OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hockey Pool Scouting
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:00 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Agreed on most of your bust list except Hemsky--he's a playmaking winger who's had linemates who don't mesh the past few years. Injuries have obviously played a part as well. He'll get plenty of power play time and the Oilers have a huge infusion of young talent to go with this season. He's a gamble for sure but I wouldn't call him a surefire bust.

And Christensen sucks. They keep trying to use someone other than Prospal to center Gaborik but rest assured he'll end up there when Callahan, Drury, and Christensen all fail in that capacity.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:20 pm 
Working for the Weekend

Im only taking Christensen if its round 16 and there's nobody left but 3rd and 4th liners. Im skiddish on Hemsky , he's burnt me in the pass.. it all depends on how far they drop. Itll be interesting to see if Hall gets drafted before Hemsky.

So here are my tips for a live draft. I've been running my pool for 20 drafts this will be our 21st draft and I've seen a lot for hockey pool failure and success.

1. Do not drink or smoke up. Never seen a team that got toasted or pissed win. Now , consider this an investment.. bring a case of beer and a joint or two and pass them out. Just saying , if you aint playing dirty , you aint playin to win!

2. Im guilty as anybody but dont get too cute , draft the best player available.. safe picks win you pools. Avoid the urge to draft your favourite or surprise picks.. pick like a robot.

and from a commisioners point of view , if you're a guest in a pool. Be a Stevie Yzerman/Joe Sakic and be polite and respectful: show up , shut up and pay up. I had to boot two guys from the pool last year caz they were grade A douche bags. Live in person kicking out is much different than internet booting out lol. .. and I hear the same jokes every stinking year.. somebody will draft so and so and somebody will shout out " he broke his leg!".. this comedy needs to die. Or the new one . the guy whom drafts Nicklas Backstrom.. somebody always responds " the goalie?".. yes , he drafted the goalie in a points only pool.. ha ha ha.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:00 pm 
Working for the Weekend

This is how the 1st round went

1. Ovechkin
2. Crosby
3. Backstrom
4. Thornton
5. H. Sedin
6. D. Sedin
7. Stamkos
8. Malkin
9. Heatly
10. Kovalchuk
11. Kopitar
12. Kane
13. St.Louis
14. Lecavalier

I cant believe Malkin slipped down to 8th.. I thought there was an outside chance I could nab him at 10th. I was very surprised Getzlaf slipped outside the 1st round entirely into mid 2nd round.

my team in a points only (top 12 scorers need 2D minimum)
1. Kovalchuk -at 10th , it was either Kovalchuk , Parise , Getzlaf or Kane.
2. Parise - still could've had Getzlaf but I wanted the combo.
3. J.Carter -
4. Zajac ... it was either he or Pavelski but I had to get the entire line. Mike Richards went right before Zajac.. almost had two elite combos.
5. Wolski
6. Samuelsson - I was surprised he slipped to 6th in a Vancouver based pool
7. Hall
8. Oshie
9. Goligoski - I annually get burnt by Crosby and Malkin's teammates.
10. Comrie - ditto above.
11. Erik Karlsson - this one I didnt like too much.
12. Booth
13. Foster
14. Filatov
15. Yandle
16. Van Reimsdyk - it was either between Stempniak , Christensen , Tangradi

I clearly live and die with New Jersey's big line. I really really like them this year to be the "best line in hockey" for 2010-11.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:07 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

Why no like Erik Karlsson? After watching him in the playoffs I took him in two pools!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:12 pm 
Working for the Weekend

I dont know if he'll get PP1 time , reminds me of Matts Niskanen in Dallas , I took him around the same spot last year coming off a 35 point season , QBing Dallas PP with RIchards , he flopped bad.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:06 pm 

Apologies if I already mentioned this, but I see Turris is available in our league and likely didn't get picked up in yours--Mirtle and other writers have been saying he's taken the next step and this SHOULD be his breakout year. Of course developing young talent isn't exactly Tippett's strong suit.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:04 pm 
Working for the Weekend

there were a few interesting undrafted trends in my pool

Carolina: Only Eric Staal and Jussi Jokinen were drafted from the forwards. Nobody took a chance on O'sullivan , Skinner, Cole , Ruutu , Sutter ,.. its rare to see only 2 guys from a team get selected. Malhotra was selected for crying out loud. Pitkanen was the only other Cane taken. I was looking at McBain but I went with the safer D instead. When you think about it Eric Staal could be in a for crappy year point wise.. nobody to play with.

Colorado: More top 6 forwards undrafted: TJ Galiardi or Yip.. David Jones is apparently centring line 2 to start .. 3 top 6 forwards in Colorado went undrafted. None of their D lol

Chicago: Stalberg and Kopecky were selected but not Brouwer and Bickell.

Phoenix: speaking of the Yotes.. the guy who scored 14 goals in 18 games Stempniak went undrafted while a guy like Andrew Ladd was selected late. Neither was Boedker but I didnt hear anything about Boedker this pre-season.

ANahiem: nobody trusted Belesky nor would I and nobody took Jason Blake either. Yet again its hard to ignore 1st liners over guys like Malhotra , Torres , Ladd , Kopecky,..etc

NYI: nobody took Bailey , Comeau , or Wisneiski . I think only 3 Islanders were picked (JT , Moulson , Neilson)

Toronto: Nobody took anybody outside their projected PP1 unit.. unless Im forgetting Im pretty sure nobody took Kulemin , Grabovski.

Vancouver: Hodgson , Bieksa , Ballard , .. went undrafted. Malhotra , Torres and Hamhuis were drafted.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:07 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Boedker didn't make the team.

Whoever picked Raffi Torres should have their membership in the league revoked for stupidity. Even if it was you, CL. :)

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:14 pm 
Working for the Weekend

are you kidding me?lol I didnt want to touch the Canucks this year caz I thought they were going to get over valued ( too many career years) .. but Samuelsson at round 6 was fair value. Thats in the 60+point range.. thats realistic.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:18 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

cannots luvah wrote:
I dont know if he'll get PP1 time , reminds me of Matts Niskanen in Dallas , I took him around the same spot last year coming off a 35 point season , QBing Dallas PP with RIchards , he flopped bad.

I think the offensive talent level between EK and Niskanen is worlds apart. Karlsson gained steam as the year went on and was huge at the end of the season and in the playoffs (I was watching him closely because I had him in my keeper league). Who knows if he will be PP1 but I think they should given lack of offensive weapons and if he was on there with Gonchar could be huge. I am hoping for 50+ points for EK this year, seems crazy but he looks like the real deal.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:44 pm 
Working for the Weekend

I hope so. I would be happy with anything above 40. The only other D I was contemplating that was taken between my picks was Zidlicky , Greene. As you mentioned I liked Karlsson's natural talent base more.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:27 pm 
Working for the Weekend

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=rotowire-oeavelskissignedtohi
ACcording to this Pavelski is centring the third line. WTF!? even if this was true which I dont believe , and they also have Clowe as his third line linemate , who the fuck is in their top 6?!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:33 pm 

cannots luvah wrote:
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=rotowire-oeavelskissignedtohi
ACcording to this Pavelski is centring the third line. WTF!? even if this was true which I dont believe , and they also have Clowe as his third line linemate , who the fuck is in their top 6?!

http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=539726

McGinn-Thornton-Setoguchi
Marleau-Couture-Heatley
Clowe-Pavelski-Mitchell
McLaren-Nichol-Mayers

Logan Couture and Jamie McGinn's stock just went through the roof! Or, a temporary boost until the lines are reshuffled back to normal. :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:24 pm 
Working for the Weekend

the guy who took Pavelski took him 2 spots ahead of me , I was choked at the time but maybes it a blessing... if WOlski and Samuelssson come through for me.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:58 pm 
Illegitimate Luongo Child

so, question. Dude just dropped Tim Thomas in my pool, my goalies are pretty, umm weak, save for Anderson in Colorado

i've got Dan #notmyproblem Ellis and Nittymaki in SJ.

also Mike Smith is free, so i could go with the Smith/Ellis tandem!

should i drop one of the bottom two for timmy?

gah soo many questions this young season! i'm currently in 3rd and if you can believe it 30 points outta first already!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:18 pm 

I would take Smith but not Timmy. Of course Smith has battled concussion issues but I think the D in front of him will be much better with Kubina back where he belongs and Hedman taking the next step (hopefully). Plus Yzerman made his best acquisition this offseason behind the bench.

And luvah did you say Jones is centering the 2nd line? Actually he's the left wing. Yip is on the 3rd line with O'Reilly (for now).

As for their D, I think Liles will be good for anyone desperate for some offensiive blueliners. He's still the best puckmover on the team and unless injuries pile up again (Foote and Cumiskey were held out of practice the other day, so don't say I didn't warn ya) he should be in for a decent year. It's also a safe bet, depending on how the Avs do and how well a couple prospects develop in Cleveland, that he won't be in Colorado come deadline time.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:18 am 

If you believe in sophmore slumps, snap up Timmy right now. It's actually pretty logical to think that Tuuka Rask will drop enough for Thomas to get another go this year, and Boston is a good team. It might take some time to fall into place, but I'd do it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:14 am 
2 Legit 2 Quit

MrBumpNgrind wrote:
so, question. Dude just dropped Tim Thomas in my pool, my goalies are pretty, umm weak, save for Anderson in Colorado

i've got Dan #notmyproblem Ellis and Nittymaki in SJ.

also Mike Smith is free, so i could go with the Smith/Ellis tandem!

should i drop one of the bottom two for timmy?

gah soo many questions this young season! i'm currently in 3rd and if you can believe it 30 points outta first already!

Safe play is drop niitty and get the TBay tandem. You are giving up a shot at the starter in SJ, but you will not have to spend time following what is happening with that tandem and you have a solid tbay duo.

Upside play is keep niitty and hope for the best, or pick up borobosky in philly and hope he stays the starter after leighton comes back. i'd definitely take him over thomas.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:39 am 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

I read this thread and realize how weak my pre-draft preparations are. :doom:

Do none of you just throw a dart at the top 25 stats sheets? Sheesh...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:48 am 
Working for the Weekend

dude , you probably have a better chance at winning then guys lke me lol its true. As long as you dont draft injured guys , unsigned guys .. its all blind luck.