OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:04 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Construction of the new Belmont arena is continuing as normal. I guess they figure construction folks wear masks all day, every day anyway. And at least they're working, unlike so many other NYers. Just seems kind of odd that a rink would continue being built under the circumstances.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:39 am 

Turns out I was wrong, as construction was literally stopped yesterday, minutes after I posted that it's ongoing. Only essential construction- roads, bridges, hospitals, utilities... Many construction workers are now unemployed, while others have jumped to working on new essential projects- hospitals and morgues. :cry:

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 2:06 pm 

Judge throws out final case against the Belmont arena.
https://eyesonisles.com/2020/05/14/isla ... ont-arena/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:09 am 

Belmont is going to have 100' high ceilings, compared to the Coliseum which has 75'. It's one of the lower heights in the NHL and is being done to keep the building loud for a home ice advantage and more of the "Coliseum-like atmosphere" that the Isles keep saying Belmont will have. Most arenas are closer to 135' ceiling heights from what I've read.

They also added some columns with glass cylinders on top, as a nod to Wang's lighthouse idea. Okay yeah. Sounds great. Can they build a 1st line winger while they're at it?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:55 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Boy they better get that rink built fast...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ssion=true

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:18 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
Boy they better get that rink built fast...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ssion=true

Back to Barclays...?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:22 pm 

What the fucking fuck? They were supposed to play all next year there. Fucking hell.

This whole C19 thing is a hoax by the Rangers to fuck the Islanders over!!!
Ok, I don't believe that. But it was fun to write.

But fucking fuck, can anything fucking go right for this team?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:33 pm 

Nassau County is threatening to terminate Prokharov's lease if he doesn't pay in 15 days. I think he'd be fine with that.
Rumor is the Isles will try for a 1 year least to bridge them to Belmont, and then, lo and behold, the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, Isles' AHL affiliate, has their lease expire in May 2021. Long standing rumor that they'll move the Sound Tigers to the Coliseum just might turn out to be true. It would help satisfy the fans who are mad that the Isles moved at all, would enable players to not even have to move if they are bounced between the NHL & AHL, etc. Could work out really well.

For the record, the Sound Tigers are having a really hard time getting asses in seats in Bridgeport. Maybe a move to the Isles long time home would help that, and maybe it'll prompt the owners and front office folks to keep a closer eye on why the Sound Tigers don't seem to be doing a good job of developing prospects into NHL talent. When Lou took over as Isles GM, he left his son in charge of the Sound Tigers. I thought Thompson would be gone by now as Sound Tigers coach. But he's still there.

I love going to games in Bridgeport, but would certainly be fine with the team being on Long Island. There aren't any other open arenas in the area with seating for an AHL team. Danbury Ice Arena holds like 2500 max, which is what the Sound Tigers draw as of now. But if they get good again, they could max out an 8500 seat arena. Hopefully.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:55 pm 

And the new Belmont arena already has a name. 20 year rights go to UBS Financial, so it's UBS Arena. It'll probably change 7 times during those 20 years, since banks merge like bunnies fuck.

And you can bet people will mess up and call it USB Arena all the time.

Big corporate names on arenas. Yaaawn.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:48 am 

No idea if Nassau terminated Prokharov's lease after 15 days or not, but the Oak View Group (Isles owners and others involved in building Belmont) are in talks to have the Isles play at the Coliseum next season. :toot:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:41 pm 

Isles had filed for TM on "The Bank", which was what they wanted to call the new arena. Fans were pissed (imagine that). Due to backlash and some decent suggestions, they've now filed TM docs for "The Stable" and "From the Barn to the Stable". If you weren't aware, Belmont currently has a horse racing track and obviously, stables. So it works pretty well. A lot better than the Bank. That's just stupid.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:07 pm 

My team plays in "The Can," so it could be worse.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:02 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
My team plays in "The Can," so it could be worse.

:laugh: That's fucking awful. I never knew that was the nickname. So yeah, compared to that, The Bank would have been stellar. But I kind of like the Stable, given the relation to the horse racing track next door.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:13 pm 

Belmont arena has already sold over 80% of season tickets available. There's still another season to be played before they move there. Good shit.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:48 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Chris18 wrote:

The moment anyone has a bad chili dog experience there you know it will be called the IBS Arena, right?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:47 pm 

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

The moment anyone has a bad chili dog experience there you know it will be called the IBS Arena, right?

Does that have to happen first? Notice I called it Belmont, not USB (I know that's not correct either, but it's what everyone defaults to).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:48 pm 

They should give away free plastic snakes for John Tavares night.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:51 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
They should give away free plastic snakes for John Tavares night.

That would be considered childish, which is how lots of people already view Isles fans for their treatment of him upon his returns. Fans would love it. Ledecky and Malkin would never allow it (as they shouldn't). They tried to be nice with the video tribute. But they also knew fans would drown out the audio with booing.

Isles fans have suggested the bathrooms be officially called "the John" for obvious reasons.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:51 am 

The last I-Beam was put into the building yesterday. A bunch of the Dynasty players signed it. Very cool move.

https://www.nhl.com/islanders/news/islanders-beaming-at-ubs-arena-progress/c-319409260

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:11 am 
King of Men

Chris18 wrote:
The last I-Beam was put into the building yesterday. A bunch of the Dynasty players signed it. Very cool move.

https://www.nhl.com/islanders/news/islanders-beaming-at-ubs-arena-progress/c-319409260

This whole prolonged shit show is a head scratcher. Oh geez...I didn't see that some Russian lord is closing the colliseum. Damn that blatant East coast corporate corruption.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next