OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 894 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 45  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fuck this team
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:47 pm 
Big in Japan

Habs are where we thought they'd be: hovering around a playoff spot. They keep losing winnable games and winning unexpected ones. It's infuriating to watch and I can't explain it. They're also pretty bad on special teams at home. Weber/Chiarot are logging unsustainable minutes right now. The Captain is playing his best hockey in a Habs uniform to date, suggesting he's finally healthy.

Bergevin did a post-Taylor Hall trade presser to explain that he's not dealing futures this year. I get it, and it's the smart decision, but after eight years of mediocrity, fans are impatient even if they know this isn't a contender worth investing in.

On the plus side, Suzuki and Fleury have integrated themselves nicely and Joel Bouchard has rebuilt the floundering AHL program. Kotkaniemi was struggling then got hurt, but I don't think any less of his ability. Poehling is learning the game and not quite ready yet, but I'm also not worried. He'll be a regular in 2020-21. Primeau is also taking to the pro game quickly.

Going forward the Habs have some big decisions to make now and this offseason regarding 2021 UFAs Danault, Gallagher, Tatar, Armia, Petry. They can't re-sign them all. The first two are the obvious priority, so depending on where this season goes I'd examine dealing the rest for NHL-ready assets. This team doesn't need picks or long shots.

So basically, they can deal Tatar, see what happens to Armia and let Petry ride it out since he's indispensable right now and father time will likely take care of his next cap hit. He could come back pretty easily.

With Caufield set to leave Wisconsin before the season is out, we're looking at a young roster by the end of the season/slash opening day Oct 2020:

Domi-Danault-Gallagher
Drouin-Suzuki-Caufield
Tatar-Kotkaniemi-Armia
Lehkonen-Poehling-Weal

Chiarot-Weber
Kulak/Romanov-Petry
Mete-Fleury

Pricemeau

As you can see, they need help on defence still, some help at RW. I don't know what to make of the centre situation, it's up to the kids to prove they can play. Until then, it's Danault/Domi/Thompson with one of the kids.

My guess is Bergevin continues to holding pattern, retaining his roster players and maybe dealing a 2021 pick for a rental. I'd like to see him acquire a younger player with term who can be part of the solution. I think they still need size/speed guys on the wings in addition to that elusive powerplay defenceman. I don't see a foundational guy like Hall coming. Toffoli/Martinez makes sense. Move Kulak and a pick for a slight LD upgrade. Things like that.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:24 am 
Big in Japan

Yeesh, a couple of ragers in Florida. Zero defence and goaltending.

This doesn't look like a playoff team.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:52 pm 
Big in Japan

Reinforcement for the D: local boy Marco Scandella from the Slugs for a 4th. Just prior they shipped Reilly to Ottawa for help on the farm and a 5th.

Chiarot has played well but is already looking overworked and exhausted. Scandella and a healthy Mete will help, and Kulak will swap in often enough.

Habs are too good to tank but too hurt to compete, but it's worth going for a playoff spot.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:14 pm 
Big in Japan

Habs sign Kovalchuk for basically the prorated min.

He'll replace Weal, who replaced Gallagher after he went down with a concussion. This season has fallen off the rails thanks to injuries.

It's not a bad move, but it is a sad one.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:18 am 
Big in Japan

Habs have lost five straight at the worst possible time.

Artturi Lehkonen is having a mini-breakout season: 20 points so far. He doesn't always finish, but rarely has a bad night.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:17 pm 
Big in Japan

Former 1st rounder Big Mike McCarron heads to Nashville for Charles Hudon's former Chicoutimi teammate Laurent Dauphin.

Another 1st rounder gone. Y'all know how I feel about Sly and the pal who protected him.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:14 pm 
Big in Japan

Habs lose to the basement dwelling Wings yet again. Three losses against them. 12th in the conference.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:01 pm 
Big in Japan

Habs with Drouin: 11-5-3
Habs without Drouin: 7-14-4

Sometimes it's not much harder than that. Lose your best offensive player when you're already not a strong team up front.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:33 am 
Big in Japan

Following the 2020-21 season, the Habs have the following unrestricted free agents (with age they'll be):

Tomas Tatar, 30
Brendan Gallagher, 29
Phil Danault, 28
Joel Armia, 28
Jeff Petry, 33

If this team had any guts, they'd consider trading all of them for 2-3 assets apiece (Armia might not get that, but you get the idea). They could walk away with 12 or so assets. Combine that with Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Poehling, their other recent picks and maybe work out Price to Seattle, and you've got yourself a quick reset.

That's what I would do, and it's a baseball overhaul approach to rebuilding, but not something conservative hockey guys will consider. I suspect they re-sign Danault and Gallagher to tricky long-term deals, deal Armia for scraps, wait too long to decide on Tatar and maybe bring back an older, settled Petry at a reasonable rate.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:40 pm 
Big in Japan

Finally some w's. Price is finally playing like he's pissed off.

Poehling scored his first of the season.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:46 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Nice. Habs shut out the Flames AND Cale Fleury flattens Bleach Blond Milan Lucic.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:47 pm 
Big in Japan

Habs drop an easy one against the Hawks. Flyboys tomorrow, Sweet Golden Knights Saturday, then All-Star Break.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:57 pm 
Big in Japan

After a stinker against the Hawks, the Habs take it to the Flyboys. The inconsistency is maddening.

Tomas Tatar has quietly taken his game to another level since joining the Habs: 101 points in 129 games. Makes him a 64 point player over a season, and he hasn't gone more than four games without a point as a Hab. He's one of many UFAs coming up in 2021 and he's probably the odd man out, but maybe he shouldn't be.

Also, Ilya Kovalchuk has 7 points in 7 games. And not junk points either, his shot is deadly and Danault has looked like Adam Oates feeding him the puck. Depending on how the season goes, the Habs may be presented with the option of trading him to a contender or re-signing him.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:16 pm 
OTP Historian

Love seeing Tatar thriving in Montreal!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:22 pm 

Love seeing Kovalchuk thriving in Monreal.

Boy is that one hell of a bad look for the Kings though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:22 pm 

Wait, what? Carey Price is named after Larry Walker's brother...!?

I just read that off Arpon Basu's Twitter.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:54 pm 
Big in Japan

Heading into the All-Star Break, the Habs are 22-21-7, good enough for 12th in the Eastern Conference and 10 points back of a Wild Card. They also won 4 of their last 5 heading into the break and have promising underlying stats, which is probably enough evidence they need to at least sorta go for it and not start a fire sale. This will likely not serve them well in the long run.

Kovalchuk is motivated in Montreal: 8 points in 8 games

It's been quiet on the Drouin and Byron front, but I wonder if they might be ready to come back soon. Ditto Gallagher, who rushed back from a concussion and did more harm than good.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:31 pm 
Big in Japan

Pierre Lebrun in the Athletic says Bergevin likely won't deal any of the 2021 UFAs because the Habs "want to compete next year."

What does that even mean? This Habs team in recent times hasn't competed for the playoffs more often than not. And is that really the only goal here, to maybe be competitive? Why can't this team try to be better than that?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:40 pm 
Big in Japan

Back from the break with a loss to the Caps. Shut this season down. Only question is whether it's better to let the kids fight for a playoff spot in Laval or take their licks in Montreal.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:56 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

E.L. wrote:
Back from the break with a loss to the Caps. Shut this season down. Only question is whether it's better to let the kids fight for a playoff spot in Laval or take their licks in Montreal.

Yup and 122nd loss this season by a goal! (I don't count empty net goals) and two goals in the second period as gifts from the Habs. Yes, they are officially done!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 894 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 45  Next