OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:12 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_d ... um=twitter

True...he's managed to pawn off two of his most egregious mistakes, and made at least a few others, but truth of the matter is, Slats has finally managed to do more right than wrong, probably because of the fact that he's kept faith in his coach and his young players instead of just pawning them off for aged veterans. Will he do something stupid come deadline? Maybe, but at least now, the Rags are not a band of overpaid old farts.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:18 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I'd been impressed with his ability to hold this path.

I was really hoping the Richards signing would prove to be a chemistry debacle. Oh well. Even if it had, he'd just trade the problem player to Phoenix. Maloney is like a secondary waiver system for Sather.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:22 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
I'd been impressed with his ability to hold this path.

I was really hoping the Richards signing would prove to be a chemistry debacle. Oh well. Even if it had, he'd just trade the problem player to Phoenix. Maloney is like a secondary waiver system for Sather.

Nah, no way was Richards going to be a bust. Usually the Rags snagged a star when he was on the decline or paid way too much for a marginal scorer/role player. In hindsight, we shouldn't have been surprised that Richards/Gaborik didn't work, but both players are way too good to not be good on their own. Besides, the Rangers ironically have way more depth than they ever did in their free-spending days.

BTW, everyone does realize the Rags are paying Wolski more than the Yotes have to pay Rozsival, right? Yes, Wolski's cap hit is slightly less, but it's not like that deal was anything like the Gomez bailout. And at this point Rozie has done a hell of a whole lot more than Wolski has this season. Besides, both players are off the books as of this summer.

Phoenix hasn't really been the dumping ground for bad Rangers contracts. He got the better end of the Korpikoski/Lisin trade, and as mentioned, the better end of the Wolski/Rozsival trade. Is there another deal I'm forgetting? They traded Al Montoya of course, but both ended up giving up on him.

Now...if Phoenix ends up trading Biz Nasty for Wade Redden, THEN I'll believe something's up.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:59 am 

Oh fine. Discuss your facts if you must. I thought this was an internet chat board, where we banter in complete half truths & outright lies.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:36 pm 

A story sure to make Rags-haters around here cringe.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/12/sport ... imessports

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:42 pm 

Yes & no. What actually makes me cringe is the team's success. But the team wouldn't be in the position they're in without having had the ridiculous money to sign guys like Gomez to silly contracts. If Snow had that kind of money to spend the Isles probably wouldn't still be cellar dwellers. Or most other GMs for that matter.

And the "fire Sather" chants haven't stopped because they've got homegrown talent. It's because they're in first. Duh. When you can sign guys like Richards to those deals, it makes you look really smart. And maybe makes people forget signings like Gomez & Jagr's last year. But look at Richards again in like 5-9 years and let me know how good a signing it was. I know- that's what it's taking to sign top UFAs today. But whose fault is that? The GMs who can't help outbidding each other for silly contracts. Sather has certainly been one of them.

I'm not saying he hasn't done a good job overall. In the last few years he has. And who the hell knew Lundqvist would be what he is? 29 other GMs passed on him 6 times.... They should all be slapped for that. But hindsight is easy.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:50 am 

The most surprising thing about that article is that Slats has Doug Risebrough as a consultant about trades and free agent acquisitions. That's like having Larry King as your marriage counselor.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:45 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:03 am 

Ouch.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:01 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Av-merican wrote:

Look at that head-snap! Cleary embellishing! And as a Canucks fan, I should know!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:02 am 

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

Look at that head-snap! Cleary embellishing! And as a Canucks fan, I should know!

I think we should throw a puck at your face & measure your head-snap for comparison. :D
:fry:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:57 pm 

Guess the Rangers are definitely wanting some insurance for the playoffs. Fresh off an NCAA championship win, Chris Kreider signs a 2-year ELC and will be put on this year's postseason roster, meaning he will burn through year one of that deal the minute he shows up.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:39 pm 

And after the Nash trade, the Rags still reportedly have $13.3 million in cap room. Yeesh.

Nash - Richards - Callahan
Hagelin - Stepan - Gaborik
Kreider - Boyle - Rupp
Pyatt - Halpern - Kolarik

Not the biggest fan of Anisimov, but I think the Rangers might have some troubles replacing him. Not sure if Stepan is ready.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:51 pm 

Bob McKenzie wrote:
NYR sign UFA OA F Josh Nicholls, 20, of Saskatoon Blades. 41 goals and 73 points in 65 GP this season. Originally drafted by TOR in 2010.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:59 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

:(

The Rangers farm system is where ex-Blades go to die.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:14 am 

Okay...whew, I'm hearing Staal wasn't taken to the hospital. Wear a fuckin' visor next time you're out there, kid. That goes for the rest of ya.

It took until the mid-90s to finally see unhelmeted players completely gone from the game, which, to me, is still completely insane. It'll probably take another near-century before we see visors. Hockey just doesn't like change.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:08 am 

I would think the investments made by the owners would almost necessitate visors. And this generation of players grew up in the era of mandatory full facemasks in youth hockey, so it's not like they're just sooooooooooooooooo used to their free-willy faces that they couldn't possibly see through a visor.

The AHL has mandatory visors & the play isn't suffering. Maybe do like the helmet era, and grandfather in guys who currently don't wear visors, but all new NHLers have to wear one.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:34 am 

Chris18 wrote:
I would think the investments made by the owners would almost necessitate visors. And this generation of players grew up in the era of mandatory full facemasks in youth hockey, so it's not like they're just sooooooooooooooooo used to their free-willy faces that they couldn't possibly see through a visor.

The AHL has mandatory visors & the play isn't suffering. Maybe do like the helmet era, and grandfather in guys who currently don't wear visors, but all new NHLers have to wear one.

I think the more ground the PA loses on virtually everything else, the more they're going to stubbornly fight for the right to choose their own equipment.

I wouldn't even grandfather it in. You put the damned visor and kevlar socks on, or you don't play. And again, the NHL needs to do away with the visor instigator rule.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:47 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Av-merican wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

I think the more ground the PA loses on virtually everything else, the more they're going to stubbornly fight for the right to choose their own equipment.

I wouldn't even grandfather it in. You put the damned visor and kevlar socks on, or you don't play. And again, the NHL needs to do away with the visor instigator rule.

Seriously, they should have used it as leverage in the negotiations. "We'll help you out with insurance costs by making visors and kevlar socks mandatory if you make it a gradual fall to 50/50 instead of immediate."

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:22 pm 

At this rate the next CBA negotiation is going to be like "You WILL put on the visors, kevlar socks, NASCAR-like sponsorship jerseys, these new Reebok aerodynamic helmets that don't work but will bring profit to the owners, use this brand of stick, eat this meal and sleep our prescribed hours. And if you say 'no' to any of it, we're making tutus part of the uniforms. There's a fruitcake in Reebok's design team who feels they will really enhance to the league's image."

Mark my words. It'll go like that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next