OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Rebuild
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:09 am 
OTP Historian

Draft choice acquired with Kyle Brodziak by dealing Mike Green to the Oilers.

https://twitter.com/m_bultman/status/12 ... 2310125568

Quote:
Pick in the Mike Green trade is a 4th-rounder in 2020, goes to a third in 2021 if the Oilers make the final 4 and Green plays 50 percent of the games in rds. 1 and 2. Wings retain 50% salary.

OK.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:41 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Athanasiou heads to Edmonton as well, for 2 2nd rounders (!!!) and Sam Gagner.

Kenny just can't help himself. They should see if he's interested in taking on Abdelkader's or Glendening's contracts.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:42 pm 
OTP Historian

Trying to win via the Matthew Good Band method.

Time to go get our Kucherov, Bergeron, Marchand, Weber, Josi, Subban.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:40 pm 
Big in Japan

Wings sign coveted scoring winger Mathias Brome from Sweden.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:18 pm 

Continuing the discussion from the Draft Lottery thread...

RW wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:
E.L. wrote:
I'm surprised Askarov hasn't made too many top tens, because I'm pretty sure one goalie starved team will take the plunge after the top 3 goes.

I think that'd be a mistake. And that's nothing against Askarov, but trying to build around a goalie almost never pays off. The Devils did it, but they, of course, had a generational talent who stayed at the top of his game for almost the entirety of his career. Montreal is a prime example of why you don't do it. Price was hands-down the best goalie in the league when he was in his prime, but injuries have largely reduced him to a shell of his former self. The Wings have bigger needs, especially if Zadina doesn't pan out as hoped.

Most mock drafts I've seen have a top three of Lafreniere/Byfield/Stutzle in various combinations, which allows the Red Wings the option of getting the top defenseman in this draft, or taking a top forward. Jamie Drysdale seems like the smart pick, but there's also Cole Perfetti, Marco Rossi, and Lucas Raymond, all with the potential to be elite forwards in the NHL.

I'm not suggesting that Detroit build the team around Askarov. I view as more of a significant piece in part of the rebuild. All the prospect raters seem to think that he is a possible generational or at least an All-Star calibre NHL goaltender. Does he come with risk? Of course, he does, but, so do the other prospects at #4. He seems the prospect with the greatest upside. For me, that makes him the best prospect left at any position. He also fits a significant need that currently exists with the Red Wings.

My best guess is that if Yzerman wants Askarov and believes him to be an elite franchise goalie in the future, he's just gonna go ahead and take him. He probably could have traded down to take Moritz Seider but just took him 6th overall. I can understand why. You trade down and then that guy gets taken earlier, you did it for nothing. Besides, that's starting to look like a savvy pick now.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

Latest Mock Draft has the Wings taking forward Lucas Raymond.

https://theathletic.com/1913754/2020/07 ... hl%20draft

Max Bultman builds the case for Detroit to take Drysdale.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:58 pm 

Sometimes Twitter is awesome.

https://twitter.com/iyer_prashanth/stat ... 5748379649

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:00 pm 
Big in Japan

I have a feeling the "rebuild" will get a jolt this offseason. Specifically, I've seen both Krug and Pietrangelo rumoured to be in Yzerman's sights, and they have ample room for both.

With no Lafreniere coming, I dont think this team will be able to dig out of their hole simply through drafting.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:55 pm 

E.L. wrote:
I have a feeling the "rebuild" will get a jolt this offseason. Specifically, I've seen both Krug and Pietrangelo rumoured to be in Yzerman's sights, and they have ample room for both.

With no Lafreniere coming, I dont think this team will be able to dig out of their hole simply through drafting.

If Yzerman re-creates the drafting machine he had in Tampa, he might very well be able to dig his way out. I mean, the Bolts outright whiffed on Drouin and Koekkoek and it didn't even matter because they somehow found Point, Cirelli, and Kucherov with third, third, and second round picks, respectively.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:59 pm 
Big in Japan

Fabbri re-signs: 2 years, 2.95M AAV

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:30 am 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
Fabbri re-signs: 2 years, 2.95M AAV

Still only 24 and had a pretty decent bounceback year on a terrible team. Shouldn't be difficult to move if he continues to play well, whenever that will be.

Franzen's deal is off the books. Wow. Time flies. Really hoping he's healthy.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:41 pm 

I assume they're gonna tank it one more season, but maybe Yzerman surprises and makes some big signings.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:47 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
I assume they're gonna tank it one more season, but maybe Yzerman surprises and makes some big signings.

You can do both: sign Krug now because he's available, local and young enough to still be effective in a few years.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:22 pm 
Big in Japan

The Wings have loaned a number of two-way guys to teams in Europe, where training camps are underway. They're eligible to come back when the next NHL season begins, whenever that is.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:14 am 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

Why would Krug or Pietrangelo want to sign with Detroit unless they were paid stupid money? They are both good players who probably don't want to spend the prime of their careers on a team that's rebuilding. It's not time for Detroit to go after guys like this and overpay them. That's just a waste of cap space. They won't make Detroit that much better. We still need to rebuild through the draft for the next few years. Here in Detroit the wish, if not for Askarov, who is the first choice on a surprising number of fan wish lists, is for Drysdale or Perfetti.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:33 am 
OTP Historian

Krug and Pietrangelo are 29 and 30? Where the hell did the time go?

On that note I agree Skip, I don't think those are the guys I would want the Wings to target right now. If it were a couple of years down the road then maybe but not right now. Adding one or even both of those guys isn't going to turn this team into a Stanley Cup contender. There are too many other holes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:54 pm 
Big in Japan

Not sure if it was mentioned elsewhere, but Mike Green announced his retirement.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:10 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Not sure if it was mentioned elsewhere, but Mike Green announced his retirement.

I saw that when it occurred but I just assumed that someone would place it into the Edmonton thread as he was their player.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:26 pm 

I do want to add that I am perfectly fine with the Red Wings weaponizing their substantial cap space for the next year or two by taking short term bad contracts on players from other teams for high-end draft picks. The Red Wings are probably going to suck balls anyway so they might as well use every tool available to them to accomplish their goals.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:27 pm 
Big in Japan

RW wrote:
E.L. wrote:

I saw that when it occurred but I just assumed that someone would place it into the Edmonton thread as he was their player.

In Edmonton for a hot minute. Was unsure of whether to pay homage here or the Caps board, but who remembers anything about his Caps days?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:51 am 
Old Man of the Post

When does FA start? Heard that the Red Wings are kicking the tires on Jacob Markstrom. You could do a lot worst...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next