OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:40 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

What an odd feeling. Avs drop a stinker against the Wylde...and yet I really wasn't that bummed. Probably because Cale Makar almost singlehandedly willed the Avs back into a game where seemingly nothing was going right previously. Two goals in the 2nd that seemed almost automatic. The 2nd one was a real beauty he literally shot over the sprawled body of Joel Eriksson Ek.

Still, this is a team dealing with all kinds of major injuries and at one point had to rely on their fourth-string goalie...and still managed 3 out of 5 possible wins on this road trip.

The one thing that's kinda not fun to watch right now is the continued decline of Erik Johnson. Dude's best years are clearly behind him, and he's really not managing the puck well at all.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:49 pm 

Avalanche Stadium Series Jersey Leak

Ewwww! I wonder what Ian would say about this one...

http://news.sportslogos.net/2019/11/13/ ... SzOId-_CrY

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:14 pm 

VHF wrote:

Wonder no more!

https://twitter.com/jyrki21/status/1194 ... 06565?s=21

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:52 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Err no.... :chairshot:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:13 am 

5-3 loss to the Leafs at home. No surprise, Tyson Barrie gets a goal in his return to Denver. Dude got a huge reception after the video tribute, as well he should.

Denver native Nick Shore also scored.

Unfortunately, the other prodigal son, Alexander Kerfoot, may be hearing from DOPS soon. Put a very dirty hit from behind, sending Erik Johnson into the boards awkwardly. Only got two for it--should've been more.

Philipp Grubauer gets pulled after the first period, giving up 4 goals. Just not his night. Pavel Francouz shut the damn door after that, but alas the damage was done.

But there's good news. THE LONG WAIT IS OVER! Valeri Nichushkin scores his first NHL goal, ending the longest drought currently in the NHL (believe it was 91 games). Avs sure tried like hell to tie it up there but Andersen, after letting in a weak one to start the game, was rock solid.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:09 pm 

Good news on the injury front: Mikko Rantanen is rumored to be returning sometime this week. Not sure if he'll be ready for the Oilers game on Wednesday but there's hope.

Matt Calvert is still in concussion protocol but Dater tweeted that they don't think he'll be out much longer.

Still no timetable for Captain Gabe.

Losing Matt Calvert may have been one injury too many. He did a lot to make that makeshift top line work. Without him, even as talented as Andre Burakovsky is, it's just not the same. I was lukewarm about the signing at the time, but he's turned out to be exactly the right utility guy for them. I wouldn't be opposed to him getting another extension for a few more years.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:01 pm 
King of Men

VHF wrote:

My wife seems to be the minute by minute twitter news source for hockey now.

When she showed this to me I just shook my head. But people smoke a lot of weed in Denver and they all fashion themselves as creative and positively encouraging so this is what you get. :steamingpileofcrap:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:50 pm 

The earlier in-depth piece about Akim Aliu and the infamous hazing incident and subsequent abuse from Steve Downie is making the rounds again. Someone on HF quoted this piece and...well, I think this speaks volumes.

Quote:
Jared Bednar [then the Peoria head coach, now in Colorado] loved him… You can get a rap against you for a lot of reasons, sometimes unfairly. And when you’ve been with a lot of teams, some people make assumptions, maybe. But if you show Akim trust, he’ll die for you.”

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/aki ... -big-read/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:42 pm 

Avs take on the Oilers for their second matchup of the season. The first time around, some guy named McDavid carved them up like a Thanksgiving turkey.

And now it appears Erik Johnson will miss some games as a result of the bad hit from Alex Kerfoot (yeah, I know you prefer "Alexander" but I'm calling you Alex now, deal with it!). Oddly enough, it's a "lower body injury" and not around the shoulder area where he impacted the boards.

Calle Rosen will play on the 2nd pairing alongside Sammy Girard, which is where EJ usually plays. The new top pairing will be Zadorov-Makar, which...did not work so well the first time it was tried but you never know.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:32 pm 

Mikko Rantanen is confirmed to return after tonight's contest, though I'm not sure if it's the Friday or Saturday game (yay back-to-backs!).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:40 am 

Avs play a sloppy, clumsy first period against the Oilers and go down 1-0, they draw a 5:00 major (and this time review was utilized, might be the first time this year) and get another power play on top of that...and fail to score on what was a full two-minute 5-on-3. Surely they're bound to lose this one. But then Jared Bednar huddled the team together during a TV timeout and they came out swinging. They began to bury the Oilers in shots and Koskinen finally crumbled to the tune of a 4-1 final.

Calle Rosen, apart from a couple welcome-to-the-NHL-again mistakes was quite solid playing in Erik Johnson's place.

And of course, it ain't an Avs game this season without ANOTHER FUCKING GODDAMNED INJURY, this time it's Andre Burakovsky, upper body, day-to-day. He'll miss the next game against the Blackhawks for sure.

Here's the really odd thing: For all his major flaws, Nikita Zadorov may be damn close to a perfect defender against Connor McDavid. Without Zadorov, McDavid went OFF. But since he was available in this game, Bednar said in the postgame that he wanted to challenge the big fella and told him he'd be shadowing the best player in the NHL. And he held McDavid completely off the scoresheet. This is not the first time Bednar has used Z in such a capacity. The Avs coach appears to know what he's doing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:46 pm 

Val Nichushkin scores again! This time it's a full-on highlight reel score:

https://twitter.com/HeresYourReplay/sta ... 1995528193

Avs actually lose the faceoff but Nuke jumps on the puck and burns :shock: past Gustavsson and Keith to score and basically put the game away. Amazing to see.

Rantanen did not play in this game but is expected to play in the next one tomorrow against the same team.

There appears to be an interesting shift going on. Zadorov was tasked with shutting down Kane and did so, but since it was an away game Colliton finally got him away from that matchup and sure enough, he scored. I think the coaches are finally starting to figure out what he does best. He's still positively lousy doing zone-type coverage and the net area, but tell him to shut one guy down and he does it.

Makar scored again, his 8th (!!!!) of the season.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:51 am 

THE MOOSE RETURNS

Mikko gets 4 points (1G 3A) in his triumphant return. Guess there wasn't a whole lotta rust despite missing 16 games.

His fellow Finn and linemate Joonas Donskoi also got 4 points (2G 2A).

7-3 final against the Blackhawks, so in total that's 12 goals scored against Chicago in the home-and-home series.

Somehow Cale Makar didn't get a point in this game. Send him down to the minors!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:10 am 

Oh, it should be mentioned the Avs didn't let Mikko play in the 3rd period, Bednar said in the postgame that he "tweaked" his leg a little but was kept out primarily because they had a 7-2 lead at that point and that he'd be ready for the next game.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:59 pm 

https://media.nhl.com/public/news/13632

Quote:
NEW YORK (Dec. 1, 2019) – Colorado Avalanche defenseman Cale Makar, who led all rookies in goals (7), points (16), game-winning goals (3), plus/minus (+10) and average time on ice (21:25) in 14 contests, has been named the NHL’s “Rookie of the Month” for November.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:01 pm 

Wonderful, Mikko missed practice today and Naz went off early. These injury reports are so much fun!!!! :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :chairshot: :jerkbag:

Apparently Colin Wilson had a "chronic groin issue" that required surgery, so he's gonna be out for a good long while.

Landeskog practiced in a non-contact sweater, so he's getting closer. Matt Calvert was a full participant so hopefully he's close.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:52 pm 

Y'know, if the Avs make a run for Hall (and they should, at the very least, inquire about him) and land him, I'll be happy. It'll be a neat throwback to those days when us Avs fans used to wait in anticipation to see Pierre Lacroix swing yet another big trade. It was a yearly occurrence for a while there. And obviously, adding Hall to MacKinnon/Kadri/Rantanen/Landeskog/Makar/Girard would make one of the most potent offenses in the NHL damn near unstoppable...at least on paper that's what it would look like.

But I wonder how they manage the cap afterwards. An extension would be massive, because of course it would be, and eventually they gotta re-up MacKinnon and possibly Kadri. Also, that kid named Cale is gonna want to get paid. I realize you do what needs to be done NOW and pay the consequences later, but it still gives me pause.

Also...I'm a bit of a conservative when it comes to giving up futures. Avs drafting has improved a bit but it's still not great. They have three legit top-tier prospects right now (not counting Makar). No doubt if Sakic has called, Shero has asked for Bowen Byram or Conor Timmins in return. Beyond that, maybe Alex Newhook. Beyond that, the Avs don't really have any "wow" talents at any level...some promising guys, like Andrei Kovalenko's kid Andrei, but it thins out pretty quick. If the cap is going to be an issue going forward, they need to get good value from some ELC players, and it's likely going to be guys like Byram and Timmins.

I'd still like to see Sakic look into some second-tier guys to see if they're available. I always get laughed out of the room for suggesting it, but what about Tyler Toffoli, currently languishing on a very bad Kings team? Dude was scoring in bunches before he and his team completely fell off a cliff. I still think there's something there. Maybe Jean-Gabriel Pageau, who is obviously not a scoring phenom, but damn near elite defensive forward with some scoring punch. And while the mere mention of his name gives me a headache because of the ongoing pushes by fans to reunite MacKinnon with his fellow Halifax Moosehead, maybe contact the Habs when Drouin is healthy to see if they're willing to part ways with the guy.

Anyway, there are plenty of ways this could go. At the very least, I love the fact that this is a complete 180 from just three years ago, when the Avs were the center of the hockey universe discussion possible trades, but it was the player they were rumored to be dealing, not acquiring.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:42 am 

HELL YEAH

Avs head to Scotiabank and beat the Leafs 3-1. Pretty even contest. Valeri Nichushkin scores the game-winner on a shorthanded breakaway. He was the best Avs player of the night.

https://twitter.com/evanrawal/status/12 ... 6355343360

Quote:
Zadorov played a team high 10:01 head to head with Auston Matthews tonight. The Avs controlled 54% of the shot attempts and 64% of the scoring chances. Leafs registered 0 high danger chances during that time.

The revelation that Zadorov has been the last few games is quite something. Both the coaches and Zadorov himself have figured out precisely what makes him tick. He's the shutdown guy the Avs have been looking for all this time.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:35 am 

Avs hang on for a 3-2 win against the Habs. Goals from Graves (after a great end-to-end rush by Makar to put the initial chance on net, and yes, both defensemen jumped into the play), Landeskog in his first game back, and the winner, a shorthanded goal started by J.T. Compher and scored by Matt Calvert.

Frankie was pretty damned good throughout. Rebound control was not great but the Avs did a stellar job clearing those rebounds. All in all, not bad for a team that was clearly a little tired from the night before and two guys in Landeskog and Rantanen who are not quite in game shape yet.

Broons next.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:45 am 

https://twitter.com/MileHighHockey/stat ... 4023333888

Quote:
"The Avalanche have talked to the Devils. They've had internal discussions about Taylor Hall. They are interested, they know the price. Now it's a matter of whether or not they want to pull the trigger" - Pierre Lebrun during the intermission

Sounds like the Devils REALLY want Bowen Byram. I sure hope Joe just says no on that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next