OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:45 pm 

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
While I would love to see a return to hockey, I can't see them playing in empty arenas. So much of the local revenue for the owners is ticket sales and related revenue. The TV broadcast revenue is fixed, and it's not like football or basketball where the TV revenues are huge by comparison.

With so many stay at homes there is an opportunity to capture new fans. Can approach the NHLPA about reduced salaries and work with profit sharing (would require a level of co-operation never seen before). Its special times, means different approaches. I can't see the NHL or the players preferring to be shut down for 24 months just because they can't get ticket sales.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:34 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Fogghorn wrote:
the Cunning Linguist wrote:
While I would love to see a return to hockey, I can't see them playing in empty arenas. So much of the local revenue for the owners is ticket sales and related revenue. The TV broadcast revenue is fixed, and it's not like football or basketball where the TV revenues are huge by comparison.

With so many stay at homes there is an opportunity to capture new fans. Can approach the NHLPA about reduced salaries and work with profit sharing (would require a level of co-operation never seen before). Its special times, means different approaches. I can't see the NHL or the players preferring to be shut down for 24 months just because they can't get ticket sales.

Yep. And with empty arenas, you know more people will watch at home, meaning better ratings and therefore higher advertising value/incomes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:59 am 

Think the NHL & PA will use this time to sort out the next CBA? They fucking should. Probably not though. Too logical. Instead, let's sit around waiting to sit around and wait during another lockout! Woohooooooo!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:40 pm 
Big in Japan

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/290 ... ssion=true

The league is dropping the neutral site idea and considering playing in four league arenas in less infected zones: Minny, Edmo, Carolina and somewhere East.

They really want to play. Good luck with that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:53 pm 

E.L. wrote:
https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/29083478/sources-nhl-no-longer-considering-neutral-sites?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

The league is dropping the neutral site idea and considering playing in four league arenas in less infected zones: Minny, Edmo, Carolina and somewhere East.

They really want to play. Good luck with that.

I'd love to have live games to watch. MSG are replaying games from earlier this year but I just can't watch games that I know the outcome.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 11:49 pm 
Big in Japan

Sounds like the players are not enthused about the possibility of being separated from their families so they can continue the season in isolation elsewhere.

So on to the draft, maybe?

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 8:12 am 

E.L. wrote:
Sounds like the players are not enthused about the possibility of being separated from their families so they can continue the season in isolation elsewhere.

So on to the draft, maybe?

As much as I get the players' side, they need to think a whopping one year ahead as well. The next CBA negotiation, aka Looming Lockout, isn't far away. If they don't make some concessions for this season, they'll be in yet another NHL only lockdown. The owners profit from games being played, but they also all have the money to sit back during another lockout. Players only have so many years to collect those huge checks.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 8:47 pm 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... d-covid-19

its soccer but kinda relevant for any sports league considering playing without fans. What do you do when a couple team mates have Covid-19? Dresdan has put all players and personnel in quarantine for 14 days. That seems reasonable to me. However how does a sports league do scheduling under such circumstances? How would you do playoffs in the NHL when at any given moment a team might be completely sidelined for two weeks.

I thought this would be manageable now I'm having doubts. On the other hand if you're an all American league like NFL or MLB then play on, Trump thinks everyone should work despite the risks.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 7:16 am 

Fogghorn wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/may/09/bundesliga-restart-blow-dynamo-dresden-team-quarantined-covid-19

its soccer but kinda relevant for any sports league considering playing without fans. What do you do when a couple team mates have Covid-19? Dresdan has put all players and personnel in quarantine for 14 days. That seems reasonable to me. However how does a sports league do scheduling under such circumstances? How would you do playoffs in the NHL when at any given moment a team might be completely sidelined for two weeks.

I thought this would be manageable now I'm having doubts. On the other hand if you're an all American league like NFL or MLB then play on, Trump thinks everyone should work despite the risks.

Covid-19 forfeit? Could you imagine if that became a thing?

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 4:42 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

The longer this goes on the more doubts I have that it could be feasible.

The AHL also officially threw in the towel, which means the NHL is the only hockey league left that hasn't canceled.

Even if they do cancel at this point, I can't help but wonder if they can even start NEXT season on time.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 5:12 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
Even if they do cancel at this point, I can't help but wonder if they can even start NEXT season on time.

They won't.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 6:34 am 

E.L. wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

They won't.

At least it's a lockout year anyway! What? We don't officially refer to CBA expiration dates as lockout years yet? I think we should. It's realistic.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 3:27 pm 

Saw more talk of a 24 team playoff scenario supposedly being discussed by the league & PA.
Interesting, but seems crazy at this point. Most teams are done for the year by now every other year.
Someone's going to keep track of playoff and training camp injuries... That's when we'll really tell if it's a mistake or not.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 11:34 pm 
Big in Japan

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/co ... -1.5574809

Yeah. I'll believe it when I see it and even then I still won't believe it.

I understand there's precious money at stake, but good luck getting anyone on board if it's not safe.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 12:13 am 

E.L. wrote:
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/commissioner-gary-bettmana-nhl-return-1.5574809

Yeah. I'll believe it when I see it and even then I still won't believe it.

I understand there's precious money at stake, but good luck getting anyone on board if it's not safe.

Las Vegas seems like the last place for a hub. If it opens up it will have so many traveler's and will be really tough to maintain social distancing so will be a regular hot spot. Edmonton is the exact opposite, who wants to travel to Edmonton but good place for a hub. And right now and for the foreseeable future, America is a shit show. Canada is doing a better job (except Quebec) so it would seem to make sense to place them in Canada but we'll have to see how we handle the opening..........two months minimum before they start.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 3:38 pm 
Big in Japan

24 team playoffs here we come baby.

Catch hockey fever, not, well, ya know...

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:41 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

I would be gobsmacked if Vegas isn't one of the selected venues (Gary's pet) & probably Edmonton due to the new building and centralized spaces.

Yeah but like how's this actually going to work. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:12 am 

Logical Progression wrote:
I would be gobsmacked if Vegas isn't one of the selected venues (Gary's pet) & probably Edmonton due to the new building and centralized spaces.

You think they'll play in regular NHL arena's? Or for that matter baseball or football in large stadiums? Going to seem like playing in an abandoned building. I think they'd be better off going into more intimate venues.

And when I think about it, this could go on for months. Players will need to move their families. I can't imagine Vegas being on the short list for most players and their families. They'll want the safest location from corona virus possible.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:21 am 
King of Men

harmfuljays wrote:
I'd really like to see a tournament here if they come back in August. At this point its kind of lost...there hasn't been a game for almost a month. Players and teams would take 2-3 weeks to ramp back up. In the interest of including everyone...I think its a league wide tourney based on Conference standings.....unfortunately the league isn't balanced correctly so you can't do that. So 1-12.....best of 5 until the conference finals or SCF which is best of 7.

That gives us some really good matchups to start with....Boston/Montreal anyone?

or you go back to the Division and take the top 6 in each and do it that way. That does leave certain teams like the Rangers and Chicago out in the cold though so probably not ideal considering you'd be adding in Anaheim and Buffalo at their expense.

Anyway...if they don't can it I think a tournament is the only way to do this.

:yayyy: ....... ;) Although it looks like the seedings and the tournament itself will be a bit different.
Quote:
The proposal is close to what the NHL initially suggested. Top four in each conference (based on points percentage) get byes. Then it is a “bracketed” setup: 5 vs. 12 (winner plays 4), 6 vs. 11 (winner plays 3), 7 vs. 10 (winner plays 2), 8 vs. 9 (winner plays 1). That’s how the NCAA basketball tournament does it, with the exception that the higher seeds have no byes.

Series best-of-five in the “play-in,” and best-of-seven after.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31- ... -proposal/

This is pretty exciting to me but at this point I will take anything. I really don't think this is cup worthy...but at least good enough to get hockey going again and try out what works logistically before next season starts.

Let The Covid Cup begin!

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:57 am 

Fogghorn wrote:
Logical Progression wrote:

You think they'll play in regular NHL arena's? Or for that matter baseball or football in large stadiums? Going to seem like playing in an abandoned building. I think they'd be better off going into more intimate venues.

And when I think about it, this could go on for months. Players will need to move their families. I can't imagine Vegas being on the short list for most players and their families. They'll want the safest location from corona virus possible.

I thought about them using more intimate arenas too, but I think the players are going to want legit NHL locker rooms and facilities. They can't play at a place like my local rink, where the ice is great, but the locker rooms are like 15x15 with half the coat hooks broken off the walls and dicks drawn everywhere. The closest thing to a hot tub is a puddle on the floor. Probably made of piss. If they didn't catch coronavirus, hep C would be a strong possibility. :lol: