OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:23 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Flames recall a guy by the name of Buddy Robinson, which, I'm sorry, is the most un-hockey name ever. Even Lynn Loyns was more fitting for hockey.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:52 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Pokecheque wrote:
Flames recall a guy by the name of Buddy Robinson, which, I'm sorry, is the most un-hockey name ever.
:lol: Take me out to the ball game!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:45 am 

"Buddy Robinson" sounds like a guy wearing plus-fours on the golf course holding an beer in his hand that you're hoping to cut a deal with at the office.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:19 am 
King of Men

Cam Talbot is terrible!

Division leading Canucks!!??? WTF!!! How the hell did that happen!? :nar:

How the hell is a -13 GD team still in contention anyhow? ahhh the pacific has been equally abused by the rest of the league.

I don't get the violence entertainment hype for the upcoming Battle of Albertas tonight and Saturday. Those days are long gone....Matthew Tchkachuk would just assume run away and take a gloved punch or two then answer the bell like the old code used to demand. Zach Kassian is a throw back clinging to old ideals...with the rest of us fans. The most we are going to get here is some cheap hits (Rinaldo or Lucic if he can catch up), cheap shots and a lot of chin wagging....that's the new NHL so pump the brakes media types!

The Donnybrook is dead! The league has forced me to move on to a softer game.....just not sure why they can't stop backdoor supporting fisticuffs or building hype on the insinuation that somebody is going to get somebody. The only thing that somebody is going to get is lots of time in the box or a big fat fine if they try it.

I guess it sounds strange saying man we are going to get you and put up 8 goals! Take that! We are going to skate around you like the wind and make really crisp tape to tape passes and bury the biscuit! We are going to have really great line changes and our PP is going to put you in your place! We will block all of your shots! Our execution will be superior and our one timers will be better than any display sugar Rob, the Bruise Brothers, or Tie ever put on! That does sound very soft after all.

If nothing else it does inject a bit of passion and motivation into this club (and the fanbase).....historically that's been a bit tough to come by. And its been a long time since the Battle of Alberta has been this relevant so there is that. So let the pining for a ghost within the game continue and we'll all live in the sports entertainment world for awhile! I hope the games meet the hype level!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:26 pm 

Saw some of the debacle between Calgary and St. Louis. Both goalies were horrible, it's just that Binnington was slightly better in the shootout. Go figure.

I don't understand what Ward is trying to do. Plays overgrown emo band member Milan Lucic on the power play and puts my new favorite player Buddy Robinson on the top line. Also, I saw at least two instances where the Flames, instead of using the defensemen to cycle the puck and launch bombs on the goalie, just skate the puck up the boards, turn around and put a weak shot on neat from the top of the circle. There were also multiple instances late in the game where they just dumped it and didn't chase, allowing St. Louis to eat up time corralling the puck and sending it back up the ice the other way.

Calgary should've done what Vegas did and snatch up someone like DeBoer, but inexplicably they stuck with Ward instead. Not sure that was a wise move. Guess we'll see...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:38 pm 
King of Men

I'd agree with you here. Ward does seem to be a bit over his head. But we are seeing glimpses of what used to be from Monahan and Gadreau. D was very bad the other night but I do think that had a lot to do with the weak BS entry game the Flames were playing and shit....Talbot was horrible. There was no point last night going into the 3rd that I thought the Flames could hold onto the lead playing like that.

If the Flames play like that tonight I would expect a decisive victory from the Oil.

Expect a lot of pushing and shoving but not much more.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:50 pm 
King of Men

Monahan vs nugent hopkins..who knew..........kassian beating down Tckachuk........well I guess I am wrong! A spirited affair! Sports entertainment!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:08 am 
King of Men

Relatively tame after the first.......the Flames come out the right side of this one in the SO. Tkachuk steps up and has a go with Kassian, whether anybody believes it or not there is still a code of respect in hockey and Tkachuk earned it last night. Even more surprising was a very spirited affair that the refs let go longer than usual between RNH and Monotone Monahan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2KVziUDiZU

That was good for the game and this rivalry.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:13 pm 

NBC thought it was a good idea to show a completely meaningless game between the Kings and Bolts than the Battle of Alberta. Way to go, NHL!!!!!!

I saw some of this, certainly an intense game that thankfully didn't get reduced to extracurriculars. Tkachuk "answered the bell" and hopefully that will be that, but you never know.

Of course Gio with the attempted knee-on-knee hit on McDavid did not exactly leave things on an amicable note, so we'll see what happens.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:07 pm 
King of Men

This team is done as is. I don't think anyone should be fooled that they can get it together or be a playoff performer. That Diff, which in my opinion is a key indicator of playoff appearance, says it all.

The goaltending is shoddy, the play inconsistent and luke warm, a lot of gliding around waiting for plays to develop (not my job to create!). When the going gets tough they go the other away (hallmark of these Flames teams over the years). Its no surprise that the teams that did well in Calgary were full of Leaders and proven vet performers. So where is that on this team? ***crickets***

So the question is who stays and who goes? Who do you decide to keep? Me, I think its a no-brainer....you build this team around the image of Tckachuk....you make him the man and get rid of the others. So I guess an easier question for me to answer is who is untouchable currently....

Tckachuk
Lindholm
MangePunani

Gio
Andersson

That's it! Everyone else is available before the deadline if the right deal comes along.

Props to Brad for trying but sometimes it just doesn't work out. Time to start scoping the next GM.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:22 pm 
Big in Japan

harmfuljays wrote:
MangePunani

:lol:

Even Gaudreau is up for grabs? How about you send him home for Couturier? Razzle dazzle for stability.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:32 pm 
King of Men

E.L. wrote:
harmfuljays wrote:
MangePunani

:lol:

Even Gaudreau is up for grabs? How about you send him home for Couturier? Razzle dazzle for stability.

Done! F'n A who gave JVR that kind of money for that long? That's as bad as Milan! I can't get that trade to work on Capfriendly....Philly is up against it worse than Calgary.

Now mind you I am not actively advocating the shopping of Johnny or Monahan but........if the right offer comes along they aren't off limits.

Now here is a Gaudreau to Pitt trade:

https://www.capfriendly.com/trade-machine/875

https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/305265

These guys have now had a chance to be the leaders......and I am not sure they are ready right now (still maybe too young).

Can everyone inside the organization and fanbase take a disappointing season when expectations were so high?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:41 am 
King of Men

A must win...thumping of the somehow Pacific leading Canucks. Not sold on any of these teams in the Pacific right now. No one really seems to want to take charge.

Calgary back into the Wild Card picture for now with a must win.

Matthew Tkachuk is establishing himself as the leader of this team and IMO this will be his team at some point.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:13 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

An absolute no show at home by the Canucks versus the Flames last night. Markstrom let in at least 2 soft goals and was not very good, but is hardly to blame for the loss as he's been carrying the team for months.

Boeser hurt, Petey and Hughes were terrible and the Flames just plain wanted it more on this night. Why Green would pull the goalie at 5-2 is beyond me. Complete shit show.

Agree with Harmy's assessment of the Pacific Division. Major flaws in all of the teams. Much the the playoff seeding will come down to health, a lucky bounce here or there and some timely saves.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:55 pm 
Big in Japan

I still think the Flames have the best shot in the clogged Smythe. They're at least a little seasoned.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:42 am 
King of Men

Who knows?

Then they have nights like last night where all the unaccustomed players show up.....

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/fla ... persevere/

Yeah the Sharks were not ready to play and the game was over early.......however games like that can be good down the stretch.

This team has the talent but we'll see if they have the will. We are definitely witnessing the leadership emergence of Tkcachuk with Gio out.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:24 pm 

Tkachuk is a weasel, but the talent and skill are undeniable. Fun player to watch.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:56 pm 

Kinda funny that after that torrid start, James Neal has once again gone ice cold. Looch is only about 13 points back of him now.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:58 am 
King of Men

Who is this team? You have to beat teams like the Kings in a tight race otherwise you have no business being there. Yeah I get it...SoCal has never been the kindest to the Flames but still they need to find a way. If you trend this team out 90 points is probably not going to do it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:19 am 
King of Men

I can't figure these folks out. Thumps the team 6-0 that has historically punted their nuts. Talbot with a 44 save shutout....what?

Figure it out boys...put a streak together and get in the dance. Eghad this makes Brad's job hard with 10 days to go.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next