OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:29 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Isles talk about their gear, which is kind of interesting: https://www.nhl.com/islanders/fans/geared-up
Eberle and Barzal using different length sticks depending on the day- weird.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:39 am 

3-2 OTL to Bruins. I missed the game, but there was 1 penalty called/team in all of regulation, then Nelson got called for tripping in OT. Bruins with the PP goal to win it.

Penguins win in OT vs Vegas, so now the Isles are 3 behind the Pens (2 games in hand on them), and only 2 points ahead of the Canes (2 games in hand on them as well). Metro 3 is not a comfy position.

Rangers Monday and Thursday. Red Wings on Tuesday in between.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:33 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I'm told the Isles get to play five games this week, so that's two back-to-backs. Yikes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:24 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Pokecheque wrote:
I'm told the Isles get to play five games this week, so that's two back-to-backs. Yikes.

Wow, 5 games in 7 nights. Only have Wednesday and Friday off, and 7 games in 11 nights. What an F...ed up scheduling.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:48 pm 

us 679 part trois wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

Wow, 5 games in 7 nights. Only have Wednesday and Friday off, and 7 games in 11 nights. What an F...ed up scheduling.

It sure as hell didn't go well tonight, which was the front of back to backs. 6-2 loss to the Rangers after Eberle opened the scoring 18 seconds in. Fortunately I left for practice when it was 1-1, so my remote is still intact.

Oddity. Haley and Johnston fought (and Haley got the crowd back into it after the Rangers went down early). At the next faceoff Martin and Smith fought- before the puck hit the ice. They both went to their boxes and the linesman came over and pointed to the locker rooms (about 10 minutes left in the period). Smith and Martin looked at each other like wtf? The ref then told them that they were out of the game because it was a secondary fight, since the puck hadn't hit the ice for the next faceoff. Could read Martin's lips asking "is that even a rule"? Yes it is.

Red Wings tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:59 am 

Big bounce back win vs the Red Wings (sorry RW & Bosc).
Howard pulled after giving up 3 goals in less than 8 minutes, on 7 shots.
Nelson with every player's dream, getting a breakaway stepping out of the penalty box.
Barzal appeared to make it 7-1, celebrated briefly while behind the net, then looked skywards and told the ref "no goal. Didn't cross". Review showed the puck rolling inside the line, but leaning outwards. If it was a close game I'd have been pissed at the call. But the ref's call was certainly no Wes Cauley. He said something along the lines of "after further review, the ice didn't. (long pause). The line didn't cross. (long pause) No goal!" Brendan Burke left an awkward pause and then explained that the veteran ref, with well over 1000 games let the rookie with 6 NHL games give the call. :laugh:
Speaking of rookies, Noah Dobson got his first NHL goal. Wrist shot that was going high/wide but hit Biega's arm, Pickard's glove and went in. The Isles mobbed him and Dobson looked embarrassed. On the bench you could read his lips, saying to his mentor Boychuk something along the lines of it not being a good goal. Boychuk replied "you scored. It's in. Enjoy it!" and gave him a shove. Like a druncle at Thanksgiving.
And going the other way, the Isles once again gave up an NHL 1st goal to Givani Smith. I swear they must hold the record for most NHL 1st goals given up. Okay, an original 6 team has more years, so maybe % wise the Isles do. It just feels like every 5th game they give up a 1st goal. Or let someone break a drought, like Gomez. I guess Wings fans could say the same, because Uncle Leo Komarov scored his first regular season goal in a little over a year (he had a goal vs Pitt in the playoffs).
Cizikas is still out after the nut shot taken over the weekend. Yeesh.
Rangers again on Thursday. Hopefully the Isles show up to play like this, not like they did on Monday.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:36 am 
OTP Historian

I was thinking about turning the game on, looked at the score at the end of the first, and noped that one. Then looked at the score near the beginning of the second after they had scored on their first two shots, nope again.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:53 am 

Bosc wrote:
I was thinking about turning the game on, looked at the score at the end of the first, and noped that one. Then looked at the score near the beginning of the second after they had scored on their first two shots, nope again.

Been there many times with the Isles.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:33 am 
Big in Japan

Nice to see Beauvillier take a step forward this season. Should eclipse his previous season high of 36 points.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:28 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Nice to see Beauvillier take a step forward this season. Should eclipse his previous season high of 36 points.

It was good to see him score the other night vs Detroit. He hadn't in almost a month. Fans were calling it the Kendrick Curse. Actually, nobody said that. Until I just did. So I've been saying it. In my head.

Rainjizz tonight. Chance for revenge.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:45 pm 

Maybe they'll start pronouncing his name right... :ugeek:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:56 am 

Chris Kreider, runner of many goalies, ran Varlamov in the 2nd period and scored the game winner with 25 seconds to go in regulation while Brassard served a moronic crosschecking penalty. I don't understand how Kreider continues to get away with this shit.
3-2 loss to the Rangers. 2nd loss to them in 4 days. Isles need a real finisher, and soon. Someone wake Lou up from his nap.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:52 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Chris Kreider, runner of many goalies, ran Varlamov in the 2nd period and scored the game winner with 25 seconds to go in regulation while Brassard served a moronic crosschecking penalty. I don't understand how Kreider continues to get away with this shit.
3-2 loss to the Rangers. 2nd loss to them in 4 days. Isles need a real finisher, and soon. Someone wake Lou up from his nap.

I noticed Ryan Lindgren also took out someone with a head shot. But DOPS clearly doesn't give a fuck about that kind of stuff because they deemed what he

I'm about done with my semi-fandom of the Rangers. On top of them having a doofus for a coach and a GM who doesn't appear to know what he's doing, icing headhunters like Ryan Lindgren, and they're building around guys like Tony DeAngelo, who is quite simply a rotten person. I just...really don't like them right now.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:19 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

I noticed Ryan Lindgren also took out someone with a head shot. But DOPS clearly doesn't give a fuck about that kind of stuff because they deemed what he

I'm about done with my semi-fandom of the Rangers. On top of them having a doofus for a coach and a GM who doesn't appear to know what he's doing, icing headhunters like Ryan Lindgren, and they're building around guys like Tony DeAngelo, who is quite simply a rotten person. I just...really don't like them right now.

I know a lot of Ranger fans. Most aren't paying attention this year, and most of those say it's because of the overall attitude, not their record. Not sure how true that is, but even some Ranger fans are tired of Kreider running goalies and then acting like "I'm just so fast I can't control myself". I keep hoping one of these days he smashes his head on the crossbar or the end boards when he pulls that shit. Or a goalie basically says "I'll give you the goal but I'm tripping your ass into the crossbar to end this shit." I know I shouldn't wish injury upon anyone, but when the guy pulls this shit often and plays dumb, he deserves it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:21 am 

Lindgren got the maximum fine for the hit on Eberle. A week after he was suspended 2 games for his head shot on Donskoi. Great job DoPS!

Isles vs Caps this afternoon. Canes tomorrow to complete the 5 in 7, after having many 3-4 day gaps between games. Great job schedulers! You're almost as good as the DoPS. Almost.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:58 pm 

Total shit show of a game vs the Caps. 6-4 loss after going into the 3rd with a 4-1 lead. Devon Toews scored the 4th Isles goal and did Kuznetsov's bird wings or whatever celebration. As soon as I saw him do that I knew they'd lose. Fucking stupid, childish, trolling bullshit. Ovi with the empty netter for the hat trick.
Even the refs had a shitty game. Total phantom call on Eberle early on. Caps player just fell. Eberle called for a trip. someone must have told the ref he fucked up because during the PP Ovi took a phantom hook call. Both teams got some lucky goals. Refs continued their crappy calling. Caps had 7 skaters on the ice, one of the replacements played the puck as he hit the ice. Whistle blew and everyone on the planet thought it was too many men on the Caps. Nope. Leddy called for the gentlest slash I've ever seen.
Sticks all over the ice the whole game. Bailey with a beauty of a pass to Ovi for the game losing goal. Fucking tape to tape, just the wrong team. Whoopsie! Just fucking awful. I had thought of going to this game. So glad I didn't. I might have demanded my money back from the Isles players and wound up banned. Maybe that would be good at this point. This team is in desperate need of a trade and Lou is apparently still evaluating or somehow thinks this team is good enough. Pfft. They're good enough to be in a fucking dog fight a wild card after having been ahead of 3rd place by like 8 points with games in hand. Not anymore.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:42 pm 

Uh, yeah Devon...I don't mind a little chirping, but you ain't near good enough to be writing a check that big.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:45 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
Uh, yeah Devon...I don't mind a little chirping, but you ain't near good enough to be writing a check that big.

Yep.

Apparently they play Columbus today. I couldn't care less at the moment. My kids have games, there's snow to be shoveled, dogs to be walked, nails to be filed...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:17 am 

Isles with a 4-2 win against the Rangers going into the All Star break, plus a subsequent bye week for the Isles. They made it far more interesting than they had to. They had a 4-0 lead and then with like 6 or 7 minutes to go Mayfield took a moronic spearing penalty against Brendan Lemieux. It wasn't that bad, but Lemieux sold it well, as he should. Mayfield got a double minor and the Rangers scored on the first PP. Isles killed the 2nd PP, then iced it and the Rangers took a timeout. Isles either forgot or tried to pull a fast one, and had different players on the ice than there were for the icing. Delay of game penalty. Rangers scored on that one. Isles missed a few empty netters during the PKs, including Mayfield during the delay of game PK. I don't know why he was back on the ice. Should have been benched.
Speaking of being benched, Barzal was benched for the entire 3rd period. Announcers were speculating that the was hurt or something. After the game Trotz was asked and said that Mat was fine, but he was held out of the 3rd, and he and the coaches know why. So going into the All Star break and bye week, he gets benched for the last period. Not really the best idea for your franchise player, who happens to be an RFA this summer, and has openly said in the past that he loves the mayhem caused by offer sheets. Not sure this was handled as well as it could/should have been. And who knows wtf he did? Isles fans have already been analyzing each shift in the game, trying to find what he did so wrong. He had 2 assists when it was 3-0... Maybe he said something that shows he was thinking ahead to after the game.
Similarly, Devon Toews apologized for doing the Kuznetsov goal celebration. He said it was not pre-planned at all, but that he just did it. I hope he learned not to do shit like that. One time is immaturity. If he does something like that again it'll show he's a dumb ass.

On break now. 3rd place, 8 points behind the Caps, 4 behind the Pens (with a game in hand), and only 2 up on the Canes and 3 up on the Blue Jackets and Flyers (with a game in hand on all of them). Not exactly the most secure spot for a team that had a 17 game points streak not too long ago.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:46 am 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

https://www.tsn.ca/new-york-islanders-h ... -1.1431205

Barzal was benched for the whole third period, for what Trotz says, "he knows why"

Apparently putting individual play ahead of team.

Is Barzal normally a selfish player?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 19  Next