OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 639 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 32  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:05 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
Jumanji 2 (or is it 3?)

I'll give it three pucks. Wife wanted to do something fun yesterday so that's what we settled for. Perfectly enjoyable popcorn fair.

The best part is having the Rock and Awkwafina do their best Danny DeVito impressions, which you'll understand once you see the film.

And yes, they're already hinting at a third (or is it the fourth?) film in the post-credits scene.

I saw the "first" one the other night. The Rock & Karen Gillan did a great job of acting like self-conscious nerds. Kevin Hart didn't act like anyone but Kevin Hart. Funny, but not the character he should have played. Jack Black was awesome in his role.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:26 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Chris18 wrote:
I saw the "first" one the other night. The Rock & Karen Gillan did a great job of acting like self-conscious nerds. Kevin Hart didn't act like anyone but Kevin Hart. Funny, but not the character he should have played. Jack Black was awesome in his role.

Yeah, it's kinda awkward in the 2nd one because Kevin Hart has to restrain himself playing Danny Glover, and Jack Black is playing Kevin Hart's role. You'll just have to see it.

The next film implies that everyone might be on screen together, now that'll be interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:59 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Yeah, it's kinda awkward in the 2nd one because Kevin Hart has to restrain himself playing Danny Glover, and Jack Black is playing Kevin Hart's role. You'll just have to see it.

The next film implies that everyone might be on screen together, now that'll be interesting.

Gotcha.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:12 pm 

I remember there being some uproar over the Hobbit- Desolation of Smaug. Watched it today (finally). I don't necessarily mind the she-elf character, but the complete changes from the original story- WTF?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:20 am 

Chris18 wrote:
I remember there being some uproar over the Hobbit- Desolation of Smaug. Watched it today (finally). I don't necessarily mind the she-elf character, but the complete changes from the original story- WTF?

There had to be changes. It was a tiny little book that they milked into a 3 movie cash cow. Two might of been okay but 3 movies just bored the hell out of me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:00 am 

I barely made it through the first one. Jackson shoved soooooo much shit in there I just felt overwhelmed. That should’ve been ONE film. And it would’ve been fantastic.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:55 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
I barely made it through the first one. Jackson shoved soooooo much shit in there I just felt overwhelmed. That should’ve been ONE film. And it would’ve been fantastic.

I was explaining all of this to my kids. The Hobbit is about a 10 hour book, and was made into about 8 hours worth of movies. Each LOTR book is about 20 hours and was squished into a 2.5 hour movie. WTF Jackson?

I kind of liked Jackson adding in the counsels with Elrond, Galadriel, Saruman and Gandalf. They're alluded to in the books, but never really discussed. But there are so many basic things missing that wouldn't take time. The dwarves all wearing their proper colored cloaks for one. And the makeup on some of them. What the fucking fuck?

I've still got one more Hobbit movie to go, and Miss18.2 should finish Fellowship tomorrow so we can watch that too. Big sister hated The Hobbit book but kind of liked the movies so far. She never read any of LOTR after hating The Hobbit so much. I told her she'd have to read the LOTR books to watch the movies. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:00 am 

I dunno, the Hobbit's got a LOT of stuff shoved in there, but I just don't think many of the characters outside of Gandalf, Bilbo, and Thorin are all that engaging. The majority of the dwarves are completely indiscernible from one another, and that's kind of the point. I suppose I can give Jackson some credit for trying to give them personalities but...eh, I don't know if it was necessary.

The one scene I actually would like to see is when Bilbo rescues everyone from the spiders. I bet that was at least visually engaging, hopefully not nearly as overwrought as virtually everything in that first movie. That scene where they're just cartoonishly running around underground trying to get away from the goblin with the giant double chin was just absurd, and not in a good way.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:18 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
I dunno, the Hobbit's got a LOT of stuff shoved in there, but I just don't think many of the characters outside of Gandalf, Bilbo, and Thorin are all that engaging. The majority of the dwarves are completely indiscernible from one another, and that's kind of the point. I suppose I can give Jackson some credit for trying to give them personalities but...eh, I don't know if it was necessary.

The one scene I actually would like to see is when Bilbo rescues everyone from the spiders. I bet that was at least visually engaging, hopefully not nearly as overwrought as virtually everything in that first movie. That scene where they're just cartoonishly running around underground trying to get away from the goblin with the giant double chin was just absurd, and not in a good way.

The spider scene is in it. It's not as drawn out as in the book, and thankfully doesn't involve him singing at the spiders.

The big goblin was just dumb. He should have been horrifying and intimidating, not laughable. I found all the goblins to be goofy. That scene should have been scary. Oh well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:40 am 

Alita: Battle Angel

Man I sure liked this movie. Maybe because I didn't expect much. Supporting cast of Christoph Waltz, Jennifer Connelly, Mahershala Ali, hard to go wrong with that. And the storyline was just superb.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:57 pm 

Bad Times at the El Royale

Finally got around to seeing this. Given the incredible cast you'd have thought this one would've garnered more buzz.

Period piece set in 1969 in a hotel right on the California/Nevada border. It stars Jon Hamm, Nick Offerman, Jeff Bridges, Dakota Johnson, Chris Hemsworth and Lewis Pullman (son of Bill, y'know...Lone Star). It also stars Cynthia Erivo, whom I believe is the only woman of color up for ANYTHING in this year's Oscars (way to go Hollywood).

The film is a little too long, but it's worth it to listen to Erivo sing. Rumor has it the director was trying to get Beyonce for her role, which would've been a shame because Queen B's vocals wouldn't have even come close to hers. I think the wife also enjoyed seeing Thor slink around the room with an open shirt and impossibly low low-rise jeans, even though he's the principal villain of the whole thing. It's fun, and makes good use of it's stellar cast, though given the beautiful setting, the hard-boiled plot, and the caliber of talent involved, you're expecting just a little more.

Two-and-a-half pucks.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:57 pm 

Knives Out

Wife was dying to see this one, and we held off because I was convinced it'd be nominated for an Academy Award and we'd see it at the local theatre's Oscar festival we go to every year. Alas, it wasn't, so we went to go see it last night.

Rian Johnson is a gift. Much as I actually did NOT love The Last Jedi, it still had a lot of stuff I found enjoyable. Even that film showed signs of being ambitious and well-crafted. This one is Johnson unencumbered by a multibillion dollar franchise, where he creates something from whole cloth, and that's where he's at his best. A nice whodunnit with at least a couple fun twists, and great performances throughout. The actors genuinely look like they're all enjoying themselves, especially Chris Evans playing the complete and total antithesis to the Captain America he embodied for the last decade.

I highly recommend this one. Four pucks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:14 am 
King of Men

Parasite was very good.....I also enjoyed Old Boy and Along With The Gods.....Go Korea!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:25 am 

Went to a film festival today and saw a number of movies up for Best Picture, along with all the live-action shorts up for an Oscar.

I recommend you see all the nominated live-action short films. They're all very interesting and well-done. Too lazy to list them, just look them up.

Quick recap of the nominees we saw:

Little Women
Y'know, I'm not terribly familiar with the source material, I read it once for school but barely remember it, so I can't say how "authentic" an adaptation it is, but I found it to be a perfectly enjoyable movie. Well acted, not sure I'd give it the Oscar, but I won't be upset in the slightest if it wins. Greta Gerwig is good at the writing and directing thing.

JoJo Rabbit
The most unique movie we saw today, and I'm guessing the most unique entry period. I won't go over the details but it's definitely one of the craziest movies I've ever seen, and in a good way. Sam Rockwell is truly one of the greatest actors working today. Somehow he makes you love a friggin' Nazi commander. You'll have to watch it to see how. A wonderful satire that has some truly profound and dark moments.

This is the movie I'd probably hand the Oscar to as it was my favorite. A WWI film that takes place in real time and filmed as if done in one take, it's amazing and disturbing to watch at the same time. The performances are spot-on (some great cameos from top-flight actors) and it's truly one of the best scores I've heard in a long time. I think I'm going to own this one eventually.

Joker
Easily my least favorite entry, though I cannot deny that once again, Joaquin Phoenix turns in an absolutely mesmerizing performance. He'll likely win the Oscar for this...but I kinda wish he didn't. This film, unlike some of the others, was disturbing, but in ways that were not entertaining. I may talk more about this movie later, but in the end it just felt like a bitter screed put on the screen rather than an actual film, and it borrows quite liberally from the Robert De Niro catalog. If that wasn't obvious, De Niro himself actually shows up to play a prominent role.

I really, really hope this one does not win.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:41 am 

Holy effin' SHIT...Parasite KILLED it at the Oscars, won FOUR awards! Including both International film and Best Picture.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:04 pm 

Anyway, a quick recap of the films the wife and I saw for the 2nd day of the Best Picture festival at our local downtown theatre:

Parasite
What a crazy-ass film. Part psychological thriller, part comedy, part tragedy, part commentary on class stratification. It obviously takes place in South Korea but could take place anywhere (and I'm still betting, despite the absolute star showing it made during awards season, that Hollywood will indeed make an American version eventually). And everything works. I'd edge 1917 out as my favorite of the films that I saw, but this was a VERY close second and absolutely deserving of all the awards it won. I hope this means a trend in the right direction when it comes to the Academy Awards but...I'll wait and see.

Ford v. Ferrari
A very well-done film, albeit probably the most "conventional" of all the entries I watched. Great performances throughout and as always, Christian Bale is about the most committed actor in history, dropping 40 effing pounds to play late race car driver Ken Miles. I wouldn't have minded seeing him win an award for this but...meh, whatever.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Still processing this one, as it just felt a little disjointed to me, even more disjointed than some Tarantino fare I've watched. I didn't love it, but there's always some good things to say about even the worst QT movies. Pitt finally won his first Oscar for this movie, and I'm fine with him winning it for this one, though I think he's had better performances elsewhere. Whatever, it's an intriguing one to say the least.

Also saw all the animated shorts. "Hair Love" won the top prize but they were all quite good. Highly recommend you see them all.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:28 am 

Started the Marvel series with the family. Watching in chronological order of the setting of the movie, not the order they were made, in based on this list: https://www.amctheatres.com/amc-scene/t ... ch-the-mcu
I'll admit, we skipped the Hulk. Just heard from too many people that it was awful, and I like Ed Norton. Watched the first Thor last night.
So far I think they're good movies. Probably discussed much earlier in this thread. Oh well. I'm always late to the party.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:45 am 

Chris18 wrote:
Started the Marvel series with the family. Watching in chronological order of the setting of the movie, not the order they were made, in based on this list: https://www.amctheatres.com/amc-scene/t ... ch-the-mcu
I'll admit, we skipped the Hulk. Just heard from too many people that it was awful, and I like Ed Norton. Watched the first Thor last night.
So far I think they're good movies. Probably discussed much earlier in this thread. Oh well. I'm always late to the party.

I quite liked the Hulk, ending was a bit weak but character development for the Hulk was stronger than most other Marvel movies.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:20 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Fogghorn wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

I quite liked the Hulk, ending was a bit weak but character development for the Hulk was stronger than most other Marvel movies.

Yeah, I liked Ed Norton's Hulk as well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:48 pm 

The Ed Norton Hulk was fine, I didn't care for Ang Lee's version. That was so far out there it was insane.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 639 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 32  Next