OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:51 pm 

Pettersson owns a 50.93 xGF% without Virtanen and a 52.64% xGF% with Virtanen.

:shock:

No way I'd of thought Virtanen made anyone better much less Pettersson.

https://canucksarmy.com/2020/10/14/jake ... tter-used/

And I've been thinking about the last couple weeks. First lots of rumors about OEL. Then that the Canuck's were in serious pursuit of both Pietranglo and Barrie. Both OEL and Pietrangelo would have been good in the short term but awful contracts the last few years. Barrie for a year might have been okay. It just seems that Benning had a friggin horseshoe implanted to pull out Schmidt for a 3rd rounder. Not quite as good a player but cheaper, and shorter contract ending at age 34, just what they needed.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:23 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Speculation abound that Benning was the only offer that didn't involve Vegas retaining any of Schmidt's salary hence Vancouver winning the deal. I'll take it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:09 am 

It doesn't bode well for teams looking to dump salary if Schmidt only gets a 3rd rounder. I can't imagine what it might cost to get rid of LE when opportunities like this come up. If I was a team like Detroit I'd just sit back and keep my cap space until next years trade agency deadline and see what mana falls from heaven for me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:29 am 
OTP Historian

Fogghorn wrote:
It doesn't bode well for teams looking to dump salary if Schmidt only gets a 3rd rounder. I can't imagine what it might cost to get rid of LE when opportunities like this come up. If I was a team like Detroit I'd just sit back and keep my cap space until next years trade agency deadline and see what mana falls from heaven for me.

Demko, please! ;)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:56 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Bosc wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:
Demko, please! ;)
:lol: Well that question was sort of already answered with the Holtby acquisition and Markstrom departure.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:00 am 

Logical Progression wrote:
Bosc wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:
Demko, please! ;)
:lol: Well that question was sort of already answered with the Holtby acquisition and Markstrom departure.

Yep but Demko is the #1 star in Bosc's spank bank this month and he can't move on. It's tough to give up your fantasy crush. :P

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:55 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Fogghorn wrote:
And tCL, did you mean to imply Lind makes the team before Hoglander? If so I hope you're right, but I'm doubtful.

That's basically what came out of JB's mouth, but bear in mind, that could also be him trying to distract other teams from targeting Hoglander in a trade. There're rumours that the OEL acquisition cost included Demko and one of Hoglander, Podkolzin of Juolevi. IMO, Hoglander is at least one or two seasons away from cracking the lineup. I hope he surprises all of us an proves me wrong - Hoglander would make for a nice LE replacement...

Fogghorn wrote:

Drancer had a nice piece in the Atlantic about the back office intrigue around Schmidt. Apparently, VGK targeted Vancouver as their preferred trading destination knowing that: VAN had OEL aspirations, cap room, and need (losing Tanev and Stecher). Other teams had griped afterwards that they didn't get a chance to outbid VAN, and the article left the question as to why would VGK help a divisional rival get better? Apparently, in their estimation, VAN was the only team willing to absorb Schmidt's entire salary for a mid-round pick. But I find that a little hard to swallow whole because another team could easily offer a second rounder or a third and more while still taking the entire salary.

My guess is they saw the teams in the Pacific get a little better; CGY gets Markstrom, Tanev, and Domingue; EDM adds Barrie, and Turris; ANA adds Shattenkirk; and meanwhile VAN is clearly weaker... Sending Schmidt there makes VAN better but not likely enough to hurt VGK, but it levels the ice wrt to other teams in the division, while consuming enough cap space that VAN now cannot bring back a Toffoli or round out their d with a mid-range RD. It forces VAN to really give their D kids a chance and maybe that's something VGK can expose later.

Nevertheless, JB has always been one to hit the so-called secondary market and tap into those inefficiencies (he has a handful himself). I'm still annoyed that he missed out on Toffoli who sounds like he was looking forward to finishing his career in VAN.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:15 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Such a hard thing to evaluate--Jimmy made the right decision not to give massive term and $$$ to Markstrom and Tanev, and he sure did get pretty lucky with Schmidt, but losing Toffoli after spending valuable assets to get him in the first place is gross incompetence of the lowest order. Aquilini is probably part of the issue as to why the Canucks didn't even bother buyout out the very buy-out-able contract of Brandon Sutter, but there really just doesn't appear to be any sort of plan this offseason. Benning is flying by the seat of his pants more than ever now.

The good news is that the forward market is so insanely depressed that the Canucks could get a top six forward for pretty cheap. Whether that's Duclair or Hoffman, I don't know.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:55 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Pokecheque wrote:
losing Toffoli after spending valuable assets to get him in the first place is gross incompetence of the lowest order. Aquilini is probably part of the issue as to why the Canucks didn't even bother buyout out the very buy-out-able contract of Brandon Sutter, but there really just doesn't appear to be any sort of plan this offseason. Benning is flying by the seat of his pants more than ever now.

Apparently, they'd been in talks about OEL for a few weeks before free agency day so the incompetence goes back further than just this past week. I mean, how could they NOT plan for a scenario that didn't include OEL? Was he that confident that he could get it done? And why did he wait until Epp's deadline to work on re-signing Markstrom, Tanev, Stecher or Toffoli? I can forgive him for allowing Tanev to go to FA (I had already made up MY mind that it was time to cut him loose) and Markstrom probably wouldn't have given him a discount so close to FA... He should have planned for a scenario where he could sign Markstrom early thereby tying up $5-$6M, and maybe he did do just that, but couldn't offer him the trade protection and term he wanted but CGY could give. Fine, I can live with that. Getting Holtby for less term, $ and no trade protection is worth the (hopefully) slight statistical downgrade from Markstrom.

He would still have to find a replacement RD for Tanev and Stecher would have been a good stop gap but it seems the absence of communication from JB's office pissed him off enough that Stecher accepted an offer from Detroit. So now they lose Stecher, Tanev and Markstrom for NOTHING. JB could have at least made an early offer to Toffoli - but he didn't. A decision on Toffoli should have been independent of the machinations for an OEL trade, unless of course, JB was trying to offload a bad contract or two with a JV sweetener. Clearly that wasn't enough.

Pokecheque wrote:
The good news is that the forward market is so insanely depressed that the Canucks could get a top six forward for pretty cheap. Whether that's Duclair or Hoffman, I don't know.

Meh... Unless they can get Tyler Toffoli somehow, I don't see anything as happening to upgrade the forward group at a price point that is reasonable... This is a catastrophe of a FA season but one that Canucks fan could see coming for at least a couple of years now...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:25 pm 

Las Vegas also expects there to be a Canadian division next year and I think he's right. Even if the border barriers get lifted before the start of the season there is no guarantee they won't be put back in effect during the season. As such Vegas doesn't need to worry about facing Schmidt this season.

And the worry over in division trades are so overblown anyways. Its a narrative that really reflects the fear and conservative nature of GM's. In the old 6 team NHL if they had been this worried nobody would ever have been traded.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:31 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
Meh... Unless they can get Tyler Toffoli somehow, I don't see anything as happening to upgrade the forward group at a price point that is reasonable... This is a catastrophe of a FA season but one that Canucks fan could see coming for at least a couple of years now...

Oh there's definitely nothing close to Toffoli--Jimmy done fucked up there. He got a golden ticket bailout to replace Tanev but not Toffoli or Stecher. And all the problematic contracts the Canucks had that led to this issue in the first place are still there.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:09 am 
OTP Historian

Logical Progression wrote:
Bosc wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:
Demko, please! ;)

Jimbo can find a way!

Fogghorn wrote:
Yep but Demko is the #1 star in Bosc's spank bank this month and he can't move on. It's tough to give up your fantasy crush. :P

:D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:05 pm 

I'm so desperate for Canuck's news I've read this https://canucksarmy.com/2020/11/30/upda ... -included/