OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:45 pm 
Big in Japan

They're wasting two careers right now...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:28 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Just wondering- do the Oilers get screamed at that they're wasting McDavid's career?

Oh do they ever, on twitter at least.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:40 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

E.L. wrote:

Three. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is a seriously underrated and underappreciated player.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:49 am 

Chris18 wrote:
Just wondering- do the Oilers get screamed at that they're wasting McDavid's career? When the Isles had Tavares fans of other teams would scream that he's wasting away with a go-nowhere team. The Oilers have had 2934087 1st overall picks on their roster in the last 14 years. Okay, that might be a slight exaggeration on my part, but that's how it feels.

Funny you should ask...

https://deadspin.com/connor-mcdavid-des ... 1844665253

Deadspin is a hollow echo of its former self, but this is as fun and relentlessly scathing as it gets.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:17 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
E.L. wrote:

Three. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is a seriously underrated and underappreciated player.

Kinda shocked they haven't traded him for dumb character guys yet, but good on em, I suppose.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:07 pm 
King of Men

What's up in Alberta? Why is every early playoff exit met with a call for truculence and pugnacity? If that's the case then they should have kept Lucic.....how about better D and goaltending!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:02 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Just wondering- do the Oilers get screamed at that they're wasting McDavid's career? When the Isles had Tavares fans of other teams would scream that he's wasting away with a go-nowhere team. The Oilers have had 2934087 1st overall picks on their roster in the last 14 years. Okay, that might be a slight exaggeration on my part, but that's how it feels.

Funny you should ask...

https://deadspin.com/connor-mcdavid-des ... 1844665253

Deadspin is a hollow echo of its former self, but this is as fun and relentlessly scathing as it gets.

That was good shit. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:50 am 

harmfuljays wrote:
What's up in Alberta? Why is every early playoff exit met with a call for truculence and pugnacity? If that's the case then they should have kept Lucic.....how about better D and goaltending!

I follow a number of Canadian sportswriters, analytics experts, and even a few journalists and political pundits. Unless I read a lot of what they’re saying wrong, Alberta is their version of Texas. Very conservative (and their Premier, Jason Kenney, has no friends among the people I follow). It might be a bit of a leap, but there’s plenty of overlap between sports fans who embrace old-school ideals and conservatives who embrace old-school ideas.

There are huge exceptions of course. Brian Burke (who of course is American and not from Alberta, so this might be a bad example) is as old-school and brazenly disdainful of things like analytics as you can get in sports, yet he’s refreshingly progressive with his politics.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:31 pm 
Big in Japan

Oilers bring RW Adam Cracknell back from China on a juiced up two-way contract. He's old, but I thought he deserved a shot in Montreal the year he lit up Laval. But I get it, he's had enough chances to, err, crack the lineup.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:48 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Back just in time to be a centerpiece expansion pickup for the Kraknel. I mean, Kraken.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:35 pm 
Big in Japan

Connor has COVID https://www.theglobeandmail.com/amp/spo ... ssion=true

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:17 am 
OTP Historian

Hopefully no long-term effects for Connor. McCovid? Too easy?

Like the Oil statement that he's in voluntary self-quarantine. Voluntary? Ok there. You get a positive diagnosis, you stay the fuck home.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:34 am 

Bosc wrote:
McCovid? Too easy?

I thought of it but didn't write it. So yes, too easy. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:15 pm 
Big in Japan

Oilers don't qualify Anathasiou after doling out 2 2nds for him. Better than doubling down on a mistake, I suppose.

They also got Puljujarvi back for 2 years at a nice contract.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:42 pm 

So far I don't quite understand what Ken Holland is doing. But he's a far smarter man than I so, I guess we'll see...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:43 am 
Big in Japan

Oil add Sabres cast-off Dominik Kahun. Perfect fit for the German: he's played internationally with Leon Draisaitl.

Not saying the Sabres are going to regret replacing him with Hall, but Kahun could easily get 50-55 points riding shotgun with his countryman.

I don't hate what the Oilers have done. Just wish they got a goalie.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:43 am 
Big in Japan

Oil are kicking the snot out of the Sens tonight. 8-3 after 40, Leon with 6 assists.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:47 am 
Big in Japan

McDavid was frustrated last night, threw an elbow at Kotkaniemi's head. Only got 2 minutes, and given his stature, I'm surprised he even got that.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:14 pm 

E.L. wrote:
McDavid was frustrated last night, threw an elbow at Kotkaniemi's head. Only got 2 minutes, and given his stature, I'm surprised he even got that.

Now he got a $5k fine. In a normal season he makes $152k/game. Does someone making $12.5 million even know what $5k is? How the hell are these fines so damn small? Ridiculous. For me, $5k would keep from doing almost anything. When the dude makes more/game than I do in a year? Not exactly a deterrent.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:16 pm 
Big in Japan

Chris18 wrote:
E.L. wrote:

Now he got a $5k fine. In a normal season he makes $152k/game. Does someone making $12.5 million even know what $5k is? How the hell are these fines so damn small? Ridiculous. For me, $5k would keep from doing almost anything. When the dude makes more/game than I do in a year? Not exactly a deterrent.

I imagine him at the pawn shop now, trying to hawk one of his 50 XBoxes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next