OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:22 am 
King of Men

Eh.....as I said before a lot of distractions this year and the Bruins just couldn't overcome.

The lightning were just a better team and deciding to actually play like the Bruins did earlier in the year for 3 periods just wasn't going to cut it.

I don't believe they were ever really invested until it was too late.

Secondary scoring and size is a big problem for this team.....which is new territory.

They've got some decisions to make. Something in Torey's body language tells me he is going to test the market.

Does Chara come back?

Tuukka....do we just ignore it for another year and let the contract run out?

As I said earlier its time for Cam and Don to start acting for the future while there is still some grace period in this aging core. They've got 3 years max.

Its been a FANTASTIC run with this team and their constant success over the years is spoiling to any fan so a big THANK YOU Bs from this fan.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:00 am 
Big in Japan

Why I'm not a GM: I thought the Bruins absolutely grifted the Ducks getting Ondrej Kase in the Backes and a 1st contract dump, but Kase was a ghost throughout his time in Boston. He shot a lot and Krejci supposedly liked him, so I don't know if they'll give him another chance.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:12 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

E.L. wrote:
Why I'm not a GM: I thought the Bruins absolutely grifted the Ducks getting Ondrej Kase in the Backes and a 1st contract dump, but Kase was a ghost throughout his time in Boston. He shot a lot and Krejci supposedly liked him, so I don't know if they'll give him another chance.

It was a grift as far as anyone should be concerned. Bob Murray is a transcendently bad GM. The draft/development machine in Anaheim continually supplies him with young talent he always seems to squander. Meanwhile he throws everything into getting washed-up and expensive vets. I have no idea why that guy still has a job.

I also think Kase bouncing back is a better bet than Krejci, who had a subpar season analytics-wise despite good production. Still, all things considered, that's a pretty fragile pair of players is it not?

The one trade that made absolutely no sense to me at all, speaking of the Ducks, is Ritchie. Why the hell would you want that guy? The only thing he did this whole series was level a supremely dirty hit that warranted a major and cost the B's the game. I mean...just look the guy up. He's on par with Cam Barker for dumbest-looking NHL player in history.

Still not sure if Don Sweeney is a good GM, but I don't think he's a bad one either. He stumbled out of the gate badly at the 2015 draft, and the organization has publicly admitted as such, so he might get a pass for that (at least they got Debrusk out of it). He's a very interesting GM in his approach--he generally stands pat in the offseason, then goes crazy at the deadline. I like a lot of his deadline moves, but now he may be forced to be active this offseason.

Not sure if he can succeed in signing Krug, but if both he and Chara leave, that'll be a mortal blow to Boston's defense. McAvoy is good, but no one's good enough to weather the loss of two top blueline talents like that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:15 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
It was a grift as far as anyone should be concerned. Bob Murray is a transcendently bad GM. The draft/development machine in Anaheim continually supplies him with young talent he always seems to squander. Meanwhile he throws everything into getting washed-up and expensive vets. I have no idea why that guy still has a job.

I totally agree and I'm not here to Duck up the thread, but Murray also seemingly traded Montour too soon, but he's now burning out in Buffalo and they're willing to give him away, so maybe he's astute in sizing up his own players?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:49 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

E.L. wrote:
I totally agree and I'm not here to Duck up the thread, but Murray also seemingly traded Montour too soon, but he's now burning out in Buffalo and they're willing to give him away, so maybe he's astute in sizing up his own players?

That doesn't excuse giving away Shea Theodore for nothing to the expansion club. I think Montour's still good, but maybe not a core guy who can log major minutes. It ain't like Buffalo knows what to do with talent anymore than Anaheim.

Anyway, I agree, let's not Duck up the thread. I just read that Cassidy said in the postmortem presser that Kase and Pastrnak weren't in shape when they showed up to camp a few weeks ago. Would explain Kase's no-show in these playoffs. Pastrnak is so insanely talented he can just float around while Marchand and Bergeron do all the work, he just has to be in the right place to put the puck in the net. Probably wouldn't matter if he showed up next season sporting a beer gut. He is this generation's Brett Hull.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:43 pm 
King of Men

Pokecheque wrote:
Pastrnak is so insanely talented he can just float around while Marchand and Bergeron do all the work, he just has to be in the right place to put the puck in the net. Probably wouldn't matter if he showed up next season sporting a beer gut. He is this generation's Brett Hull.

:lol: That's about the most accurate assessment of Pastrnak that I've heard. Yeah apparently he was out partying with Kase without a care in the world....ah...young people during a pandemic!