OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:57 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
Lou and Barry have done a good job in the wake of poor management before their arrival and the departure of the team's best player, but I still don't love how this team plays hockey. But if it wins, who really cares.

Varly committed a trapezoid violation the other day. I seriously cannot remember the last time a goalie did that. Such a stupid rule.

It's a dumb rule, but it's been a rule for as long as he's been in the league, hasn't it? If not, it's gotta be most of his career anyway.

Pokecheque wrote:
https://twitter.com/NHLHubsLife/status/1292184205464674311?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1292184205464674311%7Ctwgr%5E&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2F2%2Ftwitter.min.html1292184205464674311

That video was in my link 2 posts above. But it's worth posting multiple times.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:09 pm 

Just lost a nice, long post. First time in a long time. I must have been excited after the Isles big comeback and forgot about the timeout. :(

Isles were down 2-0, looking like stir fried dog shit. Kept taking dumb penalties. Caps looked bad at 5 on 5 but got 2 PP goals. Eberle got some revenge at the end of the 2nd, after he was in the box for the 2-0 goal (both scored by Oshie). 2-1 end of 2. Lee fought both Carlson and later Wilson, because he'd collided with Backstrom early and Backstrom never returned to the game. Lee then got the tying goal less than a minute into the 3rd period. Bailey got the gwg on a nice SH play and Beauvillier got the insurance. Oshie looked better in net than Holtby, robbing Pageau on a goal mouth scramble, while Holtby was in the stands trying to buy a hot dog. Or something.

Game 2- hope Ross Johnston gets in and pummels Wilson.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:53 pm 
OTP Historian

That looked like an dirty play by Lee. He looked like he knew they were colliding, made no effort to get out of the way and put his shoulder into it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:00 pm 

Bosc wrote:
That looked like an dirty play by Lee. He looked like he knew they were colliding, made no effort to get out of the way and put his shoulder into it.

Just saw a replay and it does look worse the 2nd time around. Kind of looks like he put a little extra into setting a pick, and he looked truly surprised that Backstrom fell.

He "fought" both Carlson (they were called for roughing instead of fighting) and later Wilson. Ironic, considering Lee is the one who went after Wilson when he threw the late/high hit that ended Visnovsky's career. Those 2 against Wilson are 2 of only 13 fighting majors in Lee's career.

Hearing Backstrom's shoulder is injured. That sucks. I hope he heals quickly. Never want to see anyone get hurt. Except maybe Wilson.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:27 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:

Just saw a replay and it does look worse the 2nd time around. Kind of looks like he put a little extra into setting a pick, and he looked truly surprised that Backstrom fell.

I remember a guy doing that to me in men's league. I didn't see him, didn't expect it, he put his shoulder into me and I went down. I was like "What the fuck man, why would you put your shoulder in like that?" "I didn't think you'd fall down".

I can't imagine all 6'3", 230lbs of Lee doing that. Fuck...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:06 am 

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:

I remember a guy doing that to me in men's league. I didn't see him, didn't expect it, he put his shoulder into me and I went down. I was like "What the fuck man, why would you put your shoulder in like that?" "I didn't think you'd fall down".

It's one thing to do it in beer league. Another in the NHL. Hearing the Caps say it was a "predatory hit" is really amusing. They have employed Tom Wilson for years.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:22 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:

It's one thing to do it in beer league. Another in the NHL. Hearing the Caps say it was a "predatory hit" is really amusing. They have employed Tom Wilson for years.

They'd know one of they saw it, then :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:49 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Yes, that was a dirty hit.

Also yes, fuck the Caps.

But I do kinda feel bad for Backstrom. Unlike Tom Wilson, I actually like him.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:47 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Yes, that was a dirty hit.

Also yes, fuck the Caps.

But I do kinda feel bad for Backstrom. Unlike Tom Wilson, I actually like him.

Agreed all around.

Seeing Caps fans call the Isles dirty is pretty ironic though. Seems like most of them jumped on the bandwagon long after Dale Hunter took out Pierre Turgeon after his series clinching goal in 93 (stealing Hunter's weak pass attempt). And they all claim that Wilson's hit on Visnovsky was "perfectly clean", despite Brooks Laich calling it a "good penalty to take", adding that it dropped the Isles to 5 D halfway through the game. So as much as Lee's properly called interference call was a penalty, calling him and the Isles in general "dirty" seems a bit much, especially from that fan base. Wilson and Gudas on the roster... Please.

Isles have already announced they'll have the same lineup tonight. I'd prefer to have Johnston in over Komarov or Martin. Martin isn't hitting like he used to and Komarov is good for at least 1 dumb penalty/game. He's really lucky that during his sin bin time in the last game happened to be when Ovi's controller came unplugged and the Isles got a shorty.

Here's to taking Game 2 "on the road". :beer:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:09 pm 

After a shitty week, I figured Ovi scoring in the opening minute was going to just prolong it. But, the Isles held on in a bit of a crazy game. 3 goals in 3:58 or something like that.
Matt Martin with a big goal early on, Leddy's first in a long time, Nelson with a great steal at the point for a breakaway on the game winner, then Clutterbuck had a rabbit foot goal, where Pageau's shot went off Clutterbuck's hand and in (but ruled a good goal after Washington started to challenge), and then Lee got the empty netter. Very Trotzian game, as the caps could barely get the puck out of their zone once the Isles had the lead.

Amusing note- I don't even remember why but Butch Goring had a bit of a rant and said "gimme a goddamn faceoff!". I think people all over NY immediately equated him with Bob Ueker in Major League. :lol:

Game 3- Sunday at noon.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:45 am 

In last night's game- Kuznetsov boarding Pageau, Hathaway boarding Greene, and Wilson elbowing Pulock in the head, were all way dirtier than anything Lee did to Backstrom in Game 1. Just had to throw that out there. :D

caps fans want Rierden fired immediately. And people say NYers are impatient and reactionary?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:54 am 
Big in Japan

Haven't had a chance to watch but I hear the defence, even Greene, getting a lot of accolades. Good division rivalry we have here.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:11 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Haven't had a chance to watch but I hear the defence, even Greene, getting a lot of accolades. Good division rivalry we have here.

Greene has been awesome, like all the D. They're not flashy or anything. They're just very well structured and have all bought in 100%. I don't see Boychuk getting back in unless someone else gets hurt.

the Trotz system may not be that fun to watch, but it's been working like a motherfucker. Last night when they had a 4-2 lead late in the third, they just took it deep into Washington's end and stayed there. Lee pinned it against the boards behind Holtby's net with like 4 minutes to go. I thought he was going to try to just stay there for 4 minutes. :lol: He killed at least 20 seconds before the caps could move it, and even then, they couldn't clear for a bit. If I had to put it to a song, The Clash's "Clampdown" would be it.

Game 3, noon eastern on Sunday. Having some family stop by to hang outside. I told my wife to tell them to not expect to see me 11:30- 3:00.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:39 pm 

Fucking Fuck Yeah! Barzal wins it in OT. Lee with the early goal, assisted by Pulock and birthday boy Adam Pelech. Barzal in OT from Eberle & Brassard. Eberle should be psyched, considering he was in the box when Kuznetsov scored the caps lone goal after he'd slashed Oshie.

Lee's goal was a perfect shot-pass by Pelech onto Lee's tape, through 2 defenders. Lee shouldn't have considered himself open but threw a little ass into the defender to gain the inches he needed to deflect the shot. The Isles are learning a lot.

After the game several Isles dropped playoff quote 28, "we know the close out game is the hardest to win".

Game 4, Tuesday at 8 PM Eastern. Woohoooo!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:37 am 

Quote:
Trotz has basically taken a black crayon and drawn a mustache on Reirden to mock him, then scribbled out any advantage the more talented Caps might have.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/b ... story.html

:haha:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:27 am 
Big in Japan

Damn, sick burn. The Isles have schooled their rivals every which way this series. I think the previous cup winners are at a disadvantage here, it's hard to get motivated for this silly playoff. We saw it with Rask, with the Pens and now the Caps. I reckon the Blues will be next.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:35 am 

E.L. wrote:
Damn, sick burn. The Isles have schooled their rivals every which way this series. I think the previous cup winners are at a disadvantage here, it's hard to get motivated for this silly playoff. We saw it with Rask, with the Pens and now the Caps. I reckon the Blues will be next.

Why don't you just piss in my coffee?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:16 am 

Game 4 tonight. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:35 am 
Big in Japan

Chris18 wrote:
E.L. wrote:

Why don't you just piss in my coffee?

Turns out I was wrong, the Bruins and Blues are playing well. The Isles are winning on their own merits!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:34 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Ovechkin definitely doesn't look like himself. The explosiveness that's usually in his game just isn't there. Is it possible he let himself get out of shape during the pause?

Anyway, Chris can throw all the random objects he wants in my general direction, but it's my preference that teams like the Isles, Coyotes, and Blue Jackets GTFO of the bubble. I can't stand watching hockey like this. I get why they're doing it, doesn't mean I find it entertaining. And I know full well that there are plenty of reasons to dislike the Bolts and Bruins and Caps as well, but I would still rather watch them play.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 19  Next