OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:42 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Second morale victory in a row for the Canucks last night, who badly outplayed the Flames over long stretches. Their fate was sealed on an own goal by Schmidt. That pretty much sums the season up thus far.

https://www.nhl.com/video/mangiapane-sc ... /c-7495270

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:19 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Yeah, the team isn't that far off to get to mediocrity. They hit a couple of posts again, and I think Tanev and Markstrom are in their heads. They've played better than the results indicate lately and I think the time off between games has allowed them to gel a bit better. There were fewer egregious mistakes, not nearly as many defensive zone RR passes, and you can see the entire five-man unit collapses to down low to help out. They've looked better.

As far as a potential schism between Green and Benning go, I can see it happening after this past summer. Green probably shared his wish list with Benning after the end of the playoffs (keep Markstrom if you can, and if not Markstrom, at least hold on to Tanev to stabilize the d for at least a couple of years and def keep Toff). He accomplished none of those things and now Green is having to cobble together a team from the table scraps Benning has been able to assemble.

If Aquaman is as rumored trying to sell the club, now is def not a good time to do that with the club in a tailspin, no gate revenues to speak of, and team morale at its lowest point in five seasons. Just get through this season and punch the draft lottery ticket. Give Benning one more draft then cut his ass loose before the next season starts.

According to Capfriendly, they'll have $22.8M in cap space and 11 more players to sign. There's a lot more turnover to come...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:56 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Not to run salt in the wound because I honestly found this surprising but, Troy Stecher has been phenomenal for the Red Wings defensively.

https://twitter.com/thats_offside/statu ... 88900?s=21

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:02 pm 

Great article by Boy Genius who nicely breaks down a big picture view of the franchise. What we are seeing now is a day of reckoning for the cumulative effects of seven years of rudderless roster building. Bit of a depressing read because the Canucks actually have something special with this core. When you’ve done the hard work of assembling elite talent, you should do everything in your power not just to build a good team but to work towards a powerhouse. The Canucks can still get there, they just need to first commit to a vision/blueprint of how they’re going to do it and then stick to that plan. Everyone know this is going to only be accomplished with new management.

For those who don't subscribe to the Athletic, I've pulled some highlights of the article for convenience.

https://theathletic.com/2373679/2021/02 ... ess-dayal/

Quote:
For the last seven years, the Canucks have had one toe dipped into mortgaging future assets for short-term fixes while simultaneously dipping the other toe into constructing for the future. The organization’s played it by ear rather than sticking to a consistent plan and the contradictory direction the last two years is the most recent example of that.

Quote:
The alternative is that they saw this coming and decided to be aggressive anyway to try making the playoffs. That means they willingly pushed on the accelerator, mortgaging long-term cap flexibility, draft picks and prospects knowing that they would have to take a step back in their endeavour to construct a contender at some point. That would indicate an organization that has a muddled vision. The Canucks are staring at the opportunity cost of that today.

Quote:
The Canucks have an incredible competitive advantage with how cheap their best players are. If they hadn’t been impatient with the long-term picture and handcuffed themselves with bad contracts, they would have had the flexibility to be more serious Cup contenders already.

Quote:
The inefficient bottom-six contracts will expire in a couple of years and free the team up, but just as the bad deals slide off, the Canucks will simultaneously have to start paying their top players more. It’s not just Pettersson and Hughes this summer — Boeser’s up for renewal in 2022 while Horvat and Miller only have two more seasons after this one before they become unrestricted free agents. Vancouver obviously still has a path to building a durable contender — how could they not with the core group of players have they have? But navigating that path to the finish line won’t be a cakewalk and will take longer than it should have.

Quote:
That matters because if Stanley Cup winners like Tampa Bay and Washington have taught us anything, it’s that it can sometimes take nearly a decade for a core to break through and win it all. It’s rare to go all-in for one, two or three years and win the Cup, you typically have to carve out a long runway for yourself as a sustainable contender.

Quote:
Since reconstructing their front office in 2014, the Canucks have consistently cut corners on a traditional rebuild in the pursuit of a quick turnaround. That lack of commitment to a long-term plan is why the team still has a ways to go to build the kind of formidable roster that can realistically contend for a Stanley Cup.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:27 pm 

What in the actual fuck is going on with the Canucks? Aquilini just went on the tweeter endorsing Benning promising to make no changes. Read the fucking room dude. The team is in the midst of a 6 game losing skid and playing tonight. A majority of the fanbase are demanding changes. Rumours abound that the team has lost confidence in management. Maybe he thinks he can taking credit for sparking the team or changing the narrative of Hockey Day in Canada. Like just shut the fuck up and let the team play if you can't make changes because you're broke.

To come out and utter this garbage at this particular moment is beyond the pale. Benning has proven time and time again that he is incapable of taking the team to the next level. Did they draft well? Yes but even that is looking spurious in light of Brackett's tenure and subsequent departure.

Aquilini is an utter buffoon and I don't know if I can be a fan of this team until he's gone. :evil:

https://twitter.com/fr_aquilini/status/ ... 5802871808

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:04 pm 
Big in Japan

Tweet of death. Benning will be gone by Tuesday. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:24 am 
Old Man of the Post

E.L. wrote:
Tweet of death.

My thoughts exactly. But then we're not that fortunate.

Had a 2-0 lead, gave it right back and then some with the Phlegms scoring 3 straight before Boeser scored a shortie with under 30 seconds remaining in the game. Green's gamble finally paid off, only the PP extended into OT and they took it right back.

Same M.O. Bad decisions lead to bad giveaways and the Flames made them pay for it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:52 am 

Another nice own goal by Schmidt which was ostensibly the game winner. Now that their systems have been cleaned up they seem to be beating themselves which would indicate that it can be fixed, but somehow it would seem the problems run deeper and more mysterious.

Aquilini won't be doing a victory lap like he did after their one game winning streak I assure you.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:00 pm 
Old Man of the Post

I'd love to see Gillman take over, and somehow get Brackett to return but neither is happening when Aquaman's cup hardly runneth over these days.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:26 pm 

Nice positive write-up on Juolevi's progress.

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canu ... ks-3436544

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:13 pm 

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
I'd love to see Gillman take over, and somehow get Brackett to return but neither is happening when Aquaman's cup hardly runneth over these days.
Yeah Gilman would be nice. Maybe he'd hire Gillis as sleep consultant.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:39 am 

Well at least that wet blanket Derek Forbort got what was coming to him.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:29 pm 
Old Man of the Post

I hear that Nashville is looking "very strongly" at Gaudette. Not sure what they can offer in exchange.

I'm ready to pronounce the JV18 experiment as complete: I think he's a complete bust in Vancouver. Perhaps he'll resurrect his career elsewhere but right now, he has little or no value; he can barely stay in the line up on a mediocre team. Zack MacEwan is more teachable, looks faster and appears more likely to contribute in ways other than scoring. I don't recall JV playing to his size at all. He seems to be noticeable one shift every three games or so...

Maybe someone wants to shore up for the playoffs and pick up Sutter; I think he may still have some residual bottom-six appeal to some GMs. Likewise Jordie Benn and Pearson. I think Edler and Myers will likely be exposed at the expansion draft.

I wouldn't have an issue with re-signing Pearson; he has good chemistry with Horvat and they finally have a play-driving linemate in Hoglander to make that line that much more effective. That is unless he gets in the way of Podkolzin getting in the lineup but I'd rather he start lower in the lineup, like say, JV18's spot on the 3rd line.

Benn has been ok as Huggy's partner but he's no Chris Tanev. I didn't realize until now that they had Hamonic and Motte on LTIR.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:46 pm 

Benn is a good 7th D-man. He's completely out of his depth as a top pairing guy, and those instances in the other night where he just got completely burned is indicative of that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:06 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Benn is a good 7th D-man. He's completely out of his depth as a top pairing guy, and those instances in the other night where he just got completely burned is indicative of that.

Hughes has been better with Benn than anyone else. Has surprised the hell out of me how well Benn has played. Having said that if Benn is on a teams top pairing, its a team that is not going anywhere and needs to be working on their lottery pick.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:27 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Fogghorn wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

Hughes has been better with Benn than anyone else. Has surprised the hell out of me how well Benn has played. Having said that if Benn is on a teams top pairing, its a team that is not going anywhere and needs to be working on their lottery pick.

Benn's been ok, but as great as he is in the offensive zone, Hughes is really vulnerable in his own zone - you can see other teams close on him right away on the forecheck and force him to move the puck over to Benn as soon as possible.

Juolevi's has played well also but looks small for a 6'3" player...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:43 am 

Oh dear...

https://twitter.com/ianwcanucks/status/ ... 83265?s=21

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:35 am 

Well I'm firmly on team tank now. Which means the Nucks will go on a tear and just miss the playoffs screwing with their draft pick. Anyways 3-zip is a good start.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:54 am 

Pokecheque wrote:

From Twitter: Those jerseys are so bad the players couldn't bear seeing another fan get one. :lol:

Bring on the tank. To Foggy's point, they don't even seem capable of winning one or two games in a row, let alone a streak. How can the players be expected to compete if ownership and management have thrown in the towel on the season from day one?

Doing anything but tank at this point is moot. It is a culture created by the current regime.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:13 pm 

Drance has taken to calling Virtanen "Showcase Jake."

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 19  Next