OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: THE TAYLOR HALL WATCH
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:33 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

It has begun. Speculation ramping up the more NJ languishes, and now a Devils scout was spotted at the Avalanche's most recent game.

https://theathletic.com/1423963/2019/12 ... g-a-trade/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:27 am 
Big in Japan

Colorado is the exact team that should push the chips all in and go for Hall as a rental.

Norris division looks soft.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:14 pm 

If the asking price is Bowen Byram or Alex Newhook, Sakic should tell Shero to pound sand.

If it's Conor Timmins...welllllllll...I personally wouldn't do it but I tend to be conservative about these sorts of things.

Reality of the situation is that the window for the Avs is now, they have their top two centers, one of whom is arguably the 2nd best player in the league, to insanely team-friendly deals. After that both become exponentially more pricey and some choices will need to be made. If there was a time to really go for it, it's now, just hope Shero doesn't drive as hard a bargain as Sakic did with Dorion.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:18 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Hall said Tavares changed the FA landscape, so clearly he's looking to get PAID and loyalty doesn't mean shit to him. So any team trading for him should only expect a rental and that hurts the Devils' return. Or at least, it should.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:39 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Hall said Tavares changed the FA landscape, so clearly he's looking to get PAID and loyalty doesn't mean shit to him. So any team trading for him should only expect a rental and that hurts the Devils' return. Or at least, it should.

I imagine Shero is hoping for a Stone-type deal, but circumstances were pretty unique there. Stone and his agent were allowed to negotiate a deal roughly a week before the deadline with Vegas, and McCrimmon apparently has a good history with Stone.

Really, this is better than how Tavares handled it, no? If he is making it known that he is testing the market no matter what, that's a good thing. I remember Brad Richards said the same his final year in Dallas, which completely scuttled any plans to trade him.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:30 pm 
OTP Historian

Would Tampa trade someone like Johnson/Gourde/Palat along with some younger assets? Would Jersey take that?

Killorn having a pretty productive season. How much of an asset is he? His deal doesn't look too bad anymore but he's 30.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:20 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Would Tampa trade someone like Johnson/Gourde/Palat along with some younger assets? Would Jersey take that?

Killorn having a pretty productive season. How much of an asset is he? His deal doesn't look too bad anymore but he's 30.

I'd definitely take a trade centered around T. Johnson, I've been a fan of his for a while. Tremendous forward who can play all three positions up front, two-way ability and great underlying stats last I checked. But man...unless Cirelli is the Real Deal, I'd be hard-pressed to deal TJ away. It's pretty clear that Stamkos is a winger full-time nowadays.

Killorn is your requisite big complementary scorer. He might be a tad overpaid but he's by no means a bad player. I don't think he can be anything more than a throw-in to any potential Hall deal though. Not sure Gourde or Palat really move the needle enough.

Maybe they could throw in a Foote. They have two of them after all.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:37 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
Really, this is better than how Tavares handled it, no? If he is making it known that he is testing the market no matter what, that's a good thing. I remember Brad Richards said the same his final year in Dallas, which completely scuttled any plans to trade him.

To me, anything would be better than how Tavares handled it.

If Hall skated around the Prudential Center flipping the bird to entire Devils crowd, that would be better.
If he stopped at center ice, dropped his pants and shit on the logo, that would be better.
If he got on the PA and told Shero to eat his ass, that would be better.

Hall has made it clear for over a year that he intends to test free agency. Or at least that it's a possibility. Tavares BSed for years, saying he had no intention of leaving, etc. Fuck that guy. I know that Devils fans are kind of pissed that he has made it pretty clear he's going to leave, one way or another, but yeah, to me that's a million times better than lying all along, saying you're looking forward to playing your whole career with 1 team, then posting your pajama photo minutes after signing with another team... Hall has made it pretty clear that the Devils should trade him as a rental. At least they'll get something back for him.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:55 pm 
Big in Japan

Also, the Tavares situation should show that losing your star player isn't a death sentence if you've got a good team. Jersey needs to stay the course and keep developing their young players. Adding a couple of 2020-21 ready assets for Hall wouldn't be the worst thing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:05 pm 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
Also, the Tavares situation should show that losing your star player isn't a death sentence if you've got a good team. Jersey needs to stay the course and keep developing their young players. Adding a couple of 2020-21 ready assets for Hall wouldn't be the worst thing.

Detroit's got plenty of 3-4M 4th liners to give up for Hall if they want to follow the Isles model.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:10 pm 
Big in Japan

Bosc wrote:
E.L. wrote:

Detroit's got plenty of 3-4M 4th liners to give up for Hall if they want to follow the Isles model.

You're about to get Lafreniere or Byfield. You're good.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:32 pm 

E.L. wrote:

Actually, getting Hall may increase their odds at winning the lottery.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:33 pm 

Also, don't ever think you're guaranteed the top two spots in the draft just because you happened to be the worst team in hockey or you happen to own the 1st rounder of the worst team in hockey.

--Signed,
An Avalanche Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:52 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
E.L. wrote:

Actually, getting Hall may increase their odds at winning the lottery.

The Detroit Red Wings should not trade for Taylor Hall. Sign him in the offseason.

Teams that should: Avalanche, Jets, Canadiens, Islanders (unlikely!), Predators, Lightning, Hurricanes, Capitals. Plenty of other teams, too, but their cap situations are tighter.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:07 pm 
King of Men

Oh Asherah!!!! Stay away Calgary!!!!!!

I think that's a good suggestion on the Avs....They are really good even with injuries. Add Taylor Hall to the mix and I think they will steam roll even if he is a rental. These damn guys are wearing out the batteries on my Bud Red Light!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:34 pm 

E.L. wrote:
The Detroit Red Wings should not trade for Taylor Hall. Sign him in the offseason.

Teams that should: Avalanche, Jets, Canadiens, Islanders (unlikely!), Predators, Lightning, Hurricanes, Capitals. Plenty of other teams, too, but their cap situations are tighter.

Well I was being facetious. Even Hall himself has commented how teams he's been on have some weird mojo that allows them to snag 1st overall picks.

Of course he's probably not happy that those teams are in the lottery to begin with.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:48 pm 

Made a long post about the Avs and Hall but feel it's more appropriate for the Avs forum, so I moved it there.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:21 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Also, the Tavares situation should show that losing your star player isn't a death sentence if you've got a good team.

I often wonder about this. I wonder if Tavares is a truly crappy teammate/leader. People keep showing the Leafs and Isles stats for the almost 2 years since he went to the Leafs, and the 2 years prior. The Leafs had been trending upwards and the Isles downwards- until he left. Could be coincidence, could be lots of other factors (Lou switching literally between those 2 teams), Trotz coming to the Isles (definitely has a major impact), and Doug Weight leaving the Isles bench... Could also be that the other Isles were furious that people left them for dead after Tavares left and came out swinging every game.

I doubt this very much, but I hope he sees those stats and it's getting into his head. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:28 am 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
Also, don't ever think you're guaranteed the top two spots in the draft just because you happened to be the worst team in hockey or you happen to own the 1st rounder of the worst team in hockey.

--Signed,
An Avalanche Fan

I'm well aware as you know :lol:

I'm fully resigned to not getting a top-2 pick, but how much can I complain since becoming a Wings fan?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:22 pm 

Well now, this has ramped up quite a bit.

Based on bits and pieces of what I'm hearing, someone (probably AZ) made an offer, but Shero wanted to see if that might drum up interest, so pulling Hall out of the lineup last-minute may have just have been as much about being dramatic and getting other potential suitors to notice as it was a practical matter. We'll see if it worked or if Shero overplayed his hand.

I was reading the Coyotes and Blues were in the running, with the Panthros trying to see if they could get in on the action. And now the Spitting Chiclets guys are reporting CALGARY might be involved. Not hearing much, if any, buzz on Colorado at this point.