OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 431 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:56 am 
OTP Historian

1-1-2 this summer so far, 9 goals given up(3-3,1-1,5-1,1-4). Been playing consistently well every game and I'm happy with it, even with a 4-1 loss last game where I had a ton of shots and lots of difficult stops.

Made two glove saves on the same shot last night :lol: Guy tried to go glove but I got it up and got a good piece, the puck was floating towards the top corner and I immediately swung the glove up again to catch it. I have no idea how I managed to do that.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:17 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I would compliment you, but I've been robbed similarly by (begins sneer & imitates Clint Eastwood's voice) goalies. :argh:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:44 pm 

Just won our league championship. :yayyy:

First 3 playoff games went to OT (one was double OT). Got our moneys' worth. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:35 am 
King of the One-Liner

Congrats on the victory!

Nice to see a beer league that keeps playing. Around here with ice time constraints you normally see five minutes OT and then a shoot out.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:30 am 
OTP Historian

I had the day off yesterday and decided to go play pickup and try out my new skates. Nobody likes to play pickup without 2 goalies so I filled my car with both sets of gear. Sure enough, there was only one goalie so I didn't get to try out the new skates :x

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:41 am 
King of the One-Liner

But it's nice to be wanted.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:21 pm 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:

But they only want me to use me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:47 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Hounsy wrote:

But they only want me to use me.

And you let them. Don't you feel dirty?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:12 am 
King of the One-Liner

But we get all the free ice time we want as goalies. It feels more like prostitution than dirty.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:42 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
But we get all the free ice time we want as goalies. It feels more like prostitution than dirty.

Found out the other day the bastards who run my local rink are charging goalies for pick-up games. No wonder we're shooting on empty nets. :chris18: Who charges goalies for pick-up games? Morons, that's who!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:51 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Hounsy wrote:

Found out the other day the bastards who run my local rink are charging goalies for pick-up games. No wonder we're shooting on empty nets. :chris18: Who charges goalies for pick-up games? Morons, that's who!

I have no problems paying to play in net. I'm on the ice just like everyone else so why shouldn't I? If they don't charge me fine but having to pay won't dissuade me from going over for pick-up, it's like $6 bucks here. It's nice not to have to shell out $15+ for rented ice though.

Had my first bad game of the summer on Wednesday. It took until our 7th game so that was good and we lost 6 or 7-1 so it wasn't like I cost us a win. Shoulda had a couple, puck took some crazy bounces on rebounds from shots in the slot and they always had 3 guys around the net so that's how it goes.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:44 pm 

It's $10 here, and runs 6- 7:30 AM. It used to be free for goalies. Maybe they got spoiled, but few, if any, are showing up now. :x

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:24 pm 
OTP Historian

Tonight'll be the 3rd week in a row playing 2 games in one night in my summer league. Been getting shelled lately. Feels like everything is going in even though I'm making stops. So many breakaways and odd man rushes. They moved some people around from the powerhouse teams and made no changes to hours. We haven't had our full lineup all the time which doesn't help.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:32 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Tonight'll be the 3rd week in a row playing 2 games in one night in my summer league. Been getting shelled lately. Feels like everything is going in even though I'm making stops. So many breakaways and odd man rushes. They moved some people around from the powerhouse teams and made no changes to hours. We haven't had our full lineup all the time which doesn't help.

Sounds like someone on your team pissed off the commissioner. At least that stuff happens in my league. Miraculously, the league commissioner plays in the league, and just happens to ref his next opponents' games... Advance scouting? Nah. Total coincidence!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:18 pm 
He of the red stockings

Chris18 wrote:
It's $10 here, and runs 6- 7:30 AM. It used to be free for goalies. Maybe they got spoiled, but few, if any, are showing up now. :x

I would never charge the goalies, pickup or league. You can't play without them. Well you can, but it rarely woks out well ...

I played for a team in a league run by a company, randomly picked supposedly. They were charging goalies half price, and let me tell you,there were a lot of crappy goalies in that league :laugh:
Our goalie wasn't bad, and he also told them no when they asked him to pay. Yay...they never did make him leave, and we won the championship
hmmm makes me wonder how fair that was

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:09 am 
King of the One-Liner

hipcheck wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

I would never charge the goalies, pickup or league. You can't play without them. Well you can, but it rarely woks out well ...

I played for a team in a league run by a company, randomly picked supposedly. They were charging goalies half price, and let me tell you,there were a lot of crappy goalies in that league :laugh:
Our goalie wasn't bad, and he also told them no when they asked him to pay. Yay...they never did make him leave, and we won the championship
hmmm makes me wonder how fair that was

I play a ton of pick up for free and will accept one free beer sometimes after the skate, but would rather be an equal partner for teams and tournaments. Nothing wrong with those that don't pay, it just feels weird and wrong to me in a team environment not doing everything the same way.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:37 pm 
He of the red stockings

I guess part of it is the cost of goaltender's gear, along with the urgent to have at least 1 for a team, and 2 for pick-up
In each case I always had a list of goalies in my roster book, and it would be much shorter if I was charging goalies
It's just very rare for this area to hear of it. Goalies can skate for free at so many locations, it's kinda hard to realistically charge them

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:48 am 
OTP Historian

hipcheck wrote:
I guess part of it is the cost of goaltender's gear, along with the urgent to have at least 1 for a team, and 2 for pick-up
In each case I always had a list of goalies in my roster book, and it would be much shorter if I was charging goalies
It's just very rare for this area to hear of it. Goalies can skate for free at so many locations, it's kinda hard to realistically charge them

We choose to play the position and so we choose to pay whatever we do for whatever gear we buy. That doesn't give a goalie the right to refuse to pay to play, seeing as how we're on the ice more than the skaters actually are. Like Hounsy said: nothing wrong with someone who doesn't pay if it's offered, but to refuse to pay is to just be a dick, scarce commodity or not.

Had a better game last game with my own team, won 3-2. Didn't get too many shots, which was nice after getting shelled in the first game playing for another team against a team who scores a ton.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:37 am 
King of the One-Liner

Though I don't pay when I am just filling in for a team and no one has ever asked.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:52 am 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
Though I don't pay when I am just filling in for a team and no one has ever asked.

Yeah I've never been asked when I was a fill-in.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 431 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next