OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: ROOTbeer Hockey
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:02 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Seasons are over. Both kids' teams went to their tournament finals, and lost. In the case of Miss18.1, it was a huge bummer because it was the Tier 2 NYS Championship tournament, and the team she joined had won it the year before. We just ran into an unbeatable goalie. The winning team literally played the entire tournament without giving up a goal. 5 games. Much respect to them.
Miss18.2's team was in a lower bracket of the CT league, but making the Finals was awesome for them. A bunch of kids had never played hockey before, and they really worked hard all year to get there. Lost the Finals 3-2 but had a blast anyway.

So now, it's time to clean the cars. It's amazing what you find under the seats and between cushions after 6 months of travel hockey.

I don't think I've ever posted this here, so now I will. I send it to our team parents every year. Canadians- substitute Timmy's for Dunkin.

You know you're a hockey parent when...

...you ask the dealer how many hockey bags the SUV can hold, and where sticks would go. Also what size Dunkin cup can fit. If it has heated seats, you cry just a little and hug the salesperson.
...you can't lease that new SUV no matter how good a deal, because "travel hockey miles" will put you over the annual mile limit for sure. And you’re already on a tight budget because new skates are on the horizon.

…within a short time, that new SUV has more goldfish in the backseat than most aquarium stores have in their tanks.
...the first thing you pack for a tournament hotel stay is Febreze. Next might be booze. Then more booze. Then maybe more Febreze.
...you know where every Dunkin is for a 100-mile radius.
...you keep handwarmers in the car at all times.
...you don't know what to do with free time on weekends when for some reason, games are canceled. You spend most of those days looking out the window yelling "we've played in worse!"
...you know at least 12 refs by name. And where they park.
...you ground your kids for bad grades, bad behavior, etc... "except practice. You're going to practice!"
...you've had to replace garage door panels and/or windows.
...someone complains about buying their kid $150 cleats and you laugh and say, "that's almost free!"
...you can't make any plans without checking the team schedule(s). Or better yet, you just tell them "talk to me in late March. Shoot. Wait. Spring league..."
...you bought your kid a new $200 stick because their previous one "was out of goals".
...you know well in advance that Dec 26-29 is going to be spent in a hotel and a rink.
...you buy pants based on how long you think it will take aluminum bleachers to suck the heat out of your ass through them.
...you cherish fleece or flannel lined jeans like they are loved ones. Maybe more than some loved ones. You get to choose the pants!
...as cold as you may be, you lost all respect for the guy bragging about his heated vest.
...people buy you hunting or skiing clothing, when you don't hunt or ski. "Just to keep warm at the rink"
...you've yelled something you're ashamed of, at least once.
...when looking at a potential new house, you estimate how big of a rink you could fit in the yard and try to determine where you would dry the kids' gear. Also how often you'll have to paint the wall by the front door.
...you know obscure landmarks because " ohhh, that's on the way to _______ rink".
...when people complain about how much time their kid's sport takes up, and you just smile and nod, thinking what you'd do with all that free time.
...you really do need more cowbell, even if the league says you can't use one.
...every time you see someone in thick, square glasses, you think of the Hanson Brothers and wonder if your kids are old enough to see Slap Shot. Or, if you should watch it with them again.
...a "family vacation" is to either a tournament or hockey camp.
...you know off the top of your head which hotels have an indoor pool. And a bar.
...you tell your kids' ages by "mite, squirt, peewee..."
...you think of the annual seasons as "hockey camp, pre-season, mid-season, and tournament".
...you can tie skate laces tight enough to turn toes purple.
...you plan your summer vacation around the local hockey store's annual pre-season sale. "We can't be away that weekend! It's 20% off everything."
...you never put your kids in "timeout", but you give out 2 minute minors, 5 minute majors, game misconducts and suspensions of various days.
...now & then you'll even drink "rink coffee", because it's relatively hot and probably has caffeine in it.
...you have a crock pot so you can return from away games to a home cooked meal.
...you're in a Facebook group to get crock pot recipes, which probably has "Hockey Mom" in the title.
...you find pucks in random places around your house.
...you find uses for the pucks found in random places.
...you've been given at least one mug that says something like "You don't scare me, I'm a hockey mom!"
...somehow, you've gotten used to the smell of the kids' equipment. You don't want to admit it. But you have. Stop lying. You really have. The first step toward a cure is admitting the problem...
...old appliances don't get thrown out until they've spent some time in the driveway as a goalie.
...you find pucks when mowing the lawn.
...you pretend to drop your gloves before telling your kids to do their damned homework, clean their damned room, eat their damned broccoli...
...you know that when you mess with one duck, you mess with ALL ducks.
...you've actually put on the foil, just to see how it felt.
...you've yelled "Shit! Gotta get the skates sharpened!" at random times throughout your workday, scaring the hell out of your sane coworkers.
...you've got a Yeti mug in your car September-March.
...you've yelled things like "hey ref, check your phone. You've missed at least 3 calls!" Or perhaps "hey ref, good thing you didn't blow your whistle there. We wouldn't want your seeing eye dog to run out onto the ice and get hurt."
...you know what year your kid will be "draft eligible", and have tried to project that year's draft order.
...you've Photoshopped your kids head on to all NHL or NWHL team jerseys, to figure out where they'd look best.

...you know that the majority of these are meant purely for entertainment, and you'd never do them, such as heckling refs. Riiiight?

...you know your kid plays the best damned game there is, and even though you get crazy sometimes, you're proud of the way they play.

Feel free to send any you think of to me. I like to add to this.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:43 am 
OTP Historian

Bro's Novice(2010) son Jake, a goalie, got some nice words from Dan Cloutier after his son's team beat Jake's in the OMHA AAA finals(basically the provincial finals for the highest level for that birth year). Jake's team hadn't been able to beat them(Oakville) all season long, then beat them in the round robin tournament 3-1 on Saturday to meet them for the gold medal but couldn't pull it out.

Cloutier's kid is really frigging good.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:51 am 

Bosc wrote:
Bro's Novice(2010) son Jake, a goalie, got some nice words from Dan Cloutier after his son's team beat Jake's in the OMHA AAA finals(basically the provincial finals for the highest level for that birth year). Jake's team hadn't been able to beat them(Oakville) all season long, then beat them in the round robin tournament 3-1 on Saturday to meet them for the gold medal but couldn't pull it out.

Cloutier's kid is really frigging good.

Shame they couldn't pull out the big win, but that's still really cool to make it and have a former NHLer compliment him.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:23 pm 

C19 is causing havoc for youth sports too. Not allowed to have tryouts but we're supposed to pick teams. Uh, wha?
Weren't allowed to open registration for the longest time, and now they say open up and offer contracts to kids you really want. Like, what if you've never seen the kid play?

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:06 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
C19 is causing havoc for youth sports too. Not allowed to have tryouts but we're supposed to pick teams. Uh, wha?
Weren't allowed to open registration for the longest time, and now they say open up and offer contracts to kids you really want. Like, what if you've never seen the kid play?

Well everyone is in the same boat together. I'd guess I'd call parents if you're allowed. See if you can at least figure out which parents will have the least PITA factor.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:10 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:

You mean you don't have next year's team selected by November like they do here?

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:11 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Well everyone is in the same boat together. I'd guess I'd call parents if you're allowed. See if you can at least figure out which parents will have the least PITA factor.

That's a plan I had thought of, but we're changing orgs so I don't really know anybody. Trying to get at least 1 other coach to join me since I know we work very well together and her kid is easy to get along with as well. But time will tell.
A whole new team of people though... High potential for crazies! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:44 pm 
King of the One-Liner

My Son started house league games this last week. Three on three with 9 skaters and a goalie per team come to rink as fully dressed as possible and mask stays on till helmet goes on.

My son is a really chill kid so he is doing okay but already seen two other goalies show a temper as they are not used to how much more difficult goaltending is in three on three, might have helped that I warned my son about the influx of open ice means breakaways, odd man rushes, and second chance plays.

Hockey parents seem to have a greater number of the Covid oblivious. We just had another warning e-mail stating that one parent per kid at rink as tons of families are ignoring this and last game saw multiple couples together in attendance, one family brought out the two sibling who where happy to run around the stands and halls with there chin diapers not covering their face. Not to mention the adults who seem to think the mask does not have to go over their nose. I ended up standing by the glass in the corner to get away from it all even though we are told not to be anywhere but the spectator area but fuck that too many of those people are idiots.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:50 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
My Son started house league games this last week. Three on three with 9 skaters and a goalie per team come to rink as fully dressed as possible and mask stays on till helmet goes on.

My son is a really chill kid so he is doing okay but already seen two other goalies show a temper as they are not used to how much more difficult goaltending is in three on three, might have helped that I warned my son about the influx of open ice means breakaways, odd man rushes, and second chance plays.

Hockey parents seem to have a greater number of the Covid oblivious. We just had another warning e-mail stating that one parent per kid at rink as tons of families are ignoring this and last game saw multiple couples together in attendance, one family brought out the two sibling who where happy to run around the stands and halls with there chin diapers not covering their face. Not to mention the adults who seem to think the mask does not have to go over their nose. I ended up standing by the glass in the corner to get away from it all even though we are told not to be anywhere but the spectator area but fuck that too many of those people are idiots.

Same BS here with the siblings and chin diapers. Now the states are not allowing interstate travel games. Ma teams play Ma teams, Ct teams play Ct teams... NY still isn't allowing games at all, so our plan of traveling to the other states is now shot and we're still not allowed to play. Sucks but it's largely due to these covidiots. I'm not sure if I'm pissed to hear people all over are that dumb, or if I'm kinda relieved it isn't just idiots around here.

Hopefully they all get their heads out of their asses and wear the damn mask. Better a mask than a toe tag!

And good on you for preparing your son for the increased odd-man rushes and such.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:10 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
So much for luck. Got thrown out of a game & getting my first ever suspension. Complete psycho ref. Missed a blatant charge, fight ensued, parents yelled. ref yelled back & tried to clear all our parents/spectators from building. Ran clock to try & make them move out... I explained that's a violation of USA Hockey rules, not to mention being like Communist China. Ref flipped. I stayed very calm, but continued to make my case that the ref was in clear violation of rules. Tossed, which brings "automatic" 1 game suspension. Appealing.

I volunteer for this. And I'm writing this while watching yet another cash grab, USA Hockey "age specific" coaching module. Module is for mites, and I'm in the middle of a 45 minute section- on drug & alcohol abuse. Mites. Yep. Total boozers...

Had this ref the other day again. As soon as she stepped onto the ice I said "ohhhhhhh fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck." Told the story to the other coaches who know me well, but seemed to kind of believe me. 7 minutes into the game a shot gets rung off Miss18.2's forehead (she was in as emergency goalie), she dropped to cover the puck and didn't get up. Psycho ref turned toward our bench and waved me over, or so I thought. I was just past the blueline when she screamed at me to get back on the bench.
"WHAT?"
"Get back on your bench."
"YOU waved me over! My kid is face down an"
"She's fine! She just can't get up."
(half laughing) "Well she isn't really a goalie an"
"GET OFF MY ICE!"
"Listen psycho, we've been through the ringer before you and I, so just relax. I was going to check on my kid an"
"GET OFF! She's fine."
"Ref, I know that now, but I didn't before. You waved me over."
"I waved over your other PLAYERS to help her up."
"Ahhh yes, I should have understood that from the total silence and waving toward our bench. Good to see you're still a great communicator. At least you haven't cursed at our bench yet. YET." And I left the ice with her looking like "who is THIS guy?"
Other ref obviously took the bench side for a while. They have these new "whistles" that don't require blowing (covid) but are push button/battery operated. I asked him "does that have a taser setting?" while pointing at his partner. He chuckled.

Later on we took a penalty. No biggie. Tripping. Faceoff in our zone and she sends a player off to our bench. I couldn't see the boards so I assumed we had 5 on the ice when she told this player to leave. I was muttering about the remaining forward staying along the boards when she dropped the puck and I counted 3 of our players. Sent someone on.... Then at the next whistle I asked why she sent my other player off. Said she didn't send anyone off. I ask what she was pointing at. Says she never did any such thing. I laughed and said "there's LiveBarn here you know. I'll pull the video for review." She then tried to ignore me, so I pressed "did you not count before dropping the puck after you totally didn't send anyone off and never pointed anywhere near our bench? And why on Earth would you drop the puck when my player who you didn't send off was clearly offside, being behind their points?" No reply. So I said to the other ref "you're hearing all of this, right?" He gave me the "pipe down now" look, so I did.

We had this lunatic for another game a few years ago, in a tournament. We were up 6-0 in the 2nd, faceoff in the o-zone. Center goes to dot and the ref says "timeout?"
Center "Timeout?"
Psycho ref "Timeout! Totally classless to call it while you're up 6-0."
Me "I agree, but we DIDN'T call timeout."
Ref "YOU CALLED TIMEOUT! RIDICULOUS!"
Me "I DIDN'T CALL TIMEOUT, BECAUSE 1. I HAVE CLASS AND 2. THIS IS THE OPENING ROUND OF A TOURNAMENT AND TIMEOUTS AREN'T ALLOWED. KNOW THE RULES. I DO."
Ref- "want a bench minor?"
Me- "for you? Sure." Then I yelled down to the other team "We did NOT call this! It's simply a clerical error. No disrespect meant!"

After that game the opposing coaches agreed she's insane and her ref partner said he'd heard she's a "fucking psycho" from other refs but had never worked with her before.

Sad thing is, USA Hockey is THAT desperate for refs, that idiots like this keep getting games.

I have no idea how many games I've coached/watched but I've had real problems with a ref 3 times- all 3 were her.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:26 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Great story Chris - hilarious, nearly fell off my chair. I have this image of her being like mid-forties and still holding onto being house league ref. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:45 am 

Logical Progression wrote:
Great story Chris - hilarious, nearly fell off my chair. I have this image of her being like mid-forties and still holding onto being house league ref. :lol:

I think she's in her 50s, or maybe she just looks older from all the undue stress she puts on herself. I've had conversations with a few other refs over the years about her. Everyone agrees she's psycho. One told me that at a meeting for all refs in the CT league they had a sign in sheet, which was attached to her personal clip board. She asked one ref where it was, he didn't know, so she stood up on a table (in a hotel conference room) and bellowed "where's my fucking clip board? Get it to me NOWWWWWW!" She clearly has anger issues and I don't understand how she's allowed to ref kids' games. But alas, USA Hockey keeps saying they have a real ref shortage, so looneys like her are in regular rotation. I am almost glad we're not allowed to play in CT any time soon so I don't have to worry about seeing her.

She's like 90 lbs of pure anger.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:50 am 
OTP Historian

Thats insane :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:43 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Thats insane :shock:

Thanks. I mainly posted it for a reality check. :lol:

I would love to somehow hear her side to all 3 stories. And the other stories I've heard about her.
"I was off my medication this one day, and..."
"This other day I was self medicating and..."
"These coaches are crazy. They think they can have 4 players on the ice when they're down 1."
:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:57 pm 
King of the One-Liner

With the new restrictions for us starting Monday no spectators for Minor Hockey, get your kid in the rink 15 minutes before game and then you get out of Arena till they are done.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:31 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
With the new restrictions for us starting Monday no spectators for Minor Hockey, get your kid in the rink 15 minutes before game and then you get out of Arena till they are done.

Unfortunate but better than the alternative of multiple family members showing up instead of the one allowance, and better than them shutting it all down.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:26 pm 

I have to say, as a coach I love the parents being booted for games. :lol: Too many try to coach from the stands, yell wrong instructions ("shoooooooot!" when there's no shot), and just generally try to make themselves more important than they are. Not all, but some, and any is too many.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:19 am 
OTP Historian

My brother has been playing pickup and his kids are playing too. He said that some parents have brought a sibling to the rink but they aren't running around.

His pickup had a misunderstanding where they thought they had full dressing room use, got booted to the parking lot to get dressed and before they were even back in they had gotten an email from the town about it with the town acknowledging that they weren't doing it purposely. They've gotten a couple of emails about a couple of teams not following the rules. The town is taking it seriously, which is good to hear.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:28 am 

Bosc wrote:
My brother has been playing pickup and his kids are playing too. He said that some parents have brought a sibling to the rink but they aren't running around.

His pickup had a misunderstanding where they thought they had full dressing room use, got booted to the parking lot to get dressed and before they were even back in they had gotten an email from the town about it with the town acknowledging that they weren't doing it purposely. They've gotten a couple of emails about a couple of teams not following the rules. The town is taking it seriously, which is good to hear.

We have such varying rules it's crazy. Every rink has its own set! One rink said use locker rooms- just socially distance. They had 6' markers on the benches, and had some markers on the floor in the middle of the room as well so you could fit an entire team- if some kids were willing to dress standing up.

Another rink makes teams dress in the arena area. So there was my team of 12U girls, getting ready for our game, and the 18U boys from the previous game came at sat one bleacher section over from us and started getting down to their drawers. Never mind that they were panting like dogs in August after their game...

Some rinks require masks during play, some say none, others say for faceoffs only.

The lack of standards is annoying and I wouldn't be surprised if C19 is spreading more because of it. We've had it go through a few teams in our rink. Always seems to start with the coaches; many of whom refuse to wear masks. Coach tests positive, and then it's a domino effect going to players and families. I've got players who have siblings on infected teams, so they're quarantined.

I haven't played in like 10 months now. Just can't get to the rink for 10 PM games that are not really games...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:12 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Our league just announce they are still now allowed one parent per kid at games again after they relooked at the restrictions.

Yeah we have heard about other adult pick up hours getting warnings about spitting on the bench. Glad I am a goalie as spitting disgust me and if that is a common activity on the bench good thing I am not on it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next