OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:30 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Okay fine this new legit and totally real season of Hockey gets it's own thread for me to talk Leafs with all the not Leaf fans.

Actually liking some things the last two games as I think I am seeing some form of structure leaking into their game which has not been around in a few years in Leaf land.

One thing that I have had a chuckle at is how often I have read the Leafs have got slow like it is a big deal and realize that people see the names like Bogosian, Thorton, Spezza, and Simmonds and go oh they are old and slow and while that is somewhat true I think due to name recognition of those guys they fail to realize they are in limited roles and ice time. While Thorton who is playing the most of the seniors and is playing with Matthews and Marner he is also playing 8 minutes or so less a game than those guys. Anyway interesting.

Andersen thought pretty good last game still looks unsettled like he often does. The more I think about it the more I think he just can't get in the zone as well as most top NHL goalies and maybe the right head space coach is what could help him.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:22 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I think you're right on Freddy--he has good size and athleticism, but his vision and possibly mechanics are very flawed. IMO he'd be a good 1A goalie with the right backup behind him. Problem is that Toronto has struggled mightily to get him that guy. Maybe with Campbell they won't overwork him as much.

Still doesn't explain why he can't seem to start well, but whatever.

Dominant performance by the Leafs against a quickly-fading Jets team.

IMO the Habs look like the club that's going to completely run away with the "North" Division. Oh, sorry, I meant the North Division Brought to You By Scotia. They look to have the best defensive system in place and most well-established goalie of all the seven teams.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:41 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Pokecheque wrote:
Still doesn't explain why he can't seem to start well, but whatever.

I think a player that fights with on ice focus would see a bigger issue a the start of the season. My belief and this goes for most athletes and lots of walks of life is that true focus requires tension and that can only be replicated in game or I guess if your job was on the line.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:43 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Leafs finally discover key to success: not being in same division as Boston
thebeaverton.com

Seems about right.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:02 pm 

Loved seeing Muzzin do to Tkachuk what he tries to do to other players every game. Dude blew an epic gasket, even slammed the door on his own captain. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:45 pm 
King of the One-Liner

As a Leaf fan it was nice to be on the right side of some buttons being pushed.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:20 pm 

I'm really happy for Wayne Simmonds because it really looks like a revitalized man, but I really hope he's not going to be expected to fight often.

I noticed he was incorporating techniques used by the late Rick Rypien in his bout with Jordie Benn last night. He switched hands--which caught Benn completely off-guard--and also did a good job blocking, which you don't see often in hockey fights.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:09 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Well if the Leafs can continue to play the way they have been he won't feel called upon to spark the team much. So really it comes down to how much he wants to continue to finish his checks with vigor on other teams young stars. Would expect he will pick his spots as to which teams he pushes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:49 pm 

Fucking hell, Freddy...YOU SUCK.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:39 am 
King of the One-Liner

Big game for me tonight. If the Leafs are the legit winner they have looked like so far this is the game you step on a throat and keep the team behind you down. Previously with this team they would pat themself on the back before the game and take the night off.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:46 am 

Damn good team, I still think they’re one goalie slump away from being in trouble but that could be said for a lot of teams.

I’m reading rumors that Dubas is trying like hell to swing a deal with the Leafs for Palmieri. That’d be a fantastic add if they can pull it off.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:19 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Odd when they started the game playing hard and smart figured they where good but as the game went on they lost interest. Guess I will remain on the fence as to if this team has made a step forward.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:11 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Didn't take Galchenyuk long to ruin the Leafs.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:32 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
Didn't take Galchenyuk long to ruin the Leafs.

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:12 pm 
King of the One-Liner

For real though Tavares has been bad. Forcing it and making high event turnovers like some immature hot shot rookie trying to score his way into the lineup. That said the Leafs record is pretty good with an awful Tavares so maybe silver lining and he can get back on track.

The goal last game to make it 5-2 was just crazy. Tavares attempts to pass it through the face off circle from the side boards in his own zone with 12 seconds left in the period. That is just mind blowingly irresponsible at that score and clock for a guy of his experience. He is playing like it is 12 seconds in the game and they are down by one.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:05 pm 
Big in Japan

JT has struggled, and yet pot stirrer Steve Simmons chooses to go after Nylander because he's a sucky understander of hockey.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:37 pm 
Big in Japan

I'm here to begrudgingly concede the Leafs are the class of the John Deere unfixable tractor north division. Le sigh.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:28 pm 
King of the One-Liner

E.L. wrote:
JT has struggled, and yet pot stirrer Steve Simmons chooses to go after Nylander because he's a sucky understander of hockey.

Not even an interesting anti-fan fiction piece to go with it? The hack and a-hole is not even trying that hard.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:32 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

As the Scotia Division winner will get a Conference Final birth and a genuine opportunity at the SCF and therefore a strong chance of bringing the Cup back to Canada for the first time in 22 years - this naturally invites the question: Who is more deserving of this distinguished honour - Montreal or Toronto?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:33 pm 
Big in Japan

Logical Progression wrote:
As the Scotia Division winner will get a Conference Final birth and a genuine opportunity at the SCF and therefore a strong chance of bringing the Cup back to Canada for the first time in 22 years - this naturally invites the question: Who is more deserving of this distinguished honour - Montreal or Toronto?

Toronto is the better team at the moment. We'll see where they stand once they both finish their 10 games against Ottawa. :lol: