telling me Couturier starts in the defensive zone too much. Well, that's his job."

Quote:
Frank Seravalli @frank_seravalli · 17m 17 minutes ago
Berube: "He needs understand he’s going to start there a lot of times, he needs to get it in the offensive zone and get it done."

Quote:
Frank Seravalli @frank_seravalli · 12m 12 minutes ago
Berube: "We're trying to make a little bit of an excuse that I'm using him too much in the defensive zone. (1/2)

Quote:
Frank Seravalli @frank_seravalli · 12m 12 minutes ago
Berube (2/2): "For him to develop as a better player and a better offensive player, he’s got to learn how to produce starting in the DZ."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:26 am 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
I don't think he was ever hands-down the best player at any point, but he had a special combination of size and skill. He was also a chippy and chirppy mofo.

If he's willing to recast himself as a checking, puck-possession centre, he might be able to extend his career, but his days as a reliable scorer are very much over.

He obviously didn't have the same peak but he could be like Trottier in Pittsburgh.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:19 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Bosc wrote:
E.L. wrote:

He obviously didn't have the same peak but he could be like Trottier in Pittsburgh.

That's quite excessive. Better comparable would be Muller.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:44 am 
OTP Historian

saskhab wrote:
Bosc wrote:
E.L. wrote:

I'm speaking strictly in terms of being an older guy with experience who used to be a great/elite offensive player taking on a defensive role late in career who can chip in some offense. Not trying to compare their careers or anything. EL also said that Lecavalier was chirpy(which I didn't know of really) and so Trottier in Pittsburgh was the first guy who came to mind because of that old video of he and Kevin Stevens shit-talking Brian Bellows.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:24 pm 

Bosc wrote:
saskhab wrote:
Bosc wrote:
E.L. wrote:

I'm speaking strictly in terms of being an older guy with experience who used to be a great/elite offensive player taking on a defensive role late in career who can chip in some offense. Not trying to compare their careers or anything. EL also said that Lecavalier was chirpy(which I didn't know of really) and so Trottier in Pittsburgh was the first guy who came to mind because of that old video of he and Kevin Stevens shit-talking Brian Bellows.

But Trottier was always elite defensively as well, if it had not been for Gainey being so good he would probably have had a Selke or two. So in his case the offense left him but he could still play positionally sound defence. Bit different context for Vinny.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:44 pm 

They tried turning Petr Nedved into a checking forward in Philly. Didn't take. I hope Vinny has better sense. He can still be productive firing one-timers on the power play, but that's about it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:12 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I want Vinny to hold on, because he's younger than me. When guys younger than me are considered old and retire, well that just sucks.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:01 am 
Big in Japan

Berube fired.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:05 pm 
Big in Japan

https://twitter.com/bryzgoalie30/status ... 1405552640

:haha:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:22 pm 

The Flyboys present an interesting case study into advanced statistics.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2016/1 ... -which-one

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:18 pm 

So now they're chanting for Hakstol to get fired, but I'm just not sure what the fans were expecting with patchwork goaltending and a ridiculously young blueline. Didja think these guys were going to contend or something?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:17 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
So now they're chanting for Hakstol to get fired, but I'm just not sure what the fans were expecting with patchwork goaltending and a ridiculously young blueline. Didja think these guys were going to contend or something?

Probably. Dumbest fan base in hockey.

They'd be in Buffalo rebuild territory if not for Giroux/Voracek lending the false perception that they're simply reloading.

By the by, Couturier is PPG right now. Shame they have so much dead weight on the roster right now: Weise, MacDonald, Gudas, Raffl, Lehtera, Voltron, Weal, Laughton and Read for a minute.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next