OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:54 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
Bednar cleared--I was guessing he might since Baugh posted that it was an "irregularity" in his test results, not a positive test.

Yay, one hurdle cleared!

They grab too many nose hairs on the swab?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:35 pm 
King of Men

Umm what kind of trash brand of hockey is this that Vegas is playing? I get that everyone wants to see them but this is ridiculous. Holding guys down? Laying on top of them?

F'n embarassing!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:49 pm 
King of Men

Going to need some grit in Colorado next time around. 2nd time in a row that formula has worked on them. Shame! Shame!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:50 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

harmfuljays wrote:
Going to need some grit in Colorado next time around. 2nd time in a row that formula has worked on them. Shame! Shame!

Naw. They just need better players. They gotta quit fucking around with Jost and Compher as top six options. Both guys are fourth line players and both guys muffed prime scoring chances throughout this series. Using those two as the 2nd and 3rd line centers did more to doom this team than anything else.

I’ll have more cogent thoughts on Nemeth and Graves at another time but, those two guys really have no business on a legit contender.

Also, not sure if the goaltending was good enough either. Grubauer just cannot give up a goal like the one he gave up to open this game. He just can’t. I’d say he also overplayed what ended up being the game and series winning goal when he came way too far out to challenge a shooter and left the net wide open for Pietrangelo to put it in.

Beyond that, I have thoughts but I’m just kinda sad right now. Bummed for sure but I’m not really angry. It ain’t worth getting angry about sports at my age. It was still a super-fun regular season to watch.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:36 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Bummer. I was hoping to see the Avs move on.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:44 am 
OTP Historian

This kind of reminds me of when Colorado beat Detroit in '99. Detroit came out guns blazing after their consecutive Cup win and swept Anaheim. Won the first two against Colorado and then proceeded to lose the next 4. Yzerman was on fire to start the playoffs with 9 goals and 3 assists in the first 7 games.

Detroit pounded Colorado in shots in those 4 losses but gave up a shit ton of goals and you're not going to win much doing that with Roy on the other side.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:00 pm 
King of Men

On paper this team was super legit....so adding more talent on a team now close to the cap is going to be difficult. Most times throughout the season the Avalanche had an embarrassment of riches compared to the rest of the league. But I know its hard to do an end of year when it really shouldn't have been.

There is no doubt this team was pressured in a very similar manner and did not rise to the occasion once again. Who What and Where that is a problem can be hard to identify and even harder to correct (check out Calgary).

As long as the league allows 2 completely different play styles between the regular/playoffs I am not sure there is much to be done here. The Avs are not built in the style of Tampa, NYI, or Vegas.

They've got some decisions to make on what direction they want to go and what holes they want to plug but I'll save that for the post mortem contribution.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:32 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

No doubt I was very disappointed in the performances of MacKinnon and Landeskog in this series, especially the latter. Landy was TERRIBLE in the final two games, and I'm just not sure what to make of that. That said, I don't think, like some Avs fans, that he should be allowed to walk.

I'm a little less bullish on Grubauer. There's only one goalie out there (Merzlikins) who's probably a substantial upgrade on him, but he'd be costly in a trade and also to sign. Anyone else available is pretty clearly a step down. Did not love Grubby's final couple games. He was...average. And you just...can't give up a goal like he did in game six. That's far and away the softest goal he's ever given up in his pro career and he chose the worst possible time to do it. Vezina finalist or not, he better not be demanding elite goalie money, because he is most certainly not elite.

But lost in the fact that key players failed to step it up is that this team still has serious depth issues. Tyson Jost really isn't a third line center, let alone second line center, yet he was played like one because of stupid fucking Kadri getting himself suspended again. Either way, even if Kadri was still playing, Jost got completely flattened every time he took the ice against the Knights, and this is the second year in a row he's had a poor showing in the playoffs. It's time to move on. He's a very good defensive player, but his offense is nonexistent (muffed at least a couple prime opportunities in this series to put games away) and since he's not big nor fast, he really becomes a non-factor once the whistles get put away. And he also proved that being shitty in the faceoff circle can cost you dearly. Avs were hoping for more than a good-ish fourth line center when they picked him 10th overall in 2016, but that's all he is. It's time to move on. Also time for J.T. Compher and his terrible contract to leave.

I'm not really worried at all about Girard. Give him a better defensive partner than the ones he was stuck with (Graves and Nemeth) and he'll do much better.