OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: ROOTbeer Hockey
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:41 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Younger daughter (turns 3 in a month) had her first practice this morning! Had a blast. Woke up at 5:45 AM but was ready to go. Older sister helped her around the rink, both with big smiles. Good times. :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:02 pm 

1st year player to me "Coach, will I ever score a goal?"
Me "If you do what I tell you and play your position, I can almost guarantee you that you will." she rolled her eyes.

next shift- racked up an assist due to being in good position.
2 shifts later- popped in a rebound for her 1st ever goal! :D

It's hard to get kids to help you look smart, but in this case it worked out brilliantly. Rest of the kids were in position the rest of the game.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:15 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Chris18 wrote:
1st year player to me "Coach, will I ever score a goal?"
Me "If you do what I tell you and play your position, I can almost guarantee you that you will." she rolled her eyes.

next shift- racked up an assist due to being in good position.
2 shifts later- popped in a rebound for her 1st ever goal! :D

It's hard to get kids to help you look smart, but in this case it worked out brilliantly. Rest of the kids were in position the rest of the game.

Awesome feeling, that first goal. Good work coach!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:21 pm 

My 2 year old skated on her own today! She'd been standing on her own holding a traffic cone. She got bored with the cone & skated away from it. :D
She fell after 10' & was laughing like crazy when I went to pick her up. She also threw a fit when we were leaving- cause she wanted to sit in the penalty box. Future enforcer...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:37 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
My 2 year old skated on her own today! She'd been standing on her own holding a traffic cone. She got bored with the cone & skated away from it. :D
She fell after 10' & was laughing like crazy when I went to pick her up. She also threw a fit when we were leaving- cause she wanted to sit in the penalty box. Future enforcer...

Awesome :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:36 pm 

Dear Hockey Gods: Fuck you. Can these kids get one lucky bounce all season? Or how about a single game where the refs don't suck so much, they should be performing Tijuana donkey shows? How about that?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:31 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Dear Hockey Gods: Fuck you. Can these kids get one lucky bounce all season? Or how about a single game where the refs don't suck so much, they should be performing Tijuana donkey shows? How about that?

Well...apparently even Chris's kids are not exempt from the Isles Curse. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:58 am 

Av-merican wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Well...apparently even Chris's kids are not exempt from the Isles Curse. :lol:

I had a Ranger-fan parent accuse me of cursing the team with bad luck. Then I found out his kid's jersey had been washed. :ms: Washing a jersey mid-season removes all the good luck. No doubt about it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:34 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Av-merican wrote:
I had a Ranger-fan parent accuse me of cursing the team with bad luck. Then I found out his kid's jersey had been washed. :ms: Washing a jersey mid-season removes all the good luck. No doubt about it.

Oh yeah...you NEVER wash a jersey during the season. Everyone knows that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:55 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Av-merican wrote:
Oh yeah...you NEVER wash a jersey during the season. Everyone knows that.

I wash my jersey every time I wear it.

Luck is for the weak!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:52 pm 

...says the guy called FIVE HOLE!

Didn't wash MY kid's jersey. Game tying goal with 1:54 to go. 1-1 game. Hellz yeah!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:15 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Chris18 wrote:
...says the guy called FIVE HOLE!

Didn't wash MY kid's jersey. Game tying goal with 1:54 to go. 1-1 game. Hellz yeah!

Five hole? my leg pads (like most other goalies) is far to comically over sized to let a puck sneak through.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:43 pm 

Thought i remember you saying your nickname was five-hole. ???

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:03 am 
King of the One-Liner

Chris18 wrote:

If I did it was a joke and does sound like something I would say. Luckily I already had the nickname Hounsy before I played hockey so that carried over.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:15 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

If I did it was a joke and does sound like something I would say. Luckily I already had the nickname Hounsy before I played hockey so that carried over.

I think we'll have to call in the OTP Historian on this one. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:11 pm 

So much for luck. Got thrown out of a game & getting my first ever suspension. Complete psycho ref. Missed a blatant charge, fight ensued, parents yelled. ref yelled back & tried to clear all our parents/spectators from building. Ran clock to try & make them move out... I explained that's a violation of USA Hockey rules, not to mention being like Communist China. Ref flipped. I stayed very calm, but continued to make my case that the ref was in clear violation of rules. Tossed, which brings "automatic" 1 game suspension. Appealing.

I volunteer for this. And I'm writing this while watching yet another cash grab, USA Hockey "age specific" coaching module. Module is for mites, and I'm in the middle of a 45 minute section- on drug & alcohol abuse. Mites. Yep. Total boozers...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:06 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Sounds like the official lost complete control of the situation.

Yeah, I had to do one of those "Athlete Protection" online programs as a USA Swimming official. As an official, I have very little actual contact with the kids directly other than at meets, and even then, it is very public. The program itself was written and prepared for swim coaches who do have plenty of contact with the kids. Why more of them don't allow parents on deck during practices is beyond me...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:45 pm 
He of the red stockings

Chris18 wrote:
So much for luck. Got thrown out of a game & getting my first ever suspension. Complete psycho ref. Missed a blatant charge, fight ensued, parents yelled. ref yelled back & tried to clear all our parents/spectators from building. Ran clock to try & make them move out... I explained that's a violation of USA Hockey rules, not to mention being like Communist China. Ref flipped. I stayed very calm, but continued to make my case that the ref was in clear violation of rules. Tossed, which brings "automatic" 1 game suspension. Appealing.

I volunteer for this. And I'm writing this while watching yet another cash grab, USA Hockey "age specific" coaching module. Module is for mites, and I'm in the middle of a 45 minute section- on drug & alcohol abuse. Mites. Yep. Total boozers...

Mike?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:52 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Hounsy wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

I think we'll have to call in the OTP Historian on this one. ;)

That one I don't remember...my older bro gets made fun of for his 5-hole, though.

Hounsy, how big are your pads?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:43 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Bosc wrote:
Hounsy, how big are your pads?

34 + 2 which is stock size for Simmons Ultra line so nothing that is ridiculous in reality. For a forty year old my B-fly width is good so don't need to up the thigh rise as most custom gear orders tend to do.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 19  Next