OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 503 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2014 Olympics Watch
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:47 am 

Logical Progression wrote:

its pretty good but too bad it had to go off tangent and start trashing America, I guess everyone has to have someone to hate on

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:48 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Av-merican wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Was it bad PR, or a bad product? Big difference.

Hard to say. I find it hard to believe a spandex/lycra suit can really make that much of a difference one way or the other, despite the complaints from the Americans, but I still find it even harder to believe not a single, solitary American speedskater failed to medal. Not ONE, short track or long track, solo or relay.

And BTW, before anyone mentions it, I realize hockey wasn't a complete failure for the Americans...I was just trying to block that women's final game from my memory. That was more heartbreaking than the men's failure was frustrating.

The swimming suits used by Phelps & co a few Olympics ago were scoffed at in the beginning, no? And tear drop helmets in cycling were also. When people wearing them set world records time after time, everyone stopped laughing & started outfitting their teams with them. That said, not all new technology works out. In sports like that the slightest fraction of a second takes you from world record to 4th place...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:41 pm 
King of Men

Thank goodness that's over. We need to put Canada on our watch list!

I was up for the game yesterday but I slept through most of it. An interesting brand of Claude hockey that team Canada decided to play. Not too terribly exciting but effective. Congrats.

IMO Shea Weber and Carey Price were fantastic. And when the stage called for it Sid was there.

I think that was bullshit on the doping allegation for Backstrom. The f'n guy has allergies, not that his presence would have made a difference in the outcome. Sometimes logic doesn't rule the roost though.

A fine swan song for Pros in the Olympics if you are Canada.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:00 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:

I think that was bullshit on the doping allegation for Backstrom. The f'n guy has allergies, not that his presence would have made a difference in the outcome. Sometimes logic doesn't rule the roost though.

I have no problem with the Olympics having standards, however if what is being reported is corrected that Backstrom informed the Swedish medical team beforehand then they should have caught the problem before the Olympics ever started.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:09 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Awwwww fuck Dick Pound and his cronies. They're so focused on catching people for something so miniscule as cold medicine the real 'roiders are slipping past. They need to narrow their focus and quit trying to cast such a wide net.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:33 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
Awwwww fuck Dick Pound and his cronies. They're so focused on catching people for something so miniscule as cold medicine the real 'roiders are slipping past. They need to narrow their focus and quit trying to cast such a wide net.

Dick Pound is a hero, the guy took on the corrupt IOC establishment and did a pretty good job cleansing it and probably saved the Olympics from itself. End result of his effort was he so pissed off the members he lost out on the Presidency even though he was most qualified with the most integrity.

diminishing it as nothing but 'cough medicine' reflects a complete lack of understanding about chemistry and should disqualify you from any opinion. However it seems ignorance is usually the most fertile soil for opinions to flourish in.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:46 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

Dick Pound is a hero, the guy took on the corrupt IOC establishment and did a pretty good job cleansing it and probably saved the Olympics from itself. End result of his effort was he so pissed off the members he lost out on the Presidency even though he was most qualified with the most integrity.

diminishing it as nothing but 'cough medicine' reflects a complete lack of understanding about chemistry and should disqualify you from any opinion. However it seems ignorance is usually the most fertile soil for opinions to flourish in.

Whatever works for ya. I will agree the IOC is as corrupt an organization as there is in the world. I realize the ADL are fighting what seems like a losing battle, so again, narrow the focus. The problem is there is so much damned confusion as to what is and what isn't a performance enhancer, or a masking agent.

I don't believe Backstrom was really taking a performance enhancer anymore than I think Jose Theodore was. But I'm not naive enough to believe that the NHL is clean by any means.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:35 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

Whatever works for ya. I will agree the IOC is as corrupt an organization as there is in the world. I realize the ADL are fighting what seems like a losing battle, so again, narrow the focus. The problem is there is so much damned confusion as to what is and what isn't a performance enhancer, or a masking agent.

I don't believe Backstrom was really taking a performance enhancer anymore than I think Jose Theodore was. But I'm not naive enough to believe that the NHL is clean by any means.

What works for me when disparaging the work of others for example "Awwwww fuck Dick Pound and his cronies" that there should be at least one piece of objective evidence in support of the assertion. They do important work, undoubtedly not perfect but they certainly deserve enough respect to have their work and character challenged by something substantive and not a bunch of fluffy, pseudo mumbo jumbo. That's just gossip and you're better than that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:19 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
What works for me when disparaging the work of others for example "Awwwww fuck Dick Pound and his cronies" that there should be at least one piece of objective evidence in support of the assertion. They do important work, undoubtedly not perfect but they certainly deserve enough respect to have their work and character challenged by something substantive and not a bunch of fluffy, pseudo mumbo jumbo. That's just gossip and you're better than that.

Fair enough. I reserve the right to call anyone on these boards out for similar rants, I'd be a hypocrite if I got all butthurt when the same is done to me.

Okay, dissing Pound and the ADL with a dismissive wank is admittedly puerile, but I don't think the ADL is necessarily taking the right approach. When Nicklas Backstrom and Jose Theodore are being sidelined for what appear to be honest mistakes while Lance Armstrong and his high-octane doping and obfuscation machine get away with 'roiding for years, there's something wrong here. I get that there's no perfect solution, but the current approach simply isn't working.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:28 pm 

http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2014/2/ ... orts-humor

If only...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:19 pm 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

I take pseudoephedrine all the time because of run-of-the-mill nasal congestion. It's performance enhancing in a life sense, but as it relates to athletics, it seems to me that it is more along the lines of applying iodine to a cut than, like, shooting up steroids. There is a point at which it's arbitrary what we decide should, and shouldn't, be allowed in a competition to test athletics. I'm not sure on what ethical basis pharmaceutical products could be really distinguished from other chemical alterations, such as diet and training regime. Or other unfair edges, such as money and genetics.

But this is coming from someone who doesn't really "get" the Olympics to begin with, so...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:21 pm 
Big in Japan

Quebec premier Pauline Marois just congratulated the Quebec-born members of Team Canada on winning the gold without ever mentioning the word Canada.

I've officially had enough of the Olympics.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:29 pm 

The IOC claims Backstrom's levels were far higher than someone merely taking them to combat allergies, but I'm still not convinced. When allergies hit hard here in the spring, I've seen people take anti-histamines and what not at double the recommended dosage just to get through the day. If I'm going scuba diving, you can rest assured if I got a case of the sniffles I'm going to do everything possible to breathe clearly before descending 40-60 feet. If I'm playing the game of my life, yeah, I'm going to make certain I am in optimal health.

This is why I take some umbrage with the IOC and ADL. We're using the same tactics to catch the Nicklas Backstroms of the sporting world as we are the Ryan Brauns, and I don't equate those two at all.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:36 pm 

It could be nothing, but the fallout from the St. Louis/Yzerman thing could be drastic, as now even McKenzie is reporting there could be some truth to the story that St. Louis was open to a trade following news he was initially snubbed.

Can't help but think this may have had something to do with Yzerman immediately "retiring" from future Team Canada involvement.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:10 pm 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

E.L. wrote:
Quebec premier Pauline Marois just congratulated the Quebec-born members of Team Canada on winning the gold without ever mentioning the word Canada.

Stay classy. Pauline. :golfclap:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:59 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Av-merican wrote:
It could be nothing, but the fallout from the St. Louis/Yzerman thing could be drastic. Can't help but think this may have had something to do with Yzerman immediately "retiring" from future Team Canada involvement.
Ah no.

Strategic move? Yes. Leaving while you are on the top? Yes? Olympic Hockey in Korea? No.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:02 am 

Logical Progression wrote:
Av-merican wrote:
It could be nothing, but the fallout from the St. Louis/Yzerman thing could be drastic. Can't help but think this may have had something to do with Yzerman immediately "retiring" from future Team Canada involvement.
Ah no.

Strategic move? Yes. Leaving while you are on the top? Yes? Olympic Hockey in Korea? No.

I know, I know, I can't imagine a guy as dedicated and, well, stoic, as Yzerman would let something seemingly petty like that keep him from being Canada's GM if he wanted. I'm also having a hard time believing St. Louis would be pissed to this point, especially since he Bolts are doing better than they have in a long time. At the same time, I'm surprised this story has gained as much traction as it has.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:51 am 

Pseudoephedrine doesn't just clear the sniffles. It increases heart rate, opens arteries, allowing more blood flow, more oxygen to muscles, and therefore gives faster recovery, and decreases likelihood of fatigue (and I believe are also the reasons it's it's used in crystal meth. Well, maybe not the fatigue part so much, but the rush... But I'm certainly not the expert here.). That said, it's not some super drug that will make me able to dunk a basketball. It should probably be allowed. Athletes in the 70s & early 80s swore by "greenies" for fatigue recovery.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:50 pm 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

E.L. wrote:

Soooo surprising. If there were an anglo-Quebec player on the team, he'd get zero interest from the PQ too.

edit: Actually, I'm surprised she condescended to mention the non-pure laine Luongo.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:12 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

E.L. wrote:

I've officially had enough of the Olympics.

Doesn't sound like it's the Olympics you've had enough of by that post.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 503 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next