OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 894 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fuck this team
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:44 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I suppose I could live with that if I'm a team taking him on. Minnesota and Arizona should get on the phone and see what the ask is. Neither club is swimming in cap room so it may require another deal or a salary coming back, but both those clubs would benefit astoundingly well from a player like that and unlike some other clubs, they could play him as a top-line or second-line center as he desires.

While I'd LOVE for the Avs to add him, man, Bergevin would likely demand a huge prospect in return, and then he's pretty much the third line center in Denver...so Sakic may have to look elsewhere if he's not going to make a deal there.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:58 pm 
Big in Japan

Danault finished 6th in Selke voting. There's a lot of namebrand recognition when it comes this award, so it's an achievement.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:37 pm 
Big in Japan

Habs trade a 5th for LD Joel Edmundson, who is such a Bergevin guy it hurts. Big dman, sorta reliable at both ends. Stats were not kind to him but Brind'Amour loves him.

He's a UFA, probably going to get the Chiarot deal.

We all saw it coming, so even if I don't think it's a very exciting move, I'm glad he got it out of the way.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:12 pm 
Big in Japan

Chiarot-Weber
Kulak-Petry
Edmundson-Juulsen/Mete/Romanov/Fleury

Is a sorta solid defence. Still no PP guy.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:54 pm 
Big in Japan

Time for the Habs to earmark future cap room to a few upcoming extensions: Gallagher, Petry, Danault, Armia, Tatar. I ordered these in likelihood of happening. This is also contingent on the current economics not throwing everything out of whack.

Gallagher has been one of the most underpaid players in recent years, which always adds a layer of difficulty when negotiating a new deal. He's been making 3.75M the last six seasons. He'll be 29 when his new deal kicks in and has had a billion injuries over the years. Not the kind of player who will age well, but also the kind of heart and soul guy you can't bear to lose. He's also Bergy's priority.

Gallagher: 6 years, 6.5M AAV? The Kreider deal, basically.

No defenceman has been more important to the Habs the last five years than Jeff Petry. Even more than Weber, especially when Weber has been hurt. Also a smidge underpaid at 5.5M the last six seasons, but he also got better as the deal went on, and was seen as a slight overpay when he initially signed. He'll be 33, so less years.

Petry: 4 years, 7M AAV? Edler and Stralman were in the 6M range, and apologies to them but Petry is way better.

Danault, we've talked about him at length here. Hayes got 7.14M AAV over 7 for a clean 50M, and while he provides a bit more offence, I'd say Danault is the better player overall. Only way this gets done, IMO, is if Danault wants to stay and takes length over AAV.

Danault: 8 years, 6.25M AAV. Gets his 50M guarantee. Plays till he's 36, which for a guy who wins with his legs more than his body isn't the end of the world.

Armia brings things to the table the Habs just don't have otherwise: big dude, right-handed RW, great PKer, great forechecker, decent scorer. They'll hate to lose him, but I think he only returns if they can't sign one of the bigger names.

Armia: 3 years, 3.5M AAV. Might come under that, actually. He's not quite in Doonskoi or Connolly's range, but he has size.

Tatar won't be back, unless they dump Drouin/Domi and just don't have anyone else. I like him a lot, he's a feisty player who scores, but he's a bit older than the others and seems the most replaceable.

Tatar: He's better than Zuccarrello, no? Although we can all admit Mats was overpaid. 4-5 years, 6M AAV?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:53 pm 
Big in Japan

Here's Bergevin listing all the teams Mike Sillinger played for, in order, from memory: https://twitter.com/HabsLinks/status/13 ... 47137?s=09

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:35 pm 
Big in Japan

E.L. wrote:
He's a UFA, probably going to get the Chiarot deal.

Got the AAV right but Edmundson got an extra year: 4 years, 3.5M AAV.

Seattle will have their pick of depth defencemen from the Habs.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:07 am 
Big in Japan

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2020 ... ks-forward

Would the Habs be interested in Brandon Saad? 6M for one more year. Loading up on pending UFAs on the cheap (and he would be cheap, trade-wise) and going for it before partially rebuilding around a few extensions is a decent strategy if you want to go for it before your key guys get expensive.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:46 am 
Big in Japan

Jake Evans re-signs: 2 years, 750K AAV, first year is two-way. Great deal for the Habs if he locks up the 4C spot as hoped. Evans gets a little guaranteed money and a solid AHL base in uncertain times. Good for both sides.

Really liked his play in 6 postseason games. Not a strong or fast guy, but he's smart with or without the puck and can chip in on offence. I nice depth guy to have.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:14 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

E.L. wrote:
https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2020/9/20/21444024/brandon-saad-free-agency-montreal-canadiens-goals-secondary-scoring-blackhawks-forward

Would the Habs be interested in Brandon Saad? 6M for one more year. Loading up on pending UFAs on the cheap (and he would be cheap, trade-wise) and going for it before partially rebuilding around a few extensions is a decent strategy if you want to go for it before your key guys get expensive.

Obviously talented, but I remember around the time he got flipped back to Chicago for Panarin that they had Portzline on the radio and he said Lumbus was going to be done with him one way or the other. Apparently he has a rep for taking shifts off.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:14 pm 
Big in Japan

4 years, 6.25M AAV for Petry. Awesome deal for the Habs.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:44 pm 
OTP Clown

Wow!

He must love it there!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:34 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

E.L. wrote:

Very good deal. I'm sure he would have got more next year when his deal was done.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:15 pm 
Big in Japan

Scott 679 wrote:
E.L. wrote:

Very good deal. I'm sure he would have got more next year when his deal was done.

Petry said the play of the two young centres convinced him the Habs are on the right track. He and his wife are also big in the community and seem to like it here. In the early going of COVID they bought a lot of lunches for MUHC hospital staff.

Good guy, irreplaceable player signed to a manageable 4 years. Couldn't ask for more.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:29 pm 
Big in Japan

Bergevin did the media rounds and was, as usual, candid about some things and guarded about others.

On Domi, he said when he's up, he's up, and when he's down, he's in his head, keeping track of linemates and icetime and disagreeing with the coach. Needs to return to a north to south game.

Got cornered on Hall and Laine and shied away from expressing interest. But he's willing to deal picks and futures to help the team now. Sounded more inclined to make a deal than spend on a UFA.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:34 pm 
Big in Japan

Habs likely have interest in Tyler Toffoli and Craig Smith to provide some offence at RW. Similar profiles to Brendan Gallagher: they take a lot of shots and about 20 will land in the net.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:59 pm 
Big in Japan

Domi out. Traded to CBJ for Josh Anderson, a tantalizing power forward who scored...1 goal last season. 1 goal. Not a lot of goals.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:09 pm 
Big in Japan

I don't even hate the deal per se, because a healthy Anderson would really be a boon to this team. But I do think Domi is a much safer bet and I'm surprised the Habs couldn't have gotten more.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:19 pm 
King of Men

That's too bad, I guess I would have expected more.....Domi for Anderson....well someone liked it at least.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:33 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

E.L. wrote:
I don't even hate the deal per se, because a healthy Anderson would really be a boon to this team. But I do think Domi is a much safer bet and I'm surprised the Habs couldn't have gotten more.

I totally agree. If you look at Anderson's numbers, he averages about 35 points in a full season.

Domi in 71 games this year and an off year had 44 points. Still to early to tell, as Anderson has had some injuries, but would still think the Habs should have got a lot more, as we also gave up a 2020 third round pick, along with Domi.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 894 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next