OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 409 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:52 am 
King of the One-Liner

So they really thought a player that wants out and in some part due to Tortorella is going to be able to co-exist together? Once Torts seemed to acknowledge he was part of the reason this was going to turn into a flaming wreck.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:02 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Hounsy wrote:
So they really thought a player that wants out and in some part due to Tortorella is going to be able to co-exist together? Once Torts seemed to acknowledge he was part of the reason this was going to turn into a flaming wreck.

But the kid needs to realize he's only reducing the likelihood of getting traded by skating half assed shifts. Torts is a dip shit and always at odds with someone, but if the kid wants out, he's got to show other teams what he can do, not how much he wants out. It just looked unprofessional.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:24 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Chris18 wrote:
Hounsy wrote:

But the kid needs to realize he's only reducing the likelihood of getting traded by skating half assed shifts. Torts is a dip shit and always at odds with someone, but if the kid wants out, he's got to show other teams what he can do, not how much he wants out. It just looked unprofessional.

The problem is with a shortened season the kid can half ass the season away and be done with it in 4 months. They don't have the normal leverage they would have of threatening to make the player sit through a tough situation for over seven months.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:01 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Everyone throwing Dubois under the bus probably should take a step back and think how you might perform at your job when your boss is a toxic, egomaniacal dipshit. Not completely excusing his lack of effort, but I don't think any of us would be busting our asses for a coach we despise.

I used to be a big supporter of Torts, but his schtick has worn completely out on me. I really like Jarmo, but shame on him for letting this situation mutate out of control, now he's in a position where he's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

This is 100% on Torts IMO. PLD bought a house in Lumbus--I don't think a young man does that if he has always planned to get the fuck out when he had a chance.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:22 pm 
Big in Japan

This also doesn't get brought up in regards to his coaching, but Torts is such a Johnny America that he couldn't even bring himself to live in Canada when he coached the Canucks. He drove back "home" every night. Can we really believe that he treats non-American players differently? C'mon.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:56 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Everyone throwing Dubois under the bus probably should take a step back and think how you might perform at your job when your boss is a toxic, egomaniacal dipshit. Not completely excusing his lack of effort, but I don't think any of us would be busting our asses for a coach we despise.

I used to be a big supporter of Torts, but his schtick has worn completely out on me. I really like Jarmo, but shame on him for letting this situation mutate out of control, now he's in a position where he's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

This is 100% on Torts IMO. PLD bought a house in Lumbus--I don't think a young man does that if he has always planned to get the fuck out when he had a chance.

I don't know. I get that he's young, but the kid needs to realize that he isn't going to make a trade easy if he plays in such a half-assed way. He's grown up enough to earn more in one season than most of us will in our lives. Also, if a hockey shlub like myself has read that Torts likes to challenge people to see if they'll break or swing back, and he'll respect people who swing back 100x more, how does this kid not know that? His agent? Someone involved? There's always someone in Torts' dog house (except dogs, as he's a rescue dog lover and pampers them like other coaches do for their star players).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:58 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Benching him surely doesn't help his trade value. Tort's old school approach is done and he's done. He talks out to both sides of his mouth. Enlightened, brilliant, intuitive mastermind on the one hand. Sulky, blow hard bully on the other. No one cares anymore Torts. Buh bye.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:25 pm 
Big in Japan

You could make a case for 90 per cent of teams wanting him. Franchise centres don't come around often.

We know Winnipeg and Vegas have wanted centres over the years. Big markets like Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, Detroit could want to make a splash. Florida and Arizona could want to kick-start their franchises.

San Jose, Calgary, Minnesota, Dallas, Colorado, Buffalo? Why not?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:16 pm 
Big in Japan

The favourite is PLD for Laine and local boy Jack Roslovic. Not sure that does either disgruntled star any good, but it makes sense.

I think the Rangers would offer up Kakko pretty quickly. Maybe some three way where holdout Roslovic still goes home and Winnipeg gets much needed defensive help.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:08 am 

E.L. wrote:
The favourite is PLD for Laine and local boy Jack Roslovic. Not sure that does either disgruntled star any good, but it makes sense.

I think the Rangers would offer up Kakko pretty quickly. Maybe some three way where holdout Roslovic still goes home and Winnipeg gets much needed defensive help.

A trade with a Canadian team would be interesting this year. Both players will take a while to get to their new teams. I wonder if we'll see any teams fake some positive tests to get their games postponed so they can pull off a trade and not have their incoming player miss many/any games. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:38 pm 
Big in Japan

In a vacuum, the Jackets made out like bandits. They get the 50 goal scorer and the local boy.

But this trade is more complex than that, and ultimately the two stars need to acclimate to their new surroundings.

Also, the 1C for a Torts-led team is from France. :haha:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:07 pm 
King of the One-Liner

I feel there is a better chance of Dubois being good with Winnipeg than Laine with Torts in Columbus.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:33 pm 

Okaaaaaaaaaaaaay. This once again proves I know zero about the hockey.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:49 pm 
Big in Japan

Umberger was an Ohio State star, but Roslovic is the first guy from here to play for the Jackets.

If Laine up and Jeff Carter's them, Roslovic might be the best part of the deal. No reason he can't be a productive middle 6 guy they can put on posters and media guides.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:32 pm 
Big in Japan

Jax went out today and beat the Cup champs 5-2. How's that for being motivated? Torts is probably feeling pretty good about that.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:11 am 
Big in Japan

For what it's worth, PLD said he didn't want out because of Torts. I guess we'll never know the real story, but I think it's something juicy.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:17 am 

E.L. wrote:
For what it's worth, PLD said he didn't want out because of Torts. I guess we'll never know the real story, but I think it's something juicy.

No way do I believe him there. There are most definitely other reasons but Torts definitely played a part. It's fine if he doesn't want to torch the place on his way out, that's understandable.

Both teams have a chance to improve off this. Winnipeg finally has a center who can play in the top six and also make up for some of their forwards' (Connor mainly) defensive shortcomings.

People joke about Torts and Laine not getting along, and that may well happen, but Torts and Gaborik got along just fine, so it's possible.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:25 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
People joke about Torts and Laine not getting along, and that may well happen, but Torts and Gaborik got along just fine, so it's possible.

If that's a joke, ignore the rest of this. But if not, Torts and Gaborik got along just fine? Someone posted on Twitter that PLD was in Torts' dog house and Gaborik replied "been there, done that" or something along those lines. I remember Ranger fans being furious with Torts for telling Gaborik to block shots, given all the leg injuries he'd had. That was a bone of contention between them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:56 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
If that's a joke, ignore the rest of this. But if not, Torts and Gaborik got along just fine? Someone posted on Twitter that PLD was in Torts' dog house and Gaborik replied "been there, done that" or something along those lines. I remember Ranger fans being furious with Torts for telling Gaborik to block shots, given all the leg injuries he'd had. That was a bone of contention between them.

Well...the results on the ice were good, they may not have been in the locker room, but I guess who cares if they're producing and winning, right?

I'm surprised the relationship between Mikhail Grigorenko and John Tortorella hasn't been nuked to high hell. I gave that about two games before Grigo's slow, soft, indifferent game had Torts's head exploding.

We'll see what happens with Laine and Torts. Someone online said it'll either be magnificent, or it'll be a disaster. There won't be any in-between.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:11 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Chris18 wrote:
Someone posted on Twitter that PLD was in Torts' dog house and Gaborik replied "been there, done that" or something along those lines. I remember Ranger fans being furious with Torts for telling Gaborik to block shots, given all the leg injuries he'd had.

Torts had the Sedins kill penalties when he was here and he loved them for it.

I would agree that it's 50-50 whether Laine will click with Torts. Torts was the one to bench Luongo for the outdoor game, and was the head coach of record when Kesler asked to be traded.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 409 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 21  Next