OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: So, what now?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:43 pm 
Big in Japan

The Blues thought they needed a goalie, but what they really needed was Thomas Vanek, or a similar elite scorer.

Depth is nice, and scoring by committee can get you far in the regular season, but at some point when the B-level guys dry out, you need some evergreen talent to score a few big goals. Tarasenko is the closest thing they have to a game-breaker at forward, and he was their best guy.

Oshie and Backes are great players, but they're nowhere near Toews/Kane, and they basically needed to be.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:52 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

E.L. wrote:
The Blues thought they needed a goalie, but what they really needed was Thomas Vanek, or a similar elite scorer.

Depth is nice, and scoring by committee can get you far in the regular season, but at some point when the B-level guys dry out, you need some evergreen talent to score a few big goals. Tarasenko is the closest thing they have to a game-breaker at forward, and he was their best guy.

Oshie and Backes are great players, but they're nowhere near Toews/Kane, and they basically needed to be.

Gaborik and even Hemsky would've been great adds. You are exactly right in your assessment, though.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:27 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Just read the Blues re-upped Brian Elliott for three years, which seems to indicate that they're going with him and Jake Allen in net, and Miller is gonzo.

Boy, that ended up being a very bad trade.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:50 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
Just read the Blues re-upped Brian Elliott for three years, which seems to indicate that they're going with him and Jake Allen in net, and Miller is gonzo.

Boy, that ended up being a very bad trade.

No kidding.

Quote:
The St. Louis Blues on Friday acquired goaltender Ryan Miller and forward Steve Ott from the Buffalo Sabres in a trade for goaltender Jaroslav Halak, forward Chris Stewart, forward prospect William Carrier, a first-round pick in the 2015 NHL Draft, and a conditional draft pick.

Miller was pretty marginal upgrade on Halak at this point in Miller's career, and ditto for Ott vs Stewart and both are UFA I believe. Carrier if he can stay healthy appears to have 3rd or 4th line potential then add in the 1st rounder. Gotta give credit to St. Louis for going for it but really they needed someone like Gaborik more than Ott and Miller

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:34 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Saw that too. Kind of a big fuck up there.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:36 am 

Makes me wonder where Miller goes now. Can't help but think playing for a crap organization led to some bad habits. I remember someone on here said Ray Ferraro admitted he was out of shape when he was traded from the Thrashers to the Blues. He's probably not elite anymore, but I could see him regaining his form for the most part with a fresh start.

I was originally thinking he would end up in SJ, but now I'm thinking it'll either be Washington or Minnesota. I know his wife is on the west coast, but there's not much for him there.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:10 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

I say Anaheim or maybe SJ.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:14 am 

Logical Progression wrote:

You really think Anaheim is going to even consider signing a 33+ year old when they have two legit guys under 25?

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:27 am 

saskhab wrote:
Logical Progression wrote:

You really think Anaheim is going to even consider signing a 33+ year old when they have two legit guys under 25?

Which reminds me...where will Hiller end up?

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:02 am 

It seems that Miller just really wants to go to California and by hook or crook he will land in one of those markets as a free agent. I see a situation where they would bring in Miller to push the younger goalies in the system and manage the number of starts they get to while slowly grooming them into the number one job slowly, using Miller as an insurance measure. I mean the dude is 34 now, it's not like his best years are ahead of him. He's got 4 decent years left.

Vancouver needs a situation like this with their goaltenders too. Lack isn't proven do take on a full work load as number one and Markström, is well, Markström. I just don't see Miller fitting into the club rebuild or brand but they could use a stop gap measure like this.

Miller fits into the same category as Neimi, Hiller or Luongo in as much as he is arguably better than all three but with something still to prove of his career. I also just don't see what other options he has given where he wants to play. He might end up out east but he's on record for not wanting to go anywhere but California and players have much more influence on where they are willing to play now than ever before.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:31 am 

Miller has to decide what's most important--a Cup, a big payday, or proximity to family. He can't have all three. It'll likely be his last NHL contract, so who knows...

Eklund keeps trying to link him to the Avs, because Roy likes him so much. Not happening.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:08 am 

What about Miller to Vancouver? If Lack needs time to develop, Miller would be very good insurance to allow Lack to develop over the next few years. Keep Miller til Lack looks good enough & move Miller.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:20 am 

Miller to Winnipeg or Minnesota would make some of the most sense. Or Pittsburgh, I suppose. San Jose is the only Cali market where there's possibly a job for him, IMO.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:45 am 
2 Legit 2 Quit

I would be really surprised to see Miller in SJ. DW holds Cup winners in very high esteem, and it can be argued that Miller is not much of an upgrade over Niemi- Niemi played great in the first half of the season, and neither goalie shined in the playoffs. SJ needs to spend their free agent $$ on the blue line. I'll be bummed if they sign Miller or Vanek.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:51 am 

hammer wrote:
I would be really surprised to see Miller in SJ. DW holds Cup winners in very high esteem, and it can be argued that Miller is not much of an upgrade over Niemi- Niemi played great in the first half of the season, and neither goalie shined in the playoffs. SJ needs to spend their free agent $$ on the blue line. I'll be bummed if they sign Miller or Vanek.

I'd be a bit surprised, too. Just saying SJ seems like the only potential landing spot in California and Miller will likely have to look elsewhere and just summer in Cali.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:48 am 

Chris18 wrote:
What about Miller to Vancouver? If Lack needs time to develop, Miller would be very good insurance to allow Lack to develop over the next few years. Keep Miller til Lack looks good enough & move Miller.

Lack is 26, he's done everything you could ask of him but carry a full #1 workload. The only way to figure out whether he can or cannot is to let him try. Besides there appears to be two guys behind him with the potential to be starters in Markstrom and Ericcson. I figure it is nearly certain that one of them is capable of providing average NHL goal tending. And two of the three are probably capable of providing better than NYI quality goal tending.

Besides if they all flop who cares? puts the Nucks one step closer to McDavid/Eichel/Hanifin sweepstakes

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:17 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Lack is 26, he's done everything you could ask of him but carry a full #1 workload. The only way to figure out whether he can or cannot is to let him try. Besides there appears to be two guys behind him with the potential to be starters in Markstrom and Ericcson. I figure it is nearly certain that one of them is capable of providing average NHL goal tending. And two of the three are probably capable of providing better than NYI quality goal tending.

Besides if they all flop who cares? puts the Nucks one step closer to McDavid/Eichel/Hanifin sweepstakes

My dog might provide better than NYI quality goal tending.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:03 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

My dog might provide better than NYI quality goal tending.

and he'll work for kibble, far better choice than Miller

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 6:11 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
:lol: Poll question on Team1040 today:

Quote:
What do you want Jim Benning to do with the Canucks?
Rebuild 55.1%
Retool 44.9%

:lol: I am getting a bit tired of these semantic distinctions. It is what it is. The Canucks need to get younger and faster and the Sedins need to shift into being second line players with Burrows and/or Jensen. If they need to move Kesler to achieve this, then so be it. He's got two years left on a good cap hit and has high value now.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 6:35 pm 

Rebuilding and retooling are quite different. New house or new jigsaw is a bit different. Where is the renovating option?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next