OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:08 am 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

Pokecheque wrote:
E.L. wrote:
I'm surprised Askarov hasn't made too many top tens, because I'm pretty sure one goalie starved team will take the plunge after the top 3 goes.

I think that'd be a mistake. And that's nothing against Askarov, but trying to build around a goalie almost never pays off. The Devils did it, but they, of course, had a generational talent who stayed at the top of his game for almost the entirety of his career. Montreal is a prime example of why you don't do it. Price was hands-down the best goalie in the league when he was in his prime, but injuries have largely reduced him to a shell of his former self. The Wings have bigger needs, especially if Zadina doesn't pan out as hoped.

Most mock drafts I've seen have a top three of Lafreniere/Byfield/Stutzle in various combinations, which allows the Red Wings the option of getting the top defenseman in this draft, or taking a top forward. Jamie Drysdale seems like the smart pick, but there's also Cole Perfetti, Marco Rossi, and Lucas Raymond, all with the potential to be elite forwards in the NHL.

I'm not suggesting that Detroit build the team around Askarov. I view as more of a significant piece in part of the rebuild. All the prospect raters seem to think that he is a possible generational or at least an All-Star calibre NHL goaltender. Does he come with risk? Of course, he does, but, so do the other prospects at #4. He seems the prospect with the greatest upside. For me, that makes him the best prospect left at any position. He also fits a significant need that currently exists with the Red Wings.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:24 am 
Big in Japan

A good team might land Lafreniere tonight at the lottery.

MIN: 1st or 9th
WPG: 1, 9 or 10
NYR: 1, 10 or 11
NAS: 1, 11 or 12
FLA: 1, 12 or 13
TOR: 1, 13 or 14
EDM: 1, 14 or 15
PIT: 1 or 15

I'm rooting for Winnipeg or Nashville. Good smaller markets that have drafted and developed well without lottery picks. Could use a bone.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:20 pm 
King of Men

You just know its going to be Toronto or Edmonton. :roll: If the hockey gods exist it should be Winnipeg.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:28 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I don't care too much, there's plenty of good (and bad) that can come of all the different choices.

I'd rather he not land in the division (which fucking means he will) but I don't care too much outside of that.

Suppose it's probably a good thing he isn't headed to Montreal because hoo boy would that have been one hell of a pressure cooker for him, and I still don't think Bergevin is a good GM.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:04 pm 
King of Men

Obviously I didn't understand that at all. Why were teams in the playoffs the only balls drafting first? That's just weird.

Anyway looks like Broadway bound. Rags with the first pick.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:18 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
Obviously I didn't understand that at all. Why were teams in the playoffs the only balls drafting first? That's just weird.

Anyway looks like Broadway bound. Rags with the first pick.

I don't think they wanted it this way, but that's what happens when you widen the possibilities of who gets that first overall pick to discourage tanking. I get that they wanted these qualifiers to be a sort of condensed version of the regular season all vying for a playoff spot. But it set up for a very strange and awkward scenario where we had to wait to figure out who gets first overall.

Where the league screwed up is in 2016 after Buffalo and Edmonton embarrassed the league with their blantant tank show for McDavid. Really, they could've just kept the rules the same because both teams proved you simply can't do that and expect to jump right back in a hurry. But they overreacted and now you're getting wildly erratic results.

Whatever. Rangers sure as hell don't deserve Lafrieniere, but it's not really about which team "deserves" him. If they can't make a winner out of him, Kakko, Panarin, Zibanejad, Fox, Trouba, and Shestyorkin, they should fire EVERYONE. And something tells me they'll find a way to fuck this up.

Personally I would've liked the Pens to end up with him. Seeing him line up alongside one of those centers would've been really fun to see. But I suppose watching Panarin do his thing might be similar.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:52 pm 
Big in Japan

Blech, the Rangers get a hand in their reload. They're actually kinda weak up the middle so I wonder if they're more interested in Byfield.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:48 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

E.L. wrote:
Blech, the Rangers get a hand in their reload. They're actually kinda weak up the middle so I wonder if they're more interested in Byfield.

I hope they do something off the charts that will royally piss off the fan base, who are currently gloating and being really annoying.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:41 am 
King of Men

Did any of you watch this live? I did and it was a bit bizarre....and no doubt has sparked conspiracy theories. It was also hokey as hell with Jamie asking the commissioner to verify the damn logo on the ball.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nhl/new ... tshgnjs5h3

Here is the full video...go to the 2 minute mark to watch the conspiracy unfold

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:35 pm 
Big in Japan

Coming Oct 6-7.

After Lafreniere to Manhattan, it's probably Stutzle/Byfield to LA and Ottawa, Perfetti to Detroit and then another good player to Ottawa. The mid to late first mock drafts are all over the place, so I'm expecting surprises and trades.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:32 am 
Big in Japan

Draft day is here!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:02 am 
Big in Japan

One guy to watch out for tonight: the awesomely named Hendrix Lapierre.

Concussions wiped out his 19-20 season, only it turns out he likely only had one concussion and in the process suffered a neck/spine injury that gave him concussion-like symptoms. OK, so he's not quite the picture of health, but so far he's looking great in the Q season and prior to last season was considered a lottery pick. He could be the wild card in the first round.

Considered to be an elite puck moving forward with smarts and skills.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:40 pm 
Big in Japan

Mostly going according to plan. Alexis, Byfield, Stutzle.

The only two good dmen went early.

Askarov to Nashville.

Perfetti and Rossi dropped. Winnipeg and Minnesota are pleased.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:11 pm 
Big in Japan

Toronto picks Amirov to the consternation of the OHL contingent.

Columbus went way off the board. Chicago reached a bit on Reichel.

Washington the perfect spot for Hendrix. He'll help their inevitable rebuild.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:55 pm 
Big in Japan

Very Canadian first round. Weird.

Canada - 19
Russia - 4
Germany - 2
Sweden - 2
USA - 2
Austria - 1
Finland - 1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:07 pm 
Big in Japan

Also a nice footnote to the round, the Sharks drafted Ozzy Wiesblatt (who sounds like an old deli owner) at 31. Because his mom is deaf, they did it in sign language too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:21 am 
King of Men

E.L. wrote:
Also a nice footnote to the round, the Sharks drafted Ozzy Wiesblatt (who sounds like an old deli owner) at 31. Because his mom is deaf, they did it in sign language too.

I wondered why they did that.....that's classy!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:57 pm 

Flames did real well. Traded back twice and still got their guy in Zary.

Toronto’s selection was super awkward. They ran outta time, ran Mitch Marner up to the podium, and then he smiled weirdly after announcing Amirov’s name. :lol: