OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:59 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

The off-season started a few days ago with some nice videos of the Isles being greeted at the airport by fans, and then them returning home to family. Matt Martin had only seen his first child for a few days before he left for the bubble, so she'd grown quite a bit without him there to see it.

Now, time to start looking at potential roster moves for the summ, errrr, off-season in the time of year when the regular season is regularly starting. Fuck you 2020.

The Isles have $8.9 million in cap space as of now according to CapFriendly. Not a lot to sign the guys they have to sign and maybe try to add a scoring forward.

UFAs
Forward
Matt Martin- had as many goals in the playoffs as he did in the regular season, several of which were huge. He had laid off his physicality in the regular season a bit, but brought it back big time for the playoffs. He's always been a fan favorite. I wouldn't mind seeing him return although not anywhere near the $4 million he made last year.
Kuhnackl- he filled in well when needed and played for league minimum. I think he was underused, but whenever he was in the lineup he brought "it", whatever it is. Not sure he'd want to stick around again to play like 28 games as a spare part, but I'm not sure anyone else is going to give him better opportunities either. He'd probably be smart to sign somewhere for a year and have his agent pump his tires to Seattle as the ever elusive veteran presence.
Brassard- If he's willing to return for around the same $1.2 million they'd be smart to keep him. He was decent as a third liner, with some real skill shown now and then. Worked well with Pageau. Not really a center anymore, but may be able to slot in there in a pinch. He's a better option than the Isles have in the system as of now.

Defense
Greene- Gandalph the Greene was great in the playoffs when Boychuk went down. He shouldn't get anywhere near the $5 million aav he just had, but he's definitely still a good d-man to have.

Goalie
Greiss- at times he looks like a real #1 and other times he looks like a #4. But if you play him while he's hot, he can steal a few games in a row. Seems to work best in a 1a/1b situation, and is always calming to his D because he's just the most relaxed guy on the planet. But Varlamov is signed for 3 more years and Sorokin is finally here, so I think Greiss' time with the Isles is done. Sorokin was practicing with the team all through the bubble and several players commented that he is great, so I don't think he's headed to Bridgeport. So Greiss is expendable, unless Lou moves Sorokin's friend Varlamov, which I can't see happening. Although Greiss would likely be cheaper than Varlamov's $4 million aav.

RFAs
Forward
Barzal- The Kid Who Won the Calder isn't arbitration eligible, and Lou is a shrewd businessman, but Barzal has also said in the past that he loves the chaos offer sheets bring, so Lou may give him more than he "needs" to just to get a deal done. No matter what, the Isles can't lose him. Even if he got a megadeal from someone else that brought them 4 draft picks, the likelihood of getting a player better than Barzal is slim/none. Coming off his ELC, he's going to cause a big dent in the cap space. He probably goes for a bridge deal.

Defense
Pulock- One of the best 1-timers in the league. They just need more PP options so he isn't covered as tightly. And more movement, but that's another story. They can't lose him either. He's coming off a $2 million aav deal. Sure to get at least double that.
Toews- Coming off a $1.4 million aav deal. He's potentially a trade chip for a forward. He is good and definitely fast. Kind of a younger, cheaper version of Leddy (who I'd rather see moved). Isles fans seem to have turned on him. Not entirely sure why.

Anchors (to a drowning man)
Forwards
Ladd- $5.5 million aav for another 3 years! Snow's worst contract by far. He's played a combined 31 NHL games in the last 2 years and only played 34 in Bridgeport this year. The "ass kicker" brought in to augment Tavares' mellow leadership needs to go lead another team, from their press box. Maybe he'd be a good assistant coach in Bridgeport. god knows they need help developing players. But Ladd should just take LTIR and get the Isles some cap space.
Komarov- 2 more years at $3 million aav. He's not much more than a PKer and supposedly funny in the locker room. Hire a comedian who doesn't count against the cap to take his place and get whatever draft picks for him you can.

Defense
Boychuk- $6 million aav for another 2 years for a guy who is hurt too often. I like his game, but he's just not an every day player anymore.
Hickey- making $2.5 million aav for 2 more years and was in Bridgeport all year. Dobson made him totally expendable but obviously they couldn't trade him. Had a bad concussion in Bridgeport that makes him even tougher to move.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:02 pm 

Rumor is the Jets are looking to trade Laine but want a 2nd line center back. Isles are rumored to be very interested, but certainly can't afford to give up a center. Maybe Lou tries to work a 3-way trade, sending D to a team with a center to spare so the Isles could finally get the sniper they need. It's a rumor of course... But hey, why not talk with myself about rumors in here? It's 2020. Who isn't talking to themselves?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:46 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Chris18 wrote:
Rumor is the Jets are looking to trade Laine but want a 2nd line center back. Isles are rumored to be very interested, but certainly can't afford to give up a center. Maybe Lou tries to work a 3-way trade, sending D to a team with a center to spare so the Isles could finally get the sniper they need. It's a rumor of course... But hey, why not talk with myself about rumors in here? It's 2020. Who isn't talking to themselves?

Can any team afford to give up a center really? Maybe Montreal if indeed they're done with Danault, but that's about all I can think of.

I'd think the Isles' biggest needs lie on defense. I don't know what Dobson projects as but New York's blueline is lacking that big go-to guy. Pulock is, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, their best defenseman. Toews is probably their next best (?). Leddy and Boychuk are old, Mayfield and Pelech are depth options--unless their version of Sebastian Aho is going to be as good as the one in Carolina, I'm guessing they need to do something to upgrade the D.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:50 pm 
Big in Japan

Mayfield was lights out in the playoffs. What a bargain he is. Might be the two after Pulock.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:31 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Mayfield was lights out in the playoffs. What a bargain he is. Might be the two after Pulock.

Totally disagree there. Pulock is far better offensively and people keep showing fancy stats that have him way over Mayfield.

Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Can any team afford to give up a center really? Maybe Montreal if indeed they're done with Danault, but that's about all I can think of.

I'd think the Isles' biggest needs lie on defense. I don't know what Dobson projects as but New York's blueline is lacking that big go-to guy. Pulock is, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, their best defenseman. Toews is probably their next best (?). Leddy and Boychuk are old, Mayfield and Pelech are depth options--unless their version of Sebastian Aho is going to be as good as the one in Carolina, I'm guessing they need to do something to upgrade the D.

Pelech is the Isles' best d-man. Their total collapse happened right after he went down with the injury. He doesn't get noticed much, but it's largely because people don't pass to the side he's covering because his guy is so well covered. The NBC analysts were talking about him during the Flyers series, and how he's just always in the right spot. Now and then he makes a dumb decision and pinches at a bad time, giving up a 2 on 1, but it's getting more rare with experience.

I'd say D-zone Pelech is their best d-man. O-zone Pulock is. They play together usually, so they are by far the top pair.
Mayfield gets better every year. Dobson is going to make someone expendable next year. Toews is good in both zones.
Leddy and Boychuk are getting old, especially Boychuk. But he still brings some physicality that only Mayfield really brings most of the time. Pulock will throw a big hit now and then but Boychuk usually makes other teams very aware of his presence. Leddy is going to slow down someday, and I don't know why, but I feel like it'll be next year.

The Isles also have Aho, who has been pretty good in the AHL, and Hickey, who would likely be a 3rd pairing guy on several other teams. So they've got D to move if they have to.

I know centers are in short supply these days, that's why the Isles had to overpay for Pageau.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:13 pm 

Paraphrasing of Lou:

Cizikas, Pelech and Kuhnackl all had successful surgeries. Still no clue what Kuhnackl's issue was.

Not all Isles RFAs will receive qualifying offers. Everyone's immediate assumption- Ho-Sang. Lou rebuts that, saying Ho-Sang will receive one. Strange.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:24 pm 
Big in Japan

I've had a kuhl in my nackle. Not fun.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:50 pm 

E.L. wrote:
I've had a kuhl in my nackle. Not fun.

I find Kuhl in the nackle to be quite pleasant.

Ackle in the Kuhn on the other hand... :x

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:15 am 
Big in Japan

The Athletic had the Isles in the "sensitive to an offer sheet" category, especially if they can't dump Ladd or Boychuk.

2. Ryan Pulock: $6.54 million x five years
3. Devon Toews: $5 million x five years
7. Mathew Barzal: $9.09 million x six years

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:28 pm 

E.L. wrote:
The Athletic had the Isles in the "sensitive to an offer sheet" category, especially if they can't dump Ladd or Boychuk.

2. Ryan Pulock: $6.54 million x five years
3. Devon Toews: $5 million x five years
7. Mathew Barzal: $9.09 million x six years

I agree. And Barzal has said in the past that he loves the chaos of offer sheets. :x This is where the phrase "Trust in Lou" becomes necessary.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:59 pm 
Big in Japan

The Other Aho signs a 2-year deal. Good insurance in case they have to move out a few defencemen.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:14 pm 

Aho's deal is an interesting one- 1st year is a 2-way deal, paying him $250k in the AHL and the 2nd year is a 1-way deal paying $750k wherever he is.

Goalie prospect Linus Soderstrom was let walk. He battled a lot of injuries the last few years. Best of luck dude!

Ho-Sang was given a QO. Kind of surprising.
Also given QOs- a bunch of minor league guys. AND- Barzal, Pulock and Toews, who will obviously negotiate much larger contracts.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:48 pm 

I have no idea if any of the Isles' picks are good, bad or what. The goalie they took in the 7th round is 6'8". :shock: That's a big dude.

Best part of the draft was members of the Isles' broadcast team discussing a Bruins pick on Twitter- https://twitter.com/AJMleczko/status/1313923610390781958
:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:32 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
I have no idea if any of the Isles' picks are good, bad or what. The goalie they took in the 7th round is 6'8". :shock: That's a big dude.

He'll end up playing in Europe, then return to the NHL with Edmonton and sign a bloated contract the team immediately regrets.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:37 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

He'll end up playing in Europe, then return to the NHL with Edmonton and sign a bloated contract the team immediately regrets.

Lather, rinse, repeat... :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:48 am 

There must be something wrong with the internet. I can't find any info on the Isles signing anyone. Or trades. Shrug.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:04 am 

Biggest Islander news so far- Bellows was caught/disciplined for performance enhancing drugs. Lou was asked about it and basically said "the league has handled it. That's all."
Maybe that means it happened a while ago and he was suspended for the playoffs, and that's why he wasn't in the bubble.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:45 am 
Big in Japan

Talk in local media that the Habs would love Matt Martin, but he's married to a NYer and not leaving the area. Isles, Devils or maybe Flyers for him.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:19 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Talk in local media that the Habs would love Matt Martin, but he's married to a NYer and not leaving the area. Isles, Devils or maybe Flyers for him.

No idea if they plan to make him an offer or not. Lou keeps everything tight. If you've heard an Islanders rumor, it's either false or now dead.

Greiss goes to Detroit. Best of luck dude!

Toews, Pulock and Ho-Sang all file for arbitration, so they're not offer sheet eligible. However, the Isles one big RFA fish, Barzal, can't file for arbitration. One rumor I've seen is that Clumbus cleared all that cap space to give him an offer sheet.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:20 pm 

Welcome to the Bridgeport Noise Lions, A.J. Greer!

Traded for defenseman Kyle Burroughs, which is nice since the Eagles were in the market for blueline depth.

Brief history, because I know you're gonna care about this, Chris:

Anthony-John Greer was taken in the 2nd round (39th overall) of the 2015 draft. With him gone that draft ends up being a disaster for the Avs save for that big Finnish winger the team took in the first round at 10th overall. Reportedly Patrick Roy demanded he be taken. It ended up being a bad choice.

He's big, mean, and has some skill, but skating isn't great and he has a propensity to take dumb penalties. A couple seasons ago he was on a callup and started a fight with Blake Wheeler in a game where the Avs were trying to rally against the Jets, and that didn't sit well with Bednar at all. Some Avs fans (for a time, I was one of them) felt Bednar wasn't giving him a legit shot and kept him in the doghouse ever since that one incident. But it turns out the guy's just not that great. He's a reasonably productive power forward in the AHL (think minor league Alex Killorn) but at the NHL level he's a 4th liner at best. The only thing I'm upset about is that it's yet another component (J.T. Compher and the now-traded Nikita Zadorov are the others) of the Ryan O'Reilly trade that didn't pan out.

Oh, and he got arrested about a year or so ago along with his buddy Sonny Milano for getting into a fight with some guy who owed them beer money or something like that, obviously the organization didn't take kindly to that either.