OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bruins 2019-2020
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:10 pm 
King of Men

Bruins looked pretty good in their opener. Layers are still working well and I like the sandpaper in Ritchie and Wagner.

Jack and Brick were in mid season form making questionable comments about Polak crashing into the boards. Yes it was all Polak's fault.

How long can this machine last? I don't know....its going to break one day or maybe not with Mcavoy, Carlo and Krug back there.....

Charlie Coyle was predestined to be a Bruin.....

I do have some reservations about certain players and their ability to hack it though.....Connor Clifton chaps my ass, he's young and has only played around 20 games so he probably deserves a break. Jake Debrusk also causes me fits of rage. He's got talent but often times I don't think he's always in command of it. David Pastrnak...ok I like the guy but f'n a he is a turnover machine...watch him sometime......he gets blown off the puck and makes errant passes to phantoms quite frequently but all the other times he's f'n magic and he's really good in those Dunkin Donuts commercials.

The Bruins have also smartly found a veteran in Halak who can handle a considerable workload for an aging Rask just like last year.

Patrice is starting to slow down but overall this team is defying the odds and seems to be able continue their run of excellence (Bravo Don and Cam). While the Leafs may pass them in the standings this year the Bruins still must be considered a cup threat for now.

Post subject: Re: Bruins 2019-2020
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:48 pm 
King of Men

Well....not only are the Bruins 8-1-2 but they are dominating teams and putting up mad totals. I didn't expect this. But the machine keeps on chugging and grinding. I specifically liked the way they handled the Blues and the forecheck that caused them issues in the Cup series.

As a side note I had no idea that the rink announcer had retired and its weird to hear the same woo but from a different dude.

Even the guys I had thrown shade at have bought into the system and I finally may have to give Pastrnak his due as well.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:59 pm 
Big in Japan

Offensively they're a one line team right now, but it's a damn good line.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:38 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Love this.

https://theathletic.com/1350951/2019/11 ... ed-article

Quote:
As a young hockey player growing up in Czechoslovakia and later in Slovakia, Zdeno Chara was hazed and bullied. Acts occurred that he does not want to discuss in detail, but he decided then that he would never treat anyone in a similar fashion — ever.

That’s one reason Bruins newcomer Cameron Hughes did not skate a lap or two on his own at the start of the pregame warmup Monday night, something that has become a rookie ritual on many teams in the NHL. Not in Boston. As funny, juvenile or harmless as it may seem, Chara believes it’s unnecessary.

“I’ve been through some stuff and had to do certain things as a young player, and I didn’t like it,” Chara told The Athletic. “Right then I made up my mind if I was ever in control of that kind of environment and could make a change, I would do it.”

Regardless of age, accomplishments, status or titles, Chara believes in the one-team mentality. The 42-year-old Bruins captain, Stanley Cup winner and future Hall of Famer respectfully describes newcomers as “first-year players.”

“I don’t use the word ‘rookie’ because it just doesn’t sound right,” Chara said. “Little things go a long way and make a big difference for these young men who are trying to stay and establish themselves in the league. If we can help them out in any way, then that’s great.”

Public incidents of hazing have declined across the major sports in recent years, as the culture at large has begun to shift its feelings on the uglier forms of the practice. But in most quarters, the “harmless” types of hazing like the solo skate still persist. The reality is, however, sending a newcomer onto the ice by himself doesn’t help the nerves he’s already dealing with when making his NHL debut before family, friends and thousands of strangers. Chara believes younger players appreciate the professional culture in Boston.

“How can you expect something out of a young player on the ice when you treat him differently off the ice?” Chara said. “I believe in certain acts or behaviors, and it’s a standard for me that we’re not going to be using anything against anyone.”

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:15 pm 
King of Men

What's better than an ass kicking of the Habs at the Bell Centre? Nothing!

Well maybe this guy throwing in the towel in Montreal!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hPh-GL-qsE

:viking:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:57 pm 
Big in Japan

harmfuljays wrote:
What's better than an ass kicking of the Habs at the Bell Centre? Nothing!

Well maybe this guy throwing in the towel in Montreal!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hPh-GL-qsE

:viking:

Dangerous, but I appreciate the gesture. What a downer that game was. Habs need to do a little soul searching, especially the guy in nets...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:11 pm 

Interesting that they'd incorporate the cap hit in a motion graphic. :lol:

https://twitter.com/NHLBruins/status/11 ... 6928115712

https://twitter.com/NHLBruins/status/11 ... 7452763138

Both Charlie Coyle and Chris Wagner sign extensions. Details are...well, just hit the link!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:36 am 

Unbelievable, Avs have the best goal differential in the Western Conference and the Bruins are ahead of that mark by TEN GOALS. They are hands down the most dominant team in the league.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:27 am 
King of Men

This team also has the ability to pick themselves up off the deck.......several times lately they've been less then stellar out of the gate. But they find ways to come back which is what a well balanced team with Vet experience and a solid dressing room does.

The Hawks typically have their number but nothing the Bs could do about it last night in OT with Toews on a break after a blown tire. The feat was actually coming back to tie it once again. You almost expect them to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat with the way they are playing.

Its a real pleasure to watch this team. Pastrnak has clamped down on his errant passes and even Clifton is playing well. John Moore was back last night...I swear I haven't seen that guy in a year.

Not Surprisingly, following the Red Wings model seems to have worked.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:39 am 
King of Men

Bruins game has fallen off a bit of late and given the resurgent Lightning and Leafs a glimmer of Atlantic hope. However Pastrnak is killing it......puts up a hat trick against the Peg last night and leads the league with 35 in 45. 65 points total and most importantly a plus 16 so he isn't blindly turning it over with the frequency he had last year.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:13 pm 
Old Man of the Post

The Bears are on another level and thump the Cannots 4-0...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:14 am 
King of Men

The machine is rolling again with 6 in a row and a matinee Sunday date with the Wings.

In perspective I can only imagine what it was like to be a Wings fan when they rode their era of competitive greatness.......but now I think I have a pretty good idea. I laughed many years ago when the Bruins said we want to be like that but here we are.....and while they may not be as great as those Red Wings....they have been able to maintain a top notch compete level which is reflective most nights on the ice.

As fans we've come a long way since demanding that Jacobs sell the Bruins (yes I have those stickers) and having our nuts repeatedly punted by the Habs. We wavered as we realized Chiarelli wasn't Midas and Cam Neely doesn't walk on clouds (yes he does). We endured the blip in the road (14-15, 15-16) and learned Don Sweeney could be trusted in the office as well as when he was on the ice.

Its been a good run over the past decade and the core players truly deserve a heart felt thanks from the fans. It's definitely been a pleasure to behold from the man's area!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:51 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
The machine is rolling again with 6 in a row and a matinee Sunday date with the Wings.

:?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:47 am 
King of Men

Pokecheque wrote:
harmfuljays wrote:

:?

Apparently it doesn't roll against the Wings.....that's 2 losses now. B's seem to pack it in after the 10 minute no goal offsides review. Bernier was very good....he must like Sunday mornings. Eh...if you are going to mail one in might as well when it matters not.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:02 pm 
Big in Japan

Detroit losses notwithstanding, the B's are the beasts in the east when everyone is healthy. What Bergeron and Krejci are still doing as they approach their mid-30s is remarkable.

If they can find the space, I expect them to be aggressive at the deadline. They're good and have a real shot to come out of the east.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:25 pm 

Sweeney Todd is one of those guys who runs a little counter to most GMs. He stays relatively quite in the offseason and then goes big at the deadline.

Rumor has it they're gunning for Tyler Toffoli, who would be a great fit. Skilled two-way forward who can put up points, not very fast. Underlying numbers suggest he's just run into some really lousy luck (and is playing on a really lousy team) so the scoring touch should return on an improved roster.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:08 am 
Big in Japan

Bruins toyed with the listless, Weberless Habs last night. Not much of a rivalry when one team blows.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:17 am 
King of Men

Yeah for a Hab/Bruins matchup in the Garden it was pretty damn quiet! I even had to go watch the Chara/Pacioretty hit mid game to remind myself what it was like. There was some typical Marchand spearing and trash talking but nothing of event. Its hard to get excited over a tete a tete with Chara and Gallagher.....

I have to be honest I don't recognize anyone of disreputable note on that Habs team any longer (an aging Price who has always been classy). I expected Domi to inject some life back into it...but maybe that's just me thinking about Tie. I do like that Suzuki fellow!

I hate to see the Habs struggle continue year after year.......they need to pick a team to model.....detroit, boston, tampa and stick to that shit. This is the most historied team in sports and they need to clean it up! Some soul searching needed up there.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:36 pm 

Pasta is insane. And the funny thing is, he would likely not be half the player he is if he were playing anywhere else, because he pretty much does everything else poorly, but the one thing he does do well, he does it better than just about anyone else. In Boston, they can just plunk him onto a line with two elite-level two-way players and they can just do all the other stuff, while he can focus on putting the puck in the net.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:26 pm 
King of Men

Pokecheque wrote:
Pasta is insane. And the funny thing is, he would likely not be half the player he is if he were playing anywhere else, because he pretty much does everything else poorly, but the one thing he does do well, he does it better than just about anyone else. In Boston, they can just plunk him onto a line with two elite-level two-way players and they can just do all the other stuff, while he can focus on putting the puck in the net.

Well I am certain you know I view him in the same light....I've been bitching about his turnovers, blind passes and his inability to work in the corners since day one...and possibly even at the junior level....so I knew what the B's were getting (there's no Pasta wood thread after all). That being said he's the perfect compliment for that line and reaps the benefits. This could lead to him attempting to cash in on his next contract which the Bruins will have to consider carefully at that point.

I suppose I'll enjoy the ride for now as Patrice comes due before then.