OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 2:20 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Chris18 wrote:
Hog-Lander sounds way better.
It's definitely Hog-Lander. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:27 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

https://theathletic.com/1845528/2020/05 ... e-canucks/

This is a very, very interesting read. Drance doesn't pull punches on Benning or Weisbrod. Basically says that even though Brackett was in the room in 2016, Benning and Weisbrod were the ones who pushed hard for Juolevi. After that, the organization basically kicked those two out of the room and put Brackett in charge, and what followed was a hype campaign that painted him as a drafting wizard, and really, he for the most part lived up to the billing. Once Linden was forced out, Benning tried to take back some authority and Brackett demanded full autonomy (who could blame him).

Hang on folks...it's gonna be a bumpy ride.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:45 pm 

Don't know how much to look into these claims but there's rumblings that the Canucks are so enamored with Tyler Toffoli that they're considering moving Brock Boeser. I'd hope cooler heads would prevail but...you know what? Fuck it, I'm not a Canucks fan, let's see if the Avs can get him.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:25 pm 
Big in Japan

Benning shot down the Boeser rumour pretty fast, as he should.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:59 am 
OTP Historian

Like Av said, sometimes twitter is awesome. Love this meme, the response to the rumour about trading Boeser.

https://twitter.com/twolinepass/status/ ... 1242241026

Quote:
pettersson $9m
hughes $8m
boeser $5.875m
eriksson/sutter/pearson/roussel/beagle/myers/edler $32.13m
horvat $5.5m
someone who is good at hockey management please help me budget this. my cup window is dying

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:07 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Benning shot down the Boeser rumour pretty fast, as he should.
Sounds like it was more media speculation in light of the cap crunch Benning has created than a genuine tip that he was actively trying to move Boeser at this time. Time will tell. Something's gotta to give.

Contracts

Eriksson - $6M per through 2022.
Sutter - $4.375M per through 2021
Roussel - $3M per through 2022
Beagle - $3M per through 2022
Myers - $6M per through 2024
Ferland - $3.5M per through 2023
Lou - $3M per through 2022 (cap re-capture)
Spooner - $1M through 2021 (buyout)

RFA 2020-21
Virtanen
Motte
Gaudette
MacEwen
Stecher
Pettersson (2021)
Hughes (2021)
Demko
Rafferty
Joulevi

UFA 2020
Markstrom
Toffoli
Tanev
Leivo
Fantenberg

UFA 2021
Edler
Sutter
Pearson
Baertschi

Cap Space
$18 M 2020
$40.3 M 2021

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:33 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Per the Athletic, Ferland is "unfit to play" (not known if this is a recurrence of his concussion symptoms, which I believe it is, or the latest NHL/Canucks euphemisim for secondary exposure to someone with COVID-19; I had heard he drove over from Manitoba to join the team), Boeser is still with the team, and J. Rathbone still hasn't signed (bit of a concern there, and count me among those who can't wait to see this kid suit up) - Harvard isn't going to play any sports until at least January, and he seems intent on staying close to family.

Quote:
"Rathbone is in a unique situation, particularly considering the uncertainty he’s facing with Harvard’s season in doubt.

By all accounts, Rathbone is a smart kid — you have to be to go to Harvard — and he’s facing a crucial life decision with an unprecedented set of circumstances in front of him. It’s reasonable for him to want and take his time.

The Canucks aren’t exactly pressing, at the moment. They know how to do this, and sometimes a person needs space to make a big life decision. Anyway, the Canucks have made their pitch, sold Rathbone as best they could and have made a strong offer. They’re really playing the waiting game now."

I'd imagine the calculus he's doing is, Harvard won't resume play until January at the earliest; the Canucks won't need him unless there's a raft of injuries on the blueline and even then, he'd be behind Rafferty, perhaps Juolevi, et al; there's no AHL to be sent down to... What's the point? Where's the benefit to signing now, besides burning his first year on the ELC?

Quote:
On Day 1, from a media perspective, anyway, it was maybe a bit cumbersome and a bit unnerving. And yet, watching Elias Pettersson stay out late to absolutely tune pucks, pinging wrist shots loudly and dangerously off the posts, or watching Quinn Hughes flummox Tyler Myers while shimmying down the half-wall before hitting Chris Tanev with a perfect tape-to-tape cross-seam pass, or watching Brock Boeser destroy teammates in three-on-three puck battle drills down low, it was hard not to feel a bit grateful for the return of hockey.

Amen to that.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:30 pm 

He signed.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:17 pm 

And Ferland's back....

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/vancou ... -317459020

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:39 pm 
Old Man of the Post

According to Drance, Tuna, Zack MacEwen, Ferland, Sutter and Eriksson are the five forwards vying for the last two starting jerbs. I'm all for Mac and Ferland, assuming the latter is truly healthy, but expect that Green will go with Eriksson over Ferland. Sutter and Ferland have missed a few scrimmages as "Unfit to Play" and Tuna hasn't really impressed over the Big Fella.

Happy to see that Rathbone is on the prospects roster.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:58 pm 

TSN reporting that Ferland and Eriksson will be on the outside looking in and would likely need to wait for an injury to see game time action. Sutter probably has a job as he kills penalties and Green loves the shutdown line of Beagle, Sutter and Motte even though Eriksson is pretty responsible defensively as well. Hard to pass over on MacEwen who's had a solid camp and plays a much more physical game than Tuna.

Even though Virt has had a pretty underwhelming start here, he is a prorated 20 goal scorer from the regular season and is fast -- yet never seems to ever do himself any favors to gain the trust of Green on a consistent basis.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:15 pm 

I guess the one good thing about Virtanen not being the star he was projected to be is that he's a more cost-controlled asset, and only 23. He's worth keeping around as a good complementary forward on any given scoring line. But if some other team overrates his size/speed/skill, I'd flip him.

Of course, this is Jim Benning we're talking about--he's quite adept at taking any situation advantageous to him and squandering it.

BTW, I read that cap recapture is now a thing of the past, but does that mean the Canucks are still stuck with Luongo's cap hit? Because that's kinda bullshit.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:15 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
I guess the one good thing about Virtanen not being the star he was projected to be is that he's a more cost-controlled asset, and only 23. He's worth keeping around as a good complementary forward on any given scoring line. But if some other team overrates his size/speed/skill, I'd flip him.

Of course, this is Jim Benning we're talking about--he's quite adept at taking any situation advantageous to him and squandering it.

BTW, I read that cap recapture is now a thing of the past, but does that mean the Canucks are still stuck with Luongo's cap hit? Because that's kinda bullshit.
Yes cap recapture was done away with, except for Luongo's contract so the Canucks are stuck with the cap hit. But I think the Weber deal was cleared for Nashville. Hard to see the logic there.

I would flip Tuna at this point. He needs a fresh start and could be too low on the Canucks depth chart to get meaningful minutes. Like you say, he's a cost controlled asset and is a trade chip for a team that that still buys into his untapped potential. It's the same refrain every training camp with him. Of course Benning & Co. will screw it up. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:30 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
Yes cap recapture was done away with, except for Luongo's contract so the Canucks are stuck with the cap hit. But I think the Weber deal was cleared for Nashville. Hard to see the logic there.

I would flip Tuna at this point. He needs a fresh start and could be too low on the Canucks depth chart to get meaningful minutes. Like you say, he's a cost controlled asset and is a trade chip for a team that that still buys into his untapped potential. It's the same refrain every training camp with him. Of course Benning & Co. will screw it up. :roll:

Yeah, that's bullshit. This one should be scrubbed as well. The recapture penalty was a stupid idea to begin with, you shouldn't punish any teams for signing contracts that were perfectly legal under the previous CBA. It's the league's fault for not recognizing that teams would find ways to circumvent it. And Lou's deal didn't strike me nearly as egregious as some others (looking at you, Chicago).

Anyway, the unfortunate truth is that Benning has completely and totally mismanaged the Canucks' cap situation, so he has to hold onto as much young, cheap talent as he can. I wouldn't move Shotgun Jake unless there was a stupid offer on the table. He's a good-enough option to put virtually anywhere in the lineup. And he appears to be good for 20 goals or so, which isn't anything to scoff at.

I don't think a fresh start will yield anything more out of him, he's never going to be more than what he is. It just depends on if he feels the weight of expectations due to his draft status. Erik Johnson kinda had to leave St. Louis before he really blossomed as a player. But again, I just don't see another gear in Virtanen's game.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:42 am 

Yeah, I mean a player who can grind out 20 goals in a season is what it is. Good not great. It's certainly not easy to score 20 goals in this league. And knowing that 20 is the absolute ceiling for Virt given his work ethic, sort of says it all.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:13 pm 

Jake reminds me a lot of Andrew Ladd, a big guy with big expectations who didn't meet them, but still carved out a very respectable NHL career. Ladd was taken 4th overall in 2004, 2 spots higher than Buckshot Virt 10 years later. Never was a star in his own right but still put up really good numbers.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:56 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
Jake reminds me a lot of Andrew Ladd, a big guy with big expectations who didn't meet them, but still carved out a very respectable NHL career. Ladd was taken 4th overall in 2004, 2 spots higher than Buckshot Virt 10 years later. Never was a star in his own right but still put up really good numbers.

They should take Ladd! Let him play out his few remaining years in front of his home town fans! Sure he's making a fucking bloated salary, but who doesn't love an aging hometown guy coming back to town in his twilight years?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:00 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Yeah, I'd be thrilled if someone, anyone overpaid for Virtanen but Tommy has it right: if there ever was a way to snatch Defeat from the gaping open maw of Victory, by golly, GMJB will find that way!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:00 pm 
Old Man of the Post

I thought the Cannots outplayed the Jets but for 3 turnovers that turned into goals against...
  • The goaltending advantage of Markstrom over Stalock might be meaningless if Marky doesn't turn this around quickly...
  • Boeser's shot needs to be dialed in if they hope to have success.
  • The first few minutes of the 1st period looked really good... More of that with some scoring sprinkled in please...
  • Thank goodness Vancouver isn't playing against Hellabuck in this round... :argh:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:14 pm 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

Game on! Looking forward to good tilt. :viking:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next