OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:34 am 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

In Trev we trust. Like Foggy - I hope the day when we despise his decisions never comes.... :ohdear:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:10 am 
OTP Historian

Fogghorn wrote:
Saint Trevor is the President, I should be excited but I've got mixed feelings. On the one hand his not being part of the team for 6 years because Gillis had problems with him in his time as NHLPA Prez always bothered me. He should always be a Canuck. Hands down the most popular and well thought of individual not just among Canuck's fans but among everyone within the province of BC. My ambivalence comes from recognition that the day is likely to come when I'm highly critical of the job Trevor is doing. And that is tantamount to chimps throwing feces at mother Theresa. It just isn't right. Part of me would rather have him stay away from the Canuck's so I can always think of him exactly as I do now but he's back so I hope he makes the best of it.

Well best of luck Trevor, please recognize the team has problems and don't desperately grasp for the playoffs for the next two years and then be faced with a huge long term rebuild. Use the goodwill you've built up to weather a short two maybe three year rebuild and build with the next 10 years in mind not just making the 2015 and 2016 playoffs.

This reminds me of something someone on the interwebs said when Yzerman became GM of the Lightning, and I tend to agree with. "If he's a bad GM, better he goes to Tampa to find out than in Detroit".

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:44 pm 
OTP Historian

Interesting recunt of a story from James Duthie.

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2014/04/10 ... 011-final/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:38 pm 

Bosc wrote:

Spell checker? ;)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:52 pm 

Interesting bit from Botchford

Quote:
Both my guy Gallagher and then Farhan reported Torts and Gilly have performance clauses in their contracts which likely means the severance payouts will be half the dollars which they have remaining.

$8 mil sounds a lot easier than $16mil

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:30 pm 
OTP Historian

Fogghorn wrote:
Bosc wrote:

Spell checker? ;)

:lol: Sounds kind of appropriate for Aquilini.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:09 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Fogghorn wrote:
Av-merican wrote:
Sometimes rich people act childish. Oh well.

This is precisely why he should hire a Prez--let that guy be the public face and go into hiding. It's what I would do.

Actually I suspect you wouldn't. Think about this, you've just won the billionaire lottery and pick up the AV-s for $500 million and put the rest into bonds and can sit back and live on the $25 million a year interest generated from bonds. You're set for life but you own your favorite hockey team and can now be the ultimate fan, attending every game, and sitting in on every meeting. Besides inviting Harmfuljay to your luxury suite for a game once a year and being an uber fan you really think that's all you would do with your ownership? you don't think you're going to have questions for your staff about why they do what they do? About why they're not making use of analytics about why some veteran dman with astoundingly negative goal differential gets played ahead of some young player that the coach doesn't trust?

I think you'd have to give up being a fan or move to some tropical island with no internet to be able to restrain yourself. This is the problem for a lot of owners in many sports. They're fans 1st, and owning a club is the ultimate toy for a rich boys. It's not a typical business where they are able to stay more detached and objective about it strictly as business. Which is okay, I'd rather have a deep pockets owner like Illitich willing to throw money at his franchise that a chitnzy one like old man Wirtz was who just about destroyed Chicago because to him it was all about the business and eking out every penny he could. Give me Mark Cuban any day over that.

Yeah, I'd probably be a lot like Ted Leonsis actually. :lol: I just hope I wouldn't be like Dan Snyder of the Redskins.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:37 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Fogghorn wrote:
Bosc wrote:

Spell checker? ;)

:laugh:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:49 am 

Geez, Duthie. Get all hammered on expensive wine and $400 tequila and then talk smack?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:39 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Av-merican wrote:
Geez, Duthie. Get all hammered on expensive wine and $400 tequila and then talk smack?
I heard him recount this story on Team1040. Duthie was like, "Umm, I dunno, there was some arrogance there. I mean Aquilini didn't say much, he was pretty quiet, but he was buying all of this expensive wine and Tequila for the entire TSN crew and it was great but Gillis, yeah, there was some definite arrogance there." The question was asked, "What did Gillis say?" and Duthie responded. "Ummm, not too much specifically, I don't recall, but it was more the feeling. It was like they had already won the Cup." :lol:

I guess you don't bite the hand the bought you the wine but it's open season on the compadre, especially once he's been shown the door.

Gillis was not comfortable with the media, his challenges were well documented. He masked it with arrogance, or it came across as such, but that was pretty weak on Duthie's part. Anything for a story I guess.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:08 pm 
OTP Historian

Logical Progression wrote:
Av-merican wrote:
I heard him recount this story on Team1040. Duthie was like, "Umm, I dunno, there was some arrogance there. I mean Aquilini didn't say much, he was pretty quiet, but he was buying all of this expensive wine and Tequila for the entire TSN crew and it was great but Gillis, yeah, there was some definite arrogance there." The question was asked, "What did Gillis say?" and Duthie responded. "Ummm, not too much specifically, I don't recall, but it was more the feeling. It was like they had already won the Cup." :lol:

I guess you don't bite the hand the bought you the wine but it's open season on the compadre, especially once he's been shown the door.

Gillis was not comfortable with the media, his challenges were well documented. He masked it with arrogance, or it came across as such, but that was pretty weak on Duthie's part. Anything for a story I guess.

Duthie doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to recount something just for a story. In fact, he sounds almost reserved in what he's saying. Probably doesn't want to get sued.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:16 pm 

I'm not entirely serious there in calling out Duthie, just seems like a bit of a conflict of interest to me. You're getting all this free, expensive booze off this guy. If you wish to remain objective and report/relate something about this guy, probably shouldn't be drinking it.

If someone put McPhee (hated by agents), Gillis (hated by media), and Keenan (hated by players) all in charge of an team you'd have the North Korea of hockey organizations.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:46 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Logical Progression wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

Duthie doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to recount something just for a story. In fact, he sounds almost reserved in what he's saying. Probably doesn't want to get sued.
Precisely. It seemed a bit out of character to me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:22 am 

Markstrom doing his best to get the Nucks the #6 pick, thanks Jake

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:53 am 

Fogghorn wrote:
Markstrom doing his best to get the Nucks the #6 pick, thanks Jake
Easy now.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:24 am 
Vegemite Enthusiast

hope they play him next game as well, heard he looked pretty good against the avs. might as well be getting a look at what we can now, and hey if it gets us a better pick.....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:27 pm 

well that didn't take long for me to believe Trev is going in the wrong direction or at least taking covetous glances that way. Trev, Shawn Thorton is not important to his team, please don't think signing Sestitio long term is a good idea, skilled possession players are better than size anytime. And seriously if that is what you believe we might as well have kept GMMG.

I guess this pretty much kills my hope of drafting Ehlers, not that Perlini is that bad an option.

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2014/04/13/trevor-linden-praises-the-boston-model-thinks-shawn-thornton-is-useful/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:47 pm 

Oh no. Daniel hit from behind into the boards by the Flames Byron and was motionless from chest down. Stretcher and neck brace brought out to get him off the ice.

This did not look good. Byron gets 5 and a game on a dirty hit.

Thoughts and best wishes go out to Daniel and family.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:17 pm 
Vegemite Enthusiast

I wondered who got hit. sounds terrible hope he's going to be okay

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:46 pm 

CanuckinOz wrote:
I wondered who got hit. sounds terrible hope he's going to be okay
Daniel Sedin taken to Vancouver General hospital and was reported to be in stable condition and 'moving some extremities'. :roll:

The lack of respect of young players for star players in this league is something to behold.....

Hang on. Forget the star players -- it's the simple respect of players for fellow players that has vanished from this game.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next