OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:34 am 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
https://www.nhl.com/avalanche/news/avalanche-2020-phase-3-training-camp-roster/c-317362712

Phase 3 Roster announced. There was speculation Colin Wilson and his groin would finally be good to go. Nope.

Just...can't get excited about this. This is gonna end up getting someone killed, or possibly suffer from heart/lung/neurological damage that ends their career. Not. Worth. It.

In total agreement, and these "unfit to play" announcements are just plain creepy.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:04 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Seriously. I'm "unfit to play". Is that because I'm fat, injured, ill, bad at hockey...? The list could go on.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:33 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Speaking of "unfit to play," Cale Makar joins the growing list, though I thought I read he briefly joined practice today.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:52 pm 

https://twitter.com/ryan_s_clark/status ... 2087145472

Quote:
#Avs forward Vladislav Kamenev had an appendectomy in late May/early June which limited him during the team's training camp and that factored in as to why he was left off the playoff roster, a source told The Athletic.

I don't think he's good enough for the NHL to begin with, but he's also had absolutely ROTTEN injury/health luck during his time in the league.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:47 pm 

Swiss club Lausanne announces they've signed current Avs defenseman Mark Barberio. This is pretty much the same way it went down with Sven Andrighetto, who was signed by ZSC before the end of last season.

I'll miss Barbs, but the writing was on the wall. Switzerland is one of the most beautiful places in the world to live, so I don't feel too bad that he gets to continue doing what he loves for decent coin and live in an idyllic setting.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:47 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
Swiss club Lausanne announces they've signed current Avs defenseman Mark Barberio. This is pretty much the same way it went down with Sven Andrighetto, who was signed by ZSC before the end of last season.

I'll miss Barbs, but the writing was on the wall. Switzerland is one of the most beautiful places in the world to live, so I don't feel too bad that he gets to continue doing what he loves for decent coin and live in an idyllic setting.

The NHL is the dream, but Switzerland is pretty sheltered from COVID and Europe should be in good shape this fall and next year. Better odds you'll collect that paycheque than hoping you get a starting gig + the US gets its shit together.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:49 pm 

First exhibition in the books, 3-2 win over the Wylde. Much like the others, a sloppy, penalty-ridden affair. Also, Sam Girard sat out and Cale Makar isn't quite 100% yet. Best get these out of the way quick before they start to count.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:41 am 

Well that was fun. Best finish of all the various games so far. Max with the game winner with 0.01 seconds remaining!

This is encouraging because the Avs were the better team almost all the way through this game, and this was without Cale Makar being 100%. I’ll take that against the defending champs any day.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:12 am 

Avs come up just a little short and end the Round Robin portion of this weird playoffs 2-0-1. Up against a very good Vegas team, they trailed 1-0, 2-1, and 3-2, and tied it up every time, and gave up the losing goal in OT with only seconds left. Despite playing their worst game since returning to action, they were still pretty damned good.

So because of this, they fall just short of the top seed in the West, so essentially they retained the seed that they would've been had this tournament not happened at all. But that's fine, because St. Louis has faltered thus far and may be 4th going into this thing.

Also, I realize seeding doesn't matter a ton, especially this crazy-ass tournament that's leaving things wide open for virtually everyone, but if nothing else, the Round Robin made certain the top teams wouldn't be entering the first round of the playoffs cold. Avs proved they're still one of the better teams in the league right now.

So far we haven't seen a ton of production from MacKinnon, and his frustration boiled over with an unsportsmanlike penalty (he kept jawing at the ref) that Vegas scored on. He at least made up for it with the game-tying goal later, but you can tell he's mad that his efforts aren't resulting in points. Guys like Makar and Rantanen look...off. Rantanen especially, but he's also missed a ton of time this year. Someone on Twitter mentioned that Mr. 0.01 himself, Nazem Kadri, has been the team's most consistent player so far, and I agree with that.

Anyway, we now know the Avs will enter the first round against the Glendale Coyotes, going up against old friend Carl Soderberg. That could be a tough matchup if indeed Taylor Hall has found his mojo again.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:06 pm 
Big in Japan

I would love to see the Avs and Knights meet in the playoffs. Has the potential to be a good rivalry.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:15 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

That's my WCF matchup from my bracket. Wouldn't that be awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:10 pm 

On a side note, the epic struggle between Kroenke Sports and Entertainment and two of the three major cable operators in the Denver Metro Area hasn't ended. At the beginning of this season it was impossible to watch the Avs (or Nuggets) on DirecTV, Dish, or Comcast, because there was no contract in place and those companies were trying to either snuff Altitude out entirely, or force them to sell to a RSN conglomerate (some of which those companies actually own). The impasse ended with DirecTV and Altitude, so thankfully I got to see a bunch of games, but it hasn't ended with Dish or Comcast, and the latter is a huge deal because they're the biggest provider in the region.

This was going to lead to playoff games being blacked out IN DENVER because Altitude held exclusive rights to the first round of games. They announced today that they waived those rights, so now everyone can watch the national broadcast. This is huge news for fans of both teams, both of which stand to make some waves in the postseason.

It'd be a real shame if Altitude ultimately goes away, though I feel the creation of an Avalanche/Nuggets station might have been a mistake to begin with. Fox Sports held the rights for years, I don't recall it being a problem. But Altitude gave us both Laurens Gardner and Jbara, so that right there makes it worth it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:11 pm 
King of Men

Pokecheque wrote:
But Altitude gave us Lauren Jbara, so that right there makes it worth it.

Yew!

:dance:

IMO this is the team to beat...what we didn't see all year was a healthy full power Avs team and they still managed to be good.

If Nathan leads the way the hope is they follow. Danskoi is a f'n beast. Decent speed, creative hands and the willingness to get dirty in the corners...what's not to like about that guy.

Kadri looks like he may stop being a suspended douche during the playoffs (still early).

The 3rd and 4th lines are solid/gritty and the D corps is as well. All anchored by a superb tandem in Grubauer and Francousz. Be scared Western Conference!

About the only things that give me pause are Tyson Jost, Sam Girard and the soft play of Burakovsky but that's minor.

All though it has not impacted me, this TV bickering is a shame because they would be raking in local fans at this point. And even more people could get to enjoy Lauren and her made for TV hair!

I'll let this describe the Avs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7-tskP0OzI

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:21 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:
But Altitude gave us Lauren Jbara, so that right there makes it worth it.

:dance:

IMO this is the team to beat...what we didn't see all year was a healthy full power Avs team and they still managed to be good.

If Nathan leads the way the hope is they follow. Danskoi is a f'n beast. Decent speed, creative hands and the willingness to get dirty in the corners...what's not to like about that guy.

Kadri looks like he may stop being a suspended douche during the playoffs (still early).

The 3rd and 4th lines are solid/gritty and the D corps is as well. All anchored by a superb tandem in Grubauer and Francousz. Be scared Western Conference!

About the only things that give me pause are Tyson Jost, Sam Girard and the soft play of Burakovsky but that's minor.

All though it has not impacted me, this TV bickering is a shame because they would be raking in local fans at this point. And even more people could get to enjoy Lauren and her made for TV hair!

I'll let this describe the Avs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7-tskP0OzI

I see you carefully edited out Lauren Gardner. For shame! The former Broncos Cheerleader turned Altitude host, and now NHL/MLB Network star is still tops.

Jost is being treated as the 13th forward right now. Bednar appears to be more comfortable with Nieto right now at that 4th line LW spot, and I don't blame him. I'd be fairly surprised if the Last Tyson Standing was still in Colorado after this season. Has plenty of talent, hockey smarts, work ethic, and attitude, but his lack of size and pedestrian skating have severely blunted his development in the pros.

Sam Girard will thrive so long as Erik Johnson continues to play the way he has. He's on his last legs and it shows, but the pause did him a ton of good. He's looking refreshed and able to contribute to the play, whereas before he was lagging a bit. Sammy needs him to be like that to take some of the pressure off.

My biggest concern right now is Cale Makar. Dude hasn't looked quite right thus far, and missed some camp/playing time with an undisclosed injury. He's been good but nowhere near the tour de force he was during the regular season. I hope he's good to go in this upcoming rounds.

Sure as hell also hope that this doesn't turn into a big grindfest with Kuemper shutting the Avs out for four games. That would suck.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:48 pm 

Well...it was an EXTREMELY frustrating and disappointing end to the Avalanche season in Game 7 against the Stars, but overall this was a fantastic run in a weird, wild year-plus.

Avs absolutely had no fucking luck when it came to injuries this year. Lost both top line wings and had to go with a surprisingly effective top trio of Matt Calvert, Nathan MacKinnon, and Joonas Donskoi (that was one instance where they actually were quite lucky for a time that two depth wingers went on a long scoring bender). That bad luck continued once the second round started. Jared Bednar revealed that it was highly unlikely all but one of the seven injured players the Avs had on the shelf in the 2nd round would have been ready for the Conference Final.

So the Avs don't have to do anything major this offseason. I have questions about the goaltending after what happened in the playoffs, but Sakic has one more year of Grubauer and three more years of Francouz so I assume we have one more season of each of them before Colorado has to make some decisions.

It feels like a waste because cap-wise, the Avs have the best situation in the league with a legit superstar in Nathan MacKinnon signed to an insanely cheap deal, and a great value contract in Nazem Kadri as well. This is an ideal window, so a lot of fans feel like they gotta go BIG now before those contract expire and Colorado's cap situation becomes decidedly more murky. But I'm fine if they don't go full stupid and cripple themselves financially the same way Chicago and Los Angeles have...perhaps I'm naive but I don't think you have to just WRECK your future in order to win Cups now. Perhaps I'm wrong...only time will tell.

They could simply add from within and be okay--they could conceivably do the bare minimum and be fine. I'd still like for them to find a good third-line center and possibly a good defender to push Ryan Graves down the lineup until Bowen Byram is ready...but really, I think this is a phenomenal team as is. They just need to get a goddamned break from the Hockey Gods and stay healthy this time around.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:53 pm 

Probably the biggest decision looming for Sakic and Bednar is whether or not Ray Bennett should stay. The special teams were...not good this season, and frankly when a team is this talented and they fail as spectacularly as they did in the postseason on the power play and penalty kill, questions need to be asked. Don't know if that means Bennett HAS to get fired, but they need to take a very different approach.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:48 pm 
Big in Japan

Nichuchkin finished 8th in Selke voting!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:49 pm 

E.L. wrote:

It's funny how divided the stats community is on this. A couple of them don't think he should even be in the top 200, a few of them think he should've won it outright. Hard to say really--he was brought on as almost an afterthought and then very quickly climbed up the ranks and became an integral piece of the Avs' puzzle.

I'm glad he got some love though. I'm even more weirded out that Nathan MacKinnon finished higher in the vote than Gabriel Landeskog!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:16 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
E.L. wrote:

It's funny how divided the stats community is on this. A couple of them don't think he should even be in the top 200, a few of them think he should've won it outright. Hard to say really--he was brought on as almost an afterthought and then very quickly climbed up the ranks and became an integral piece of the Avs' puzzle.

I'm glad he got some love though. I'm even more weirded out that Nathan MacKinnon finished higher in the vote than Gabriel Landeskog!

Chooch's an RFA with Arby's rights. Lanche have plenty of cap room. You think they'll sign him long-term, short-term or shop him?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:42 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Chooch's an RFA with Arby's rights. Lanche have plenty of cap room. You think they'll sign him long-term, short-term or shop him?

Really depends on what his demands are. It's clear he's a tremendous defensive forward with size who occasionally shows up on the scoreboard, but is really meant to be a third line guy. If he's asking for an exorbitant sum

Now what's exorbitant? I really can't say. Overall he's a better player than J.T. Compher, who's currently making $3.5 million AAV. But Compher is generally going to score more, so...there's no easy answer here. I'm guessing Sakic wants to do a short-term deal that kicks the can a little further down the road, but I imagine Nuke wants something that offers a little more security.

I think Avs fans who think Sakic is going big in free agency are going to be disappointed. One, it's not his style, and two, the Avs' cap situation is not as rosy as some make it out to be. Come 2021 the Avs have to start thinking about new contracts for Landeskog and Makar, and then after that you're looking at a significant raise for one Mr. MacKinnon.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next