OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:29 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

E.L. wrote:
Nick Schmaltz out for the season with a knee injury. This team cannot catch a break.

You gotta be fucking kidding me. The Hockey Gods want this team gone.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:19 pm 

Arizona could conceivably make it in if they win out and the Avs lose out (in regulation) but they're hanging by the thinnest of threads.

Devastating loss for them against the lowly Kings, made even worse when the guy basically carrying the team, Darcy Kuemper, had to leave the game after getting a stick jammed right in his eye. Apparently he's going to be okay though.

Cat Silverman had a post about cat-eye masks vs. traditional ones. The tradeoff is basically vision for protection. Should the league just flat-out ban cat-eye or maybe add some kind of clear plastic shielding to it...?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:26 am 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
Cat Silverman had a post about cat-eye masks vs. traditional ones. The tradeoff is basically vision for protection. Should the league just flat-out ban cat-eye or maybe add some kind of clear plastic shielding to it...?

I can't see clear plastic shielding standing up to shots. On the inside of the cage? Still probably dangerous but how's a goalie gonna clean that when it gets foggy?

I still wear a cat-eye but I think my eye holes are smaller than what's in the NHL. I don't think you can even buy masks with them in Canada anymore? I think they have to be CSA approved and cat-eye aren't. I got my replacement directly from the company that made them for Olie and a bunch of other mask companies.

http://www.otnycages.com/olie/

Quote:
** denotes – Cat Eye & Cheater cages are not CSA approved and WE ARE NOT PERMITTED TO SHIP THESE ITEMS WITHIN CANADA.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:27 pm 

It's still stunning that a puck somehow made its way through Ben Bishop's mask and knocked out one of his teeth. .

Yeah, I figured there has to be some real limitations with a plastic eye shield, otherwise they'd have them by now.

The last pro goalie I remember for sure having the more traditional cage mask was Vanbiesbrouck, though I'm sure there have been others since then, I just can't remember them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:06 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Bosc wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

I can't see clear plastic shielding standing up to shots. On the inside of the cage? Still probably dangerous but how's a goalie gonna clean that when it gets foggy?

I still wear a cat-eye but I think my eye holes are smaller than what's in the NHL. I don't think you can even buy masks with them in Canada anymore? I think they have to be CSA approved and cat-eye aren't. I got my replacement directly from the company that made them for Olie and a bunch of other mask companies.

Quote:
** denotes – Cat Eye & Cheater cages are not CSA approved and WE ARE NOT PERMITTED TO SHIP THESE ITEMS WITHIN CANADA.

Can't get them here either. A guy I play with has one (skates out, which makes it really frigging weird), and he had a goalie offer him $200 for it. It's beaten up, rusting at the welds... The goalie said he'd sand blast and re-paint it... Still, this dude wears it. Said he'll sell it when he retires from playing beer league, and give himself a nice retirement party with the money. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:07 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

Quote:

Can't get them here either. A guy I play with has one (skates out, which makes it really frigging weird), and he had a goalie offer him $200 for it. It's beaten up, rusting at the welds... The goalie said he'd sand blast and re-paint it... Still, this dude wears it. Said he'll sell it when he retires from playing beer league, and give himself a nice retirement party with the money. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:51 pm 

Interesting. Anyone know if you can get the "certified" cat-eye mask anywhere?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:39 am 
OTP Historian

If they're certified then should be able to find/ship. Looks like this is the site that sells OTNY's stuff in the US.

http://www.goaliecages.com/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:07 am 

Wow. I just searched a few sites and can find several non-certified options! I didn't even think you could buy them anymore. But I think you'd have trouble being allowed to wear it for a game. If the refs give a shit. Or if the goalie isn't good enough that the opposing team complains, trying to get them booted. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:14 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Wow. I just searched a few sites and can find several non-certified options! I didn't even think you could buy them anymore. But I think you'd have trouble being allowed to wear it for a game. If the refs give a shit. Or if the goalie isn't good enough that the opposing team complains, trying to get them booted. :lol:

Given that the leagues don't legislate eye protection, I doubt that they care all that much about cat-eye(mine and my older brother's aren't legal, can't remember what my younger bro's wearing). The refs probably don't care either. I'm still wearing 12", pre-2005 spec pads. I'm guessing that the only way the league mandates it is if the league can't get insurance without the rule.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:50 pm 

Man, I just don't get what Chayka's plan is. He really befuddles me, especially at the draft.

Defense-heavy draft in 2018, he reaches for the best center available at the time, a guy some didn't even have in the top ten. Not a MASSIVE reach, but Arizona has a history of overhyping center prospects and then dealing them away when they don't pan out. And you already know the next draft will be rich in high-end forward talent.

So, 2019 this year, plenty of forwards to choose from, they trade UP to take a defenseman. Why? Soderstrom is by all accounts a solid NHL prospect but from what I've read he's not mind-blowing. I think they've made comparisons to Anton Stralman. That's good, but not trade-up-to-get-him good. He likely would've fallen to their spot anyway.

Sometimes I just think Chayka makes so many deals much like a drug dealer launders money so you can't tell where anything is. At the end of the day Arizona still seems like a very mediocre team.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:54 pm 
Big in Japan

They're also surprisingly close to the cap, although that's before Hossa's LTIR and they don't have any major RFAs.

I think Galchenyuk is a goner as soon as the free agency dust settles. A UFA in a year they probably won't keep long-term, but can score 25-30 in the right situation so he's worth something now. Then again a team starved for offence shouldn't deal him, but Montreal did.

They also have an excess of defencemen and could deal one to add offence.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:07 pm 
Big in Japan

Archibald and Cousins non-tendered, so they're now UFAs. Shrug.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:28 pm 

Dvorak - Schmaltz - Kessel
Keller - Stepan - Hinostroza
Grabner - Soderberg - Fischer
Crouse - Richardson - Garland

Ekman-Larson - Demers
Chickenrun - Hjalmarsson
Goligoski - Oesterle

Raanta
Kuemper

I mean...it's a better team overall, and it should score more, but sure doesn't seem like a contender.

The key will be if they actually get a full season or close to it from Raanta. If they do and he plays well, they got a legitimate shot at the postseason.

If Ironman Kessel gets injured this year the Curse is real.

Also, I will never, ever get used to this image:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:52 am 
Big in Japan

:lol:

https://twitter.com/JRown32/status/1154 ... 22017?s=20

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:34 pm 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:

This reply wins.

https://twitter.com/kelvinchow74/status ... 4189042688

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:28 pm 
Big in Japan

Clayton Keller: 8 years/7.15M AAV.

RFA next season, given the logjam right now, the Coyotes decided to get their homework done early. Keller needs to improve on his 65 point total of two years ago to make this work, but a lot of that will come from the team improving.

Keller, Schmaltz, Dvorak, Ekman-Larsson, Chychrun are now locked up for a very long time, but there's room for another star or two, which they'll need. As it stands, that nucleus consists of a 1RW, 2C, 3C, 1LD, 2LD.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:40 pm 

https://www.thewrap.com/the-truth-behin ... e-theater/

So, I didn't know this until Kessel was on NHL Radio yesterday, but the whole silliness regarding Phil the Thrill's rather lonely home entertainment center was just the realtor's wife sticking a piece of furniture in there for showings. Phil said on the air that he never used that theatre once. I'll give him credit, you could tell he was annoyed by the question but he was a good sport about it nonetheless. :laugh:

Honestly, I'd LOVE a setup like this in my house. Wife would rather have the upstairs TV to herself anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:09 pm 
Big in Japan

"Annoyed but a good sport" pretty much sums up all of Kessel's interactions with people.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:44 pm 
Big in Japan

With the Seattle Kraken now a reality, I would expect the Arizona Coyotes, the easternmost team geographically in the Pacific, to slide over to the Central. They probably won't be happy about it, but A) they have no pull league-wise B) are sorta close-ish to Dallas and Denver

The Central is always going to be a timezone mess.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next