OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:40 am 
King of Men

I think this is f'n awesome......what do you guys think? With the border closed it is what it is.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/go ... n-2020-21/

What I don't like to hear is pushing the start date back to Feb from Jan.......

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:01 am 
King of Men

So...what's this going to look like regionally? I'll give it a go...basically we'd be going back to the old divisions with different teams (pre 2013) plus a Canadian flair.

Rangers
Devils
Bruins
Islanders

Flyers
Penguins
Sabres
Capitals

Hurricanes
Nashville
Tampa
Florida

Detroit
Chicago
Minnesota
Columbus

Dallas
Colorado
St Louis
Arizona

Anaheim
San Jose
LA
Vegas

Toronto
Montreal
Ottawa
Winnipeg (flights are cheaper and times are easier)

Edmonton
Vancouver
Calgary

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:48 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I've never, ever been a fan of an All-Canadian division. Just seems silly to me to have "division rivals" that have to travel the span of North America to play games. In addition, a lot of Canadian teams have rivalries with American-based clubs too so you'd be missing out on some of that.

But as you said, if there are travel restrictions because us Americans don't have their shit together, then it's a moot point.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:02 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

It's only temporary so I say why not? Love the idea. I heard somewhere that a 56 game schedule is being considered. The speculation that many teams won't be able to operate without fan revenue is a little concerning though.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:58 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
It's only temporary so I say why not? Love the idea. I heard somewhere that a 56 game schedule is being considered. The speculation that many teams won't be able to operate without fan revenue is a little concerning though.

And its that lack of income that makes it really difficult to predict the player trade/UFA market going forward. Those with deep pockets maybe able to pick up some really good deals if they have cap space available to play with.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:17 pm 
Big in Japan

I wonder if, to even things out slightly, they'll consider giving relatively safe cities like Saskatoon teams. I'd say Quebec City but those karaoke loving weirdos are a red zone right now.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:08 am 

From Elliot Friedman

Quote:
30. This depends on what happens with the border, but there is talk that Canadian-based NHL teams with U.S.-based AHL affiliates are considering moving them north of the 49th for the 2020–21 season. That’s Calgary/Stockton; Edmonton/Bakersfield; and Vancouver/Utica. It makes sense, because a quarantine period would mean you can’t call up players. Not sure if those teams would be based out of the NHL buildings or centralized, but it is something these three organizations must prepare for.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:45 am 
King of Men

harmfuljays wrote:
So...what's this going to look like regionally? I'll give it a go...basically we'd be going back to the old divisions with different teams (pre 2013) plus a Canadian flair.

NE Atlantic Hub
Rangers
Devils
Bruins
Islanders

Mid Atlantic Hub
Flyers
Penguins
Sabres
Capitals

SE Atlantic Hub
Hurricanes
Nashville
Tampa
Florida

Central Hub
Detroit
Chicago
Minnesota
Columbus

South Central Hub
Dallas
Colorado
St Louis
Arizona

Pacific Hub
Anaheim
San Jose
LA
Vegas

Canada East Hub
Toronto
Montreal
Ottawa
Winnipeg (flights are cheaper and times are easier)

Canada West Hub
Edmonton
Vancouver
Calgary

Please note Teams play in their own rinks within their Hub groups.

NHL can run with this any time they want! I've even helped them out with temp titles.... Just hurry up and pick a damn date to start. If it were only so easy........are they running with a full season? So far I've heard its hubs and 2 weeks on 1 week off. I would assume the hub that gets a week off is staggered between the others so we can have continual play.

Not a big fan of another abbreviated Cup Winner but I suppose it is what it is. Will be the COVID years.....

Would also imagine (right or wrong) that these sports guys are first or second in line for the vaccines.

Quote:
“You’ll play for 10 to 12 days. You’ll play a bunch of games without traveling. You’ll go back, go home for a week, be with your family. We’ll have our testing protocols and all the other things you need,” Bettman said.

Quote:
Daly wrote “the objective remains to start as early as Jan. 1” and “to play a schedule that may conclude by the end of April.” Under this scenario, the regular season would be shortened to the neighborhood of 48-56 games before the playoffs.

Daly added the NHL would like to hand out the Stanley Cup before the summer and then return to a normal 82-game season from October to April for the 2021-22 campaign.

The NHL is studying the idea of starting in four different hub cities for 2020-21. Teams would spend about two weeks in a hub, then return to their home cities for one-week breaks. At least to start, the seven Canadian teams would be in their own division because of border restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic.

It wouldn’t make sense for the NHL to go back to Edmonton or Toronto, where the playoffs were completed in the summer of 2020, but places like Montreal, Vancouver and Winnipeg may be good landing spots because they have the necessary rinks and facilities.

https://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/nhl ... s-thursday

Quote:
• As far as I can tell, the largest remaining unsettled issue involves player salaries. To them, this issue is settled. They signed a CBA extension last summer agreeing to 72 per cent of their gross pay for the upcoming season. They feel this number is set whether they play one game or 70-something games. However, owners feel those salaries should be prorated, especially if there’s no clear path to attendance — creating losses higher than anything 20 per cent escrow would withstand.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/nh ... xt-season/

Yikes!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:31 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I'm all for whatever gets hockey back on my TV. I miss it like an old friend. The days are getting shorter, the air is getting colder. It's the time of year where I look forward to a game every other day. NHL Schedule Dept- I'll even forgive your random 9 day breaks surrounded by 3 games in 4 days... Just get hockey back soon. Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:48 pm 
King of Men

Chris18 wrote:
I'm all for whatever gets hockey back on my TV. I miss it like an old friend. The days are getting shorter, the air is getting colder. It's the time of year where I look forward to a game every other day. NHL Schedule Dept- I'll even forgive your random 9 day breaks surrounded by 3 games in 4 days... Just get hockey back soon. Thank you.

To me the real kicker was the fall back time change....it got dark and that's usually when the Bruins come on.....but no hockey!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:16 pm 
King of Men

so the new talk is 3 game series.....not sure how you make that work.

So for speculation example

Boston Vs NYR in NY for 3 games
NYI in NJ for 3 games
every other day or every damn day if you are feeling cheeky.

Then its NJ vs Boston in Boston for 3 games
and NYR vs NYI in wherever the fuck they play now for 3 games.

Then NYR in Bos
NJ in NYI
Bos in NJ
NYI in NY

Whatever this concoction ends up being its going to be a nightmare to manage and it certainly isn't going to make everyone happy! Thank goodness its not me!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:47 pm 

The NHL is saying they still expect to start in early January. How? The players would still all need to get to their host cities or training camp sites, get covid tests, 2 week quarantine, some sort of training camp, etc. I guess the league has decided on host cities if they're saying they're that close to playing, but it seems like a shitload of planning to me. Or maybe it's just posturing to get the PA to agree? Doesn't seem to me the players would believe that could happen so soon. I sure don't. Or maybe the league has a deal to get enough vaccines for all players, coaches, trainers, etc?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:26 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

If we know anything, we know the league will wait as long as they can before they have to concede on any front. So we won't know if they have to push back the start of the season until they absolutely MUST do so. I know listening to the 31 Thoughts podcast that Friedman intimated that they didn't even want to say that there wasn't going to be an 82-game season until they were absolutely certain it couldn't be done.

I imagine the owners will cave, but it's pathetic that they're even trying to pull a fast one on the players. They knew goddamned well that this pandemic would stretch well into the following season, and yet they still agreed to pay the players in full. That's on them--they don't get to cry poor and force them back to the table.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:59 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
If we know anything, we know the league will wait as long as they can before they have to concede on any front. So we won't know if they have to push back the start of the season until they absolutely MUST do so. I know listening to the 31 Thoughts podcast that Friedman intimated that they didn't even want to say that there wasn't going to be an 82-game season until they were absolutely certain it couldn't be done.

I imagine the owners will cave, but it's pathetic that they're even trying to pull a fast one on the players. They knew goddamned well that this pandemic would stretch well into the following season, and yet they still agreed to pay the players in full. That's on them--they don't get to cry poor and force them back to the table.

The Tokyo Olympics are scheduled for July and the NHL has a contract with NBC that the playoffs must be finished before the Olympics start, therefore they have a firm end date. An 82 game schedule is already unlikely but they'll want as many as they can.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:43 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Fogghorn wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

The Tokyo Olympics are scheduled for July and the NHL has a contract with NBC that the playoffs must be finished before the Olympics start, therefore they have a firm end date. An 82 game schedule is already unlikely but they'll want as many as they can.
I am not so sure about that. Why would they want as many as they can given the cost of putting games on and little to no gate revenue and major time constraints. I am hearing that as many as 8-10 team owners want to do away with the 2021 season altogether. My bet is 48 games at most. My oh my what a mess.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:28 am 

Logical Progression wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

I am not so sure about that. Why would they want as many as they can given the cost of putting games on and little to no gate revenue and major time constraints. I am hearing that as many as 8-10 team owners want to do away with the 2021 season altogether. My bet is 48 games at most. My oh my what a mess.

The owners have all seen that we as fans will come back and for the most part, forgive anger over lockouts. We'll just be happy to have hockey back. So why should they fork over a ton of money instead of profiting, like they're supposed to do? The only teams likely hoping to have a season are ones who feel their window is closing. I don't think we're having a season.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:15 am 

How are in-season trades going to work? Can they do them? Dudes have to miss 2 weeks for quarantine when going to a new bubble? Will we see more intra-division trades?

They really should make this year special and give unique names to the divisions. Isles are playing in the Patrick Division plus Boston and Buffalo. Call it the Patrick Division.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:07 pm 

It's happening. https://twitter.com/PR_NHL/status/1340757002927153152

1/13 start date. Divisions as have been rumored, with an all Canadian division. Patrick Division + Buffalo & Boston.

Some stuff still up in the air, like where the Canadian division will play. But supposedly shit is getting worked out quickly.

Looking forward to watching games!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:25 pm 
Big in Japan

Really not sure how the Canadian division will shake out. BC already out, Ontario about to start a major lockdown with even the airports on the table. In the US, San Jose will play out of Phoenix.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:32 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Really not sure how the Canadian division will shake out. BC already out, Ontario about to start a major lockdown with even the airports on the table. In the US, San Jose will play out of Phoenix.

I could swear I read somewhere that the Canadian teams may wind up playing in an American city. If that happens, there is no reason to realign the divisions, is there? It would actually be pretty stupid to do it.