OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:27 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

us 679 part trois wrote:
https://www.tsn.ca/new-york-islanders-head-coach-barry-trotz-on-benching-mathew-barzal-he-knows-why-1.1431205

Barzal was benched for the whole third period, for what Trotz says, "he knows why"

Apparently putting individual play ahead of team.

Is Barzal normally a selfish player?

The main knock on Barzal is that he passes too much and rarely shoots, so I certainly wouldn't think so. Unless he's going for an assist total or something.
I have never once thought Barzal was selfish. Trotz didn't say anything that it was during play, so I was wondering if he said something that hinted he was looking past the game to the All Star game or something like that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:40 am 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Chris18 wrote:
us 679 part trois wrote:
https://www.tsn.ca/new-york-islanders-head-coach-barry-trotz-on-benching-mathew-barzal-he-knows-why-1.1431205

Barzal was benched for the whole third period, for what Trotz says, "he knows why"

Apparently putting individual play ahead of team.

Is Barzal normally a selfish player?

The main knock on Barzal is that he passes too much and rarely shoots, so I certainly wouldn't think so. Unless he's going for an assist total or something.
I have never once thought Barzal was selfish. Trotz didn't say anything that it was during play, so I was wondering if he said something that hinted he was looking past the game to the All Star game or something like that.

Ok, fair, but in the article it says:

"Trotz, however, later told Arthur Staple of The Athletic that Barzal's benching was "100 per cent" about putting individual play ahead of the team. He did not elaborate further."

I too thought Barzal isn't selfish. Maybe just a couple of plays, but who knows.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:56 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

He apparently said or did SOMETHING that didn't fly with Coach No-Neck. Interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:05 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Pokecheque wrote:
He apparently said or did SOMETHING that didn't fly with Coach No-Neck. Interesting.
:lol: So true!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:03 am 

Pokecheque wrote:

Dude, you can't just make fun of people with no necks in 2020! Neckless (not to be confused with necklace) shaming isn't cool!

Barzal said at the ASG that he understands the benching and says it was totally on him for what he did, which he wouldn't elaborate on.
then he won fastest skater.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:38 pm 

I missed the game and before I could watch a replay saw that they lost in OT to the Canucks, after tying it with like 25 seconds to go in regulation. I guess I should be happy they got a point. Welcome back to playing. I think they have 92384 games in the next 2 months.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:34 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Chris18 wrote:
I missed the game and before I could watch a replay saw that they lost in OT to the Canucks, after tying it with like 25 seconds to go in regulation. I guess I should be happy they got a point. Welcome back to playing. I think they have 92384 games in the next 2 months.
Isles carried the majority of the play via the Trotz trap but the Canucks 5 on 5 counter attack was timely and Greiss was just ok - Markstrom was great. Lucky pinball goal to tie it to be honest but they outshot the Canucks by around 10-12 shot margin and won most puck battles. Loads of blocked shots. Hughes OT winner was pretty amazing.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:18 pm 
Big in Japan

Thanks to the Habs the surging Columbus Freaking Blue Jackets have passed the Isles in the Metro. Ok.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:52 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Thanks to the Habs the surging Columbus Freaking Blue Jackets have passed the Isles in the Metro. Ok.

As much as I view it more as "thanks to the Isles playing 'meh' hockey since their 17 game point streak, the surging Columbus Freaking Blue Jackets have passed the Isles in the Metro.", I shall echo the common sentiment in the Habs forum and say "Fuck that team".

Coming up:
Stars, Kings, Lightning, Caps, Flyers. It's not going to be an easy stretch.

Keiffer Bellows was called up today. He had 15 goals in 26 games in Bridgeport. Hopefully he can bring a nice scoring touch. They sure as hell need it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:47 am 

Isles with a comeback and win in OT. Beauvillier opened and finished the scoring. Nelson had a goal disallowed due to Lee interfering with Bishop, which he certainly did, but Bishop came a bit out of the crease. Not far, but I don't think Lee broke the plane of the crease. There's so much hair splitting, it's getting down to the splitting of atoms.
But nice to see the Isles stick with it. I'll admit I thought they were done when the Stars got their 3rd, which was not the best goal for Varlamov to allow. But Bishop allowed a softy at the other end as well, with Brassard putting one off his hip and in from below the goal line. Bellows threw a well timed hit and used his stick to shield the puck for Dal Colle to get it and pass to Brassard. Somehow Bellows was given a very generous assist on the play. He looked good; not out of place at all.

Kings on Thursday night.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:33 am 

5-3 win over the Kings. I missed the game, but saw they had a shitty first period, then came back. Bellows with not only his 1st NHL goal, but also his 2nd. :siren: :siren:

2 much needed wins in the last 2 games. Isles in Metro 3 now.
Lightning on Saturday, which I won't get to see.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:09 am 

As if Isles fans didn't love/miss Lehner enough, he got a map of Long Island tattooed on his neck (mid-season???) and said it's a place he'll always love, full of great people, and where he started his new journey. Much respect to the big man. If Sorokin doesn't come over for next year, I really hope the Isles bring Lehner back.

Tampa tonight. I will miss the game. Miss18.1 has her "senior night" game. Can't believe this kid is graduating high school soon!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:53 pm 
Big in Japan

Chris18 wrote:

Tampa tonight. I will miss the game. Miss18.1 has her "senior night" game. Can't believe this kid is graduating high school soon!

We old!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:39 am 

E.L. wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

We old!

Yep! Not quite TCL old. But old.

Isles lost to Tampa, 3-1 (en). They apparently played like crap.
Caps tonight. Only 9 points behind them...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:54 am 

5-3 win vs the Caps. They sure made it interesting. Had a 5-1 lead and got Samsonov yanked after 5. Holtby was good after that, and the Isles hit a few posts. Beauvillier with 2 goals in the first few minutes of the game and Holtby robbed him of the hat trick late in the third.
Uncle Leo with his 2nd of the year. Eberle with a nice one. And Toews scored on the Caps again- but did NOT do the Kuznetsov celebration. He looked very stoic after scoring. Good.
Caps pulled Holtby with just over 3 minutes to go. It was stressful to watch. :lol: Isles just missed the empty net a few times.

7 points behind the Caps now, but in the more important direction, the Blue Jackets and Flyers are right on the Isles' ass. Isles and Flyers play tonight. I don't buy a lot into the "on pace for" until past the 3/4 mark of the season, but we're getting very close to that and the 9th place Canes are on pace for 100 points. What the fucking fuck? Loser points have been around for a while, so it's not like they're suddenly raising the bar. Is it that the bad teams are THAT bad and everyone is getting points vs them? The bar for making the playoffs used to be 96 points and you were all but assured a spot. Now that would have you on the outside looking in, but in a shitty draft lottery spot. The Metro with 6 teams in the playoff dog fight. Crazy shit.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:25 am 

I missed all but last 8 minutes vs the Flyers. Apparently the Isles blew a 3-0 lead, letting the Flyers tie it up with about 1:50 to go. I felt like they'd go to OT and lose. They had other ideas. Pulock unleashed a frigging bomb of a slap shot over Elliot's blocker shoulder to go ahead with 38 seconds left and then Leo Komarov fought like a mofo to get an empty netter. 5-3 win in regulation. Yes, the 2 goal differential makes it obvious it was in regulation, but I still felt it deserved that extra emphasis.
Suddenly 5 points behind the Caps with a game in hand. 2 points behind the Pens.
More importantly, 3 points up on the Flyers, who are in WC2 and 5 up on the Jackets, who are in 9th.
Western Conference road trip- Predators on Thursday. Vegas on Saturday. Coyotes on Monday. Avalanche on Wednesday.

I didn't know until this morning that Cizikas left in the 1st period with what appears to be a cut to his leg by the skate of Provarov. Cizikas checked him along the boards and both went down in a bit of a tangle. Didn't look too bad but Provarov pulls his skate out from beneath Cizikas' leg and Cizikas immediately starts yelling. Fortunately, he slid into the ref and looked up to say something to him. Ref blew the whistle and waved the Isles trainer over right away. Good thing he was near the exit and tunnel to the Isles dressing room. But no update yet. Big loss if he's out for any time. He makes that 4th line more of a 2.5.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:41 pm 

Cizikas is out 3-4 weeks due to a skate cut.
Cole Bardreau recalled: He of the "my 1 NHL goal came on a penalty shot" fame.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:35 pm 
Big in Japan

Bardeau! https://youtu.be/SuGPWE1UifI

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:05 am 

E.L. wrote:

What the hell was that? It was worse than the bike dance scene in Rad.

Does anyone else feel like there have been more skate cuts this year than in the past 5 years combined? Getting cut by a skate used to be huge thing, largely due to how rare it was. Now it's like every team has guys out because of them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:59 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
E.L. wrote:

What the hell was that? It was worse than the bike dance scene in Rad.

What a movie! Watching that used to be like an initiation for new girlfriends of my brother and some of his buddies.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 19  Next