OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 3:38 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Interesting news breaking from Elliotte Friedman.

The Avs are choosing not to renew the contract of the head of Amateur Scouting, Alan Hepple. Hepple was the in-house replacement for Rick Pracey, who had a disastrous run as the Avs draft guru following his coup de grace in 2009 that snagged Duchene, O'Reilly, and Barrie, culminating in a horrid 2014 draft that saw them draft exactly ZERO NHL players.

Hepple was an improvement on Pracey, but that ain't sayin' much. The drafts from 2017 on appear to be yielding some legit prospects, so that's definitely a step in the right direction, but I think Hepple still might have had a few too many misses, especially outside of the first round.

One story that made the rounds was from the 2019 draft. Apparently in the third round the Avs had a player pegged who got picked right before they were up, and they had to call for a time out and scrambled like hell. They eventually took winger Matthew Stienburg, whose dad is an old friend and teammate of Sakic's, but doesn't project to be more than a fringe 4th liner. Afterward Hepple admitted they "got beat up a little" in the later rounds of that draft. Don't know if that incident contributed to this decision, but it couldn't have helped.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 4:21 pm 
Big in Japan

How is that even possible? Just grab McKenzie's list of you're that stuck...

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 4:31 pm 

E.L. wrote:
How is that even possible? Just grab McKenzie's list of you're that stuck...

You'd think right? I don't get it either.

Anyway, I'm reading Wade Klippenstein is the guy they're opting to promote, and have been essentially grooming him for the role for a while now. Don't know much about him, bounced around the WHL for a LONG time as a coach or front office guy after a brief playing career, then joined up with the Avs in 2016 as a scout.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:41 am 

Avs sign 23-year-old Swedish center Andreas Wingerli. Apparently he's been quite noticeable at the Worlds.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/1 ... s-wingerli

From what I understand he might be one of the fastest skaters in the world. Has skill and scraps like hell for pucks. If there's anything that'll keep him from making it in the NHL, it'll be his lack of size. Listed at 5'8", 170 lbs. they say he's closer to 5'7" and maybe 160 lbs. Definitely worth a look at least.

I'm told his linemate, Jonatan Berggren, is a prospect for the Red Wings.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:15 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
Avs sign 23-year-old Swedish center Andreas Wingerli.

:psyduck:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:39 pm 

Well he’ll be a winger in the NHL for sure if he makes it. Apparently he’s terrible at faceoffs and again, he’s little.

Then again the Avs are terrible at faceoffs anyway so maybe they’ll just keep him there.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:42 pm 

Avs apparently not done on the undrafted front. They sign QMJHL playoff MVP (also a teammate of Avs prospect Alex Beaucage) Benjamin Tardif. Don't know much about him, but it's a one-way deal.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/3 ... min-tardif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:01 pm 

Avs may have gotten a real gem in Oskar Olausson. The kid is absolutely ripping it up in Barrie, with 7 goals and 2 assists in 6 games, most recently scoring a hat trick.

Sean Behrens is off to a good start with DU, 4 points in 6 games. Another undersized puckmoving wunderkind, the Avs seem to do well with this type of player.

I'm glad the Avs seem to be drafting relatively well of late. They need to really start finding value in lower rounds now that cap space and lottery picks are no longer a luxury.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:38 pm 

Some good news on the prospect front. First round pick from this year's draft, Oskar Olausson, is lighting it up in his first year in North America, playing for the Barrie Colts..

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/4 ... r-olausson

Also, Sean Behrens, defenseman taken in the 2nd round, is kicking major ass for the local Pioneers at the University of Denver.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/4 ... an-behrens

I'm also hearing word Drew Helleson is developing fantastically.

Gonna need them ALL at the rate bodies keep dropping at the NHL level.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:36 pm 

Oskar Olausson continues to impress, and apparently the Canadian restaurant chain known as Pita Pit is helping him adjust to life in North America.

https://twitter.com/Peter_Baugh/status/ ... _&ref_url=

Justus Annunen snagged his first NHL win the other night (also got an assist for his first NHL point thanks to Cale Makar) against the Flyers. It wasn't high art by any means, but he outdueled Martin Jones on the other end, so a win is a win. Currently back in Loveland.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:21 am 

Drew Helleson (2nd rounder in 2019) was recently named to USA's olympic roster.

Matthew Stienburg (3rd rounder in 2019) earned ECAC Player of the Month honors and is a Hobey Baker nominee.

Oskar Olausson was recently traded from the Barrie Colts to the Oshawa Generals for some kid I've never heard of and a whole slew of draft picks. As I understand it, picks get thrown around like monopoly money in junior because players don't necessarily have to report to the team that drafts them and what not. Whatever, it ain't my problem.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:32 pm 

https://twitter.com/Oshawa_Generals/sta ... _&ref_url=

So, couple things to note.

1. Bruins prospect Brett Harrison scores the goal here, but it's Oskar Olausson with the assist, giving him three points on the night and 43 points on the season thus far.
2. Yes, you heard that right...there's a defenseman on the Generals' roster whose name is David Jesus. I'm soooooooooooooooooooooooo very bummed that he's not a goalie.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:50 pm 

Bo Byram back with the Avs after a brief two-game conditioning stint with the Colorado Eagles. In those two games I don't believe he recorded a point but was good in both according to those who watched. A really scary incident involved Martin Frk of the Ontario Reign late in the first game, Frk took a run at Byram well after the Eagles took a sizable lead, Byram managed to avoid the hit but slashed Frk, which prompted the latter to go after him, where he landed at least one good punch to the head. Naturally the Eagles swarmed Frk, and even the normally mild-mannered Martin Kaut lost his shit, screaming at his fellow Czech countryman the whole way to the penalty box. Does not appear that resulted in injury.

One thing about Byram, dude's got an edge. He doesn't really back down from a fight and chirps quite a bit. Might need to rethink some of this given his already massive concussion history, but you can't say the kid doesn't play aggressively in all facets of the game. I really, really hope this is the end of any PCS issues for the foreseeable future but there's simply no way of knowing. I hope it's something similar to Sidney Crosby, who had a real struggle for two seasons or so with concussions, then seemingly recovered fully and never appeared to have a problem again.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:29 pm 

I'll be damned, Avs sign the consensus top NCAA free agent, Minnesota's Ben Meyers. He was a Hobey Baker finalist and of course, played in the Frozen Four this year.

Smallish forward, plays both center and wing, put up 17-24-41 in 34 games for the Golden Gophers.

They also signed Minnesota State defenseman Wyatt Aamodt. Their previous college free agent signing was Logan O'Connor from DU. What did all three of these players have in common? They all wore the "C" on the front of their jerseys. Avs really gravitate toward that when it comes to these signings apparently.

So far, the faith in O'Connor has paid off quite well. Hopefully it will with these guys too.

I was reading that a number of NHL teams, especially the Wylde, were courting him. Minnesota really wanted him, not only because they're desperate for all the quality cheap talent they can find starting next season, but because he's a hometown kid from Delano. The fact he signed with their arch rivals is quite something. :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:35 pm 
Big in Japan

Minnesota fans are salty the local boy chose the division rivals. Meyers can't play in the postseason, but the Avs will probably have a bottom 6 spot waiting for him next season.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:07 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Minnesota fans are salty the local boy chose the division rivals. Meyers can't play in the postseason, but the Avs will probably have a bottom 6 spot waiting for him next season.

It appears he may be able to play in some regular season games and Bednar said he might get a couple here as the Avs try and rest as many players as they can.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 2:54 pm 

Both the Eagles and Grizzlies won their respective first rounds (although I believe the AHL has that stupid play-in round that Wyshynski desperately wants the NHL to adopt so I don’t even know if it counts) to advance in the playoffs. Always nice to see the organization succeeding at multiple levels.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 3:57 pm 

Not to be outdone by the parent club, but the Colorado Eagles have swept both series they've played in the Calder Cup playoffs thus far. Both of them have been part of that weird play-in the AHL has (and everyone except Greg Wyshynski does not want the NHL to adopt) but they got the job done regardless.

Top forward prospect Oskar Olausson played a bit in the second series against the Ontario Reign and registered a point. We'll see what happens in this round, round three or...round one, I'm really not sure how this works. They're up against a REALLY good AHL club in the Stockton Heat I'm told.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:23 am 

As I’m sure everyone anticipated, the Coyotes now also receive a 2024 third rounder in addition to the 2022 first rounder and defenseman Conor Timmins in exchange for Darcy Kuemper, apparently there was a little condition written in there that if the Avs won the Cup. I imagine the Avs are okay with that.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:28 pm 

Avs 2022 draft class consists of exactly two players taken in the final two rounds.

Defenseman Chris Romaine, which has sparked a whole slew of kale/lettuce jokes, and Ivan Zhigalov, a goalie.

I'm glad they took the goalie. IMO your team should always draft a couple every year no matter what.

Zhigalov of course gets the dubious distinction of being this year's NHL "Mr. Irrelevant."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next