OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 409 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: The Hard Luck Franchise
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:59 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

http://www.coppernblue.com/2010/10/28/1 ... management

http://www.habsinsideout.com/main/39104

Basically, Columbus is sinking as a NHL franchise, but for plainly obvious reasons: the market is relatively small (21st of 24 US markets), but still big enough to be a success. Doug MacLean fucked this team up pretty damn good, and the NHL lockout killed attendance: they were above 95% capacity pre-lockout, and have not hit those heights since. Also, if they were an Eastern Conference team, they would've made the playoffs for about 3 consecutive years, but they're stuck as the most Eastern WC team, playing in the toughest division in the NHL. Add to the fact that Ohio's economy really took a beating the past couple of years, and their patriarchal owner died, it's been a tough situation.

But with uniforms like theirs, we definitely need to keep this team in the NHL.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:48 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

It's really gonna suck if Mason pulls a Raycroft. Certainly looks like he might.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:19 am 
Big in Japan

With Columbus, the feeling was always that a winning team would cure all, but has that window closed? They have to find a way to make the playoffs this year. If they don't Howson is out, but how can you go to the few remaining fans you have left and explain to them that another managerial team (and possibly another rebuild) will be needed?

Rapid expansion was a mistake in every conceivable way, but the biggest problem it created was too many shitty teams, all of whom desperately needed to create a playoff contender from scratch at the same time.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:55 am 

I've read more than one article that said the worst possible thing that happened with this franchise was its better-than-expected inaugural season. Sometimes unexpected success can kill a team long-term, kinda like the Oilers surprise trip to the SCF a few years back. It's probably the reason why both MacLean AND Risebrough were given carte blanche to destroy their respective franchises.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:26 pm 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:
I've read more than one article that said the worst possible thing that happened with this franchise was its better-than-expected inaugural season. Sometimes unexpected success can kill a team long-term, kinda like the Oilers surprise trip to the SCF a few years back. It's probably the reason why both MacLean AND Risebrough were given carte blanche to destroy their respective franchises.

Oil aren't suffering at the gate at all. Wild are off by a little(96.4% this year, but were over 100% last year). I don't think those 2 situations are in any way comparable to the Jackets.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:42 pm 

BoscUlrichIII wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

Oil aren't suffering at the gate at all. Wild are off by a little(96.4% this year, but were over 100% last year). I don't think those 2 situations are in any way comparable to the Jackets.

I wasn't comparing the attendance figures, just the general on-ice product. The Wylde under Lemaire, quite frankly overachieved which kept an idiot like Doug Risebrough in charge. Same with Lowe in Edmonton, and, well, to a lesser degree MacLean. Of course MacLean was kinda/sorta still riding on the coattails of his early success in Florida as well as some early success in Columbus.

The unfortunate thing is that the Jax had great attendance to start but simply couldn't sustain incompetent management like Minny and Edmonton could.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:13 pm 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

Av-merican wrote:
The unfortunate thing is that the Jax had great attendance to start but simply couldn't sustain incompetent management like Minny and Edmonton could.

The Blue Jackets are the Vancouver Grizzlies on ice -- right down to the condescending comments from fans of other teams who know nothing about the area.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:41 pm 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

Personally I like the mascot:

really.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:48 pm 

Awww, I kinda loved the double entendre reference, Blue Jackets referring to both the Civil War AND a Yellowjacket. I must admit though they were wise to get rid of the "electric green" from their uniforms.

Hopefully this new 3rd jersey doesn't suck.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:02 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Av-merican wrote:
Awww, I kinda loved the double entendre reference, Blue Jackets referring to both the Civil War AND a Yellowjacket. I must admit though they were wise to get rid of the "electric green" from their uniforms.

Hopefully this new 3rd jersey doesn't suck.

I like the other double entendre reference for the team, especially since they do indeed suck.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:44 am 

Off topic but I do like how they continue to have hard luck against us.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=340892

I'll probably eat these words by season's end but as Daffy Duck once said, what the hey I gotta have some fun.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:50 am 

I was tempted to re-name this the "Official Steve Mason Blows Thread".

2 goals allowed on 4 shots, and that 2nd goall...are you kidding me!?

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/consol ... highlights

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:56 am 

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2010/11/29/ ... mer-cannon

:doh:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:05 pm 

Well...the hard luck continues, and just when Columbus desperately needs things to go right for a change.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=569295

Kristian Huselius tears a pectoral muscle lifting weights and will miss around 4-6 months.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:50 pm 

Nice replacement...IF he stays healthy. Jax sign Vinny Prospal.

A top line of Nash-Carter-Prospal or Nash-Prospal-Carter would be pretty effective IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:46 am 

You'd think with all the hard luck and general suckage this franchise has endured since its inception that they had already suffered through an 0-3 start to a season.

Well, they hadn't. Until now.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:03 pm 
OTPoliceman

It's called defence and goaltending. The Blue Jax have had none, outside Mason's rookie season and he appears to be a flash in the pan.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:40 pm 

drl perfect III wrote:
It's called defence and goaltending. The Blue Jax have had none, outside Mason's rookie season and he appears to be a flash in the pan.

Yup, he gave up at least one very bad goal in last night's contest.

I have a feeling Howson will be losing his job this year.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:55 am 

Well...the Jax are currently dead last in the Western Conference, and only 1 point ahead of the pointless Winnipeg Jets.

I caught this on HF, thought it was worth sharing:

joshjoshjosh on HF wrote:
If the Blue Jackets were a bank the Federal Reserve would be giving them billions of dollars in bailouts.
If the Blue Jackets were a politician they'd be naked on the internet.
If the Blue Jackets were a flavor of Starburst they would be lemon.
If the Blue Jackets were a steak they would be well done.
If the Blue Jackets were a check they would bounce.
If the Blue Jackets were a fart they'd make you go to the bathroom and check.
If the Blue Jackets were an episode of The Office they would be one without Steve Carell.
If the Blue Jackets were a Godfather movie they would be Godfather 3.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:08 pm 

Jeff Carter out with a hairline fracture of his foot.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/4 ... -foot.html

So that's BOTH of Columbus's big acquisitions out of the lineup for the time being.

Might want to update that resume, Howson.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 409 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next