OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:16 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2010/11 ... ro-recover

Quote:
Quite simply, with an .854 SV% and 4.21 GAA, Rick DiPietro is off to a historically bad start. How bad? Only 12 goalies have finished the season with a sub .875 SV% and more then 13 games played since 99-00. Of that group, only Brian Boucher is still playing in the NHL today.

The post goes on to mention such ignominious names as Dan Cloutier, Byron Dafoe, and Damian Rhodes. Yipes.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:32 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

to say he's "rusty" is an understatement. He's made bad decisions in the crease, behind the net, with the puck, which pad to use for a save, etc. I think they should have started him in Bridgeport for a few games. He's just not up to pro speed.

Can he recover? Ultimately I think he can be a good NHL goalie again. However, he needs to realize he's not lightning fast anymore. He needs to learn better positioning, as he isn't going to recover as well as he did prior 2 years of press box sitting. In other words, he needs to completely change his style of play. I think he can, but will he? He's matured off the ice, but not on it. If he can mature and become more of a stay at home goalie, I think he'll be okay. If not, he'll be the 2nd anchor on the Isles' payroll. And I don't mean anchor as in mainstay, I mean an anchor when you're trying to tread water....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:34 pm 

One thing's for sure...Dunham ain't helping. Of all the moves Snow has made (and honestly I'm not quite sure why Isles fans are so ready to fire his ass) that one was definitely his worst.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:31 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
One thing's for sure...Dunham ain't helping. Of all the moves Snow has made (and honestly I'm not quite sure why Isles fans are so ready to fire his ass) that one was definitely his worst.

They blame him for not obtaining a "few top 6 forwards" in the offseason. I think it especially hurt him that he was able to sign a few decent UFA D-men, so it looks like he didn't go after any offense at all. With the team unable to score, it exposes his inability to land a good forward. PA Parenteau & Mike Grabner aren't exactly loved on LI so far. Not that they've been bad, but they aren't good enough to satisfy a fan base that has been fairly patiently waiting for a contender. I point out that Kovalchuk is hardly helping the Devils & I get called names. :lol: They need someone to blame. Okposo & Streit's shoulders can't take much heat.... I find it hysterical that Streit is on the All Star ballot. Great thinly veiled effort by the league to ensure that Tavares (only other Isle on the ballot) is an All Star in his 2nd year.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:31 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:37 am 
OTP Historian

KO!

Johnson lost a shutout for skating the length :lol:

Anyone know why DiPietro decided to give that guy the blocker?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:51 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

Classy move by Johnson with the little handshake before he gets up. Gotta love hockey!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:18 pm 
Old Man of the Post

BoscUlrichIII wrote:

Because that guy was Matt Cooke.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:32 pm 
OTP Historian

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
BoscUlrichIII wrote:

Because that guy was Matt Cooke.

Makes sense.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:03 pm 

Quote:
BREAKING (literally): Rick DiPietro out 4-6 weeks with facial fractures and knee swelling. #Isles

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:25 pm 
Old Man of the Post

That's one of the first things that came to mind when I saw him challenge the other goalie. But the way he's been playing, him being out probably isn't the worst news for Islanders fans...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:13 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Av-merican wrote:
Quote:
BREAKING (literally): Rick DiPietro out 4-6 weeks with facial fractures and knee swelling. #Isles

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=352423

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:11 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

perfect opportunity for Nabakov to get in there and showcase himself for a deadline trade. DO IT NABBY!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:07 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

Actually, apparently Emery's hip is feeling better. Given his fighting abilities he would be a perfect fit to get them some payback for this debacle.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:08 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Apparently the Ducks have all but signed Emery to be their 3rd goalie. I don't know if Emery wants to just go up and go to the NHL right off the hop... he is prepared for, and likely needs, AHL time.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:56 pm 

And in this cornerrrrrrrrrrr, Rickety Rick "Glass Jaw" DiP-ahooooooooooooole!

Mikko Koskinen, come on down! You're the next contestant on "be the Islanders inexperienced goalie!"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:04 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
And in this cornerrrrrrrrrrr, Rickety Rick "Glass Jaw" DiP-ahooooooooooooole!

Mikko Koskinen, come on down! You're the next contestant on "be the Islanders inexperienced goalie!"

At the very least you could say Koskinen's face would be harder to break...no one can reach it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:06 pm 

It's awesome when Kevin Poulin is the "experienced" goalie on the team. :lol:

Although rumo(u)r has it that Nabakov has realized he may not be able to play next year if he doesn't get his ass to LI. Supposedly he'll split with agent Don Meehan, blame Meehan for the whole thing, and hope he plays well enough to make everyone forget what a wanker he's been.

If he were to show up now, many would still hate him- unless he plays really well. Personally, I prefer to see him rot and the Isles toll his contract for next year. But if he does show up, I hope he is a better short term mentor to Poulin & Koskinen than DPahole. You are probably winding the keyboard up to respond something like "DPahole- SHORT term? :lol:... " But with how often he's hurt, I look at his career in short bursts. Maybe sputters.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:07 am 
King of the One-Liner

Bad news saw this on Twitter somewhere yesterday.

"Earthquake felt in Long Island, Rick Dipietro out for the season."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:06 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
Bad news saw this on Twitter somewhere yesterday.

"Earthquake felt in Long Island, Rick Dipietro out for the season."

I sort of feel bad for him sometimes. Sometimes.

That said I gave my team's goalie the DPahole award the other night. He went out to play the puck & passed it right to the other team. Couldn't get back into the net in time... :chairshot: