OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2019 MLB Thread
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:15 am 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
Rendon goes to the Angels for 7/245.

The two highest paid position players play for the same team.

It's even better than that.

https://twitter.com/jaysonst/status/1204995937732460545

Quote:
Largest AAV, 2 teammates:

Trout-Rendon (Angels) $70.5M
Verlander-Greinke (Astros) $67.4M
Cole-Stanton (Yankees) $61M
Trout-Pujols (Angels) $59.5M
Rendon-Pujols (Angels) $59M

So the Angels have 3 of the top 5 - and the Yankees/Astros aren't even paying all the Stanton/Greinke $

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:38 am 
OTP Historian

Jays sign Tanner Roark, 2 years $24 mil. Innings.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:49 pm 
Big in Japan

Madison Bumgarner leaves the only team he's ever known for the Arizona Diamondbacks. Five year deal. Has horses in Zona and his wife loves it there, so he took a bit less money for a fifth year in a town he likes.

Not all that sad to see him go, even though he was awesome to watch for a decade. His fastball is declining, he's giving up more homers than ever and while he is a workhorse, the quality of those 200 innings isn't what it used to be.

I don't worry about his durability, and I think he'll be a perfectly average pitcher the next five years. The rebuilding Giants could've taken the easy route and given him the cash for the PR, but they'll find better results on the waiver wire. And having pitch in Arizona doesn't make me feel bad. They're an ok team and it won't come back to haunt the Giants.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:14 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

In the AZ dry heat, those home runs against are going to go up.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:17 pm 
Big in Japan

Chris18 wrote:
In the AZ dry heat, those home runs against are going to go up.

That is very likely. One thing in his favour: he intentionally pitched for flyballs in SF because it's the toughest hitters park in baseball. He's savvy enough to adapt his repertoire, but he'll still give up a lot of gophers.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:22 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

They used to juice the players, now they juice the baseballs.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:45 pm 
Big in Japan

The Toronto Blue Jays win the Shun Yamaguchi sweepstakes. I'm so sad, I wanted the first Tokyo Giant posted to become a San Francisco Giant.

Basically a Swiss Army knife split change guy who throws 90 MPH junk really accurately and gives up no homers. Might not have the velocity for The Show but he's a cunning 33-year-old who's managed to carve out an interesting career as a closer and starter. I wouldn't bet against him, and at that price he's basically a free lottery ticket.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:13 pm 

I haven't read the article yet but The Athletic graded each MLB team's offseason thus far, and the Rockies got an F. Definitely what they deserve.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:02 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
They used to juice the players, now they juice the baseballs.

I'll bet you wrote that, reread it, and then added "base". :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:44 am 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
The Toronto Blue Jays win the Shun Yamaguchi sweepstakes. I'm so sad, I wanted the first Tokyo Giant posted to become a San Francisco Giant.

Basically a Swiss Army knife split change guy who throws 90 MPH junk really accurately and gives up no homers. Might not have the velocity for The Show but he's a cunning 33-year-old who's managed to carve out an interesting career as a closer and starter. I wouldn't bet against him, and at that price he's basically a free lottery ticket.

Good move, but another one that doesn't really move the needle.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:51 am 
Big in Japan

Bosc wrote:
E.L. wrote:

Sure, but the needle will move when Vlad-Bo-Biggio take another step forward. All the Jays can do right now is build a patchwork pitching staff that's league average to back them up.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:29 pm 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
Bosc wrote:
E.L. wrote:

Sure, but the needle will move when Vlad-Bo-Biggio take another step forward. All the Jays can do right now is build a patchwork pitching staff that's league average to back them up.

I still feel like they need to be proactive in making a big move. They can't rely on everything they need to be available and willing to come when they've taken a step forward. They have the cash now to spend it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:09 pm 
Big in Japan

Is Hyun-Jin Ryu proactive enough?

The Jays have the young hitters, and now they have a rebuilt rotation with Ryu, Anderson, Roark and Yamaguchi.

Next up, I think they'll get a decent OF. Quite a few still out there.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:12 pm 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
Is Hyun-Jin Ryu proactive enough?

The Jays have the young hitters, and now they have a rebuilt rotation with Ryu, Anderson, Roark and Yamaguchi.

Next up, I think they'll get a decent OF. Quite a few still out there.

It's something all right!

What I still don't have an answer for is how they don't front-load that fucking deal. You know when the kids get expensive. You know his age and the direction in which Ryu will decline. You know what your payroll commitments are now. You know how much easier it will be to move Ryu with a reduced salary at the end if need be. 30-20-20-10. 30-25-15-10. HOW THE FUCK do you do a straight 20-20-20-20?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:37 pm 
Big in Japan

Bosc wrote:
HOW THE FUCK do you do a straight 20-20-20-20?

Anyone know an accountant with an expertise in Korean taxes? Ryu cited the strong Korean community in Toronto as a draw, and now I'm wondering if there will be a cameo on Kim's Convenience.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:38 am 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
Bosc wrote:
HOW THE FUCK do you do a straight 20-20-20-20?

Anyone know an accountant with an expertise in Korean taxes? Ryu cited the strong Korean community in Toronto as a draw, and now I'm wondering if there will be a cameo on Kim's Convenience.

Love the title of that show because I worked with a guy at Subway, Matt Kim, whose parents immigrated from Korea, bought and ran a convenience store and are loved by everyone, and Matt's a lawyer now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:58 pm 
Big in Japan

Time for the Giants front office to shine. The big money is out of the way, now the team can go after upside guys and take on dead money from the Cubs, Bosox and Yanks for prospects.

They need a right-handed power hitter. I assume they'll get one of Castellanos (unlikely), Ozuna (even less likely), Puig, Santana or Souza Jr. I like Souza.

It also wouldn't hurt to find a taker for Samardzija, who has a year left on his not-terrible deal but kinda got by on deception last season. You might get more for him at the deadline, but he might also decline before then.

The Giants are one of the few teams able to take on David Price, but if Zaidi could get a 2019 1st rounder (Wilson) for one year of Zach Cozart (15M), what will the Sox need to give up for Price's remaining deal? Maybe the Giants throw in Belt but get a Chavis/Dalbec back.

Giants could take on a Chatwood or Happ quite easily.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:21 pm 
Big in Japan

Astros GM and manager suspended for the 2020 season for stealing signs with a garbage can. Also lose picks and cash.

https://www.mlb.com/news/astros-sign-stealing-penalty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:42 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Astros GM and manager suspended for the 2020 season for stealing signs with a garbage can. Also lose picks and cash.

https://www.mlb.com/news/astros-sign-stealing-penalty

I dunno...is that enough though? I feel like it should be more severe than that. Two years at the very least and they have to apply for reinstatement. I'd also slap the living hell out of the owners way worse than they did. Like, the next cheating team should have to take over Bobby Bonilla's payments or something.

Sports culture is so stupid, especially baseball. A pitcher throws his glove in frustration, a batter flips his bat in exultation, and people freak the hell out. One of the top teams in baseball goes out of their way to cheat, and it's met with a collective shrug.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:13 pm 

Apparently both Hinch and Luhnow have also been fired.

Why were no players punished? They had a big role to play in this too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next