OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:57 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

4-2 over Ottawa, including what everyone thought was a Nick Leddy natural hat trick (including a penalty shot goal). 2nd goal was later credited to Matt Martin on a deflection.

Six wins in a row. That's a bit of alright.

Philly tonight.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:55 am 

5-3 win over the Flyers. 11 Isles with points, 5 goal scorers. You'd think a 7 game win streak 11 games into the year would put you way the hell out in front but the Isles are 3 points behind the Caps (who have played 2 more games).

Martin and Kuhnackl are both out 4-6 weeks with LBIs. Martin's is from the Ottawa door opening when he took a routine hit that turned into an injury (no penalty given to Ottawa even though the door wasn't fully closed during play???). No idea on Kuhnackl.

Ross Johnston took advantage of Martin being out, with a nice tap-in goal, roughing and fight against Philly. 27 year old rookie Cole Bardreau got his first NHL point on that play, and Wahlstrom created the turnover with a good hit. Well done kids!

And now again, the Isles don't play until Friday. WTF scheduling crew??? And of course, they have a back-to-back Friday and Saturday. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:22 pm 

Martin and Kuhnackl officially to IR. Otto Koivula called up. I hope Isles fans give him a loud "HEY DUDE!" whenever he steps onto the ice.

In other news, there is no other news.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:37 pm 
Big in Japan

The Isles are good! That's news.

How's Dobson?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:00 am 

E.L. wrote:
The Isles are good! That's news.

How's Dobson?

Mostly absent. He's played 3 games, and had 1 nice assist in garbage time. He's looked good, but I think Trotz mainly wants him practicing with the team and learning. Boychuk could certainly use a rest every 3rd game or whatever. But the Isles are pretty good on D, so it's going to be tough for him to get into games more. But at least they're not rushing prospects anymore.

I saw an NHL fan poll that showed something like 24% of fans think the Isles will make the playoffs. I'll bet that was even lower last year.

This long layoff is brutal.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:51 am 

9 straight wins (beating Tampa 5-2 and Buffalo 1-0 since I last posted). Nine times...
Brassard with goals in 5 straight games. Barzal scored vs Tampa. Him shooting more makes him so much harder to defend. Last year teams just covered his pass options and he was handcuffed. Now he's generally shooting first.
Ottawa next.
Still amazing how tight the top is. 18/18 points and still 5 points behind Washington. :lol: Sure, the Caps have played 3 more games, but wtf do you have to do to get ahead in this league? 1 point ahead of Carolina (who have played 1 more game).
Isles fans being Isles fans keep waiting for the 15 game losing streak to start.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:09 am 

TEN wins in a row. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Bardreau joins a small list of players who scored their first NHL goals on penalty shots. His was also the game winner. Isles were down 1-0, and came back to tie it 39 seconds later. Went on to win 4-1 vs Ottawa.
Record is 11-3-0 now.

Pens on Thursday.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:29 pm 
Big in Japan

Are the Isles low-key contenders? They look pretty deep right now.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:06 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Are the Isles low-key contenders? They look pretty deep right now.

I don't know. After winning 10 straight, they obviously look great. I think it depends how they are after the streak ends. If they lose 2 and then win 3, my opinion will continue to rise. If they lose 10 of their next 12 or something like that, it'll go back to where I had a bad feeling they'd end up.

Sometimes you win a bunch because you're good. Other times you do because everyone hits a hot streak at once, and then when they go cold you're fucked. For a while. So time will tell.

Ladd played a conditioning game in Bridgeport this morning (minors- 10:30 AM weekday start times to get kids into the stands during school trips!). He's headed back to the Isles now. So that alone could bring the win streak to a screeching halt. Komarov and Eberle are close to returning too. Eberle has been skating with a non-contact jersey for a few days.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:57 am 

Win streak over, but point streak intact. Blew a 3-0 lead in the 3rd period to lose in OT. Murray made a great scorpion save on Beauvillier, who started off well but now seems to get robbed every game, the Pens brought it up and scored their 2nd goal. Isles tensed after that and lost it in OT, after controlling the play for the first 2 minutes. Bummer to lose, but Trotz and Lee made a big deal of saying they know they let up in the 3rd period, assuming they had a win in the bag and it won't happen again.
Butch Goring always says you've got to learn to lose before you can learn to win. This is what he means. So it will be good to see how they respond.

Panthers on Saturday.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:04 am 

They beat the Panthers. 11 wins in 12 games, with the loss being in OT. And they're still 4 points behind the fucking Caps. WTF?
With the return of Eberle and Ladd and impending doom of a Komarov return as well, Wahlstrom, Koivula and Bardreau were all sent down. Damn shame.
Barry Trotz won his 60th game with the Isles before his 100th game with them. First Islanders coach to do that. Al Arbour was amazing, but took over a really shitty expansion team. :lol:

Greiss leads the league in save % for goalies with at least 5 games played. This is his UFA year.

Leafs on Wednesday, and I'll be in a frigging hockey parent meeting. :chairshot:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:55 am 

I only saw the last 4 minutes of the Leafs game. Looked like a laugher when Cizikas made it 5-2, skipping the puck over Matthews' stick for the empty netter. Then Varlomov pulled a Halak, seemingly not giving a shit about a rebound, and Stoll took it for a stroll and pulled a wrap around goal. Then dickhead got away from Boychuk and put in a shot/pass that bounced around a bit, making it 5-4. Trotz said he was not at all happy with how they let up after the empty netter.
13 straight games with at least 1 point (25/26), and yet still 5 points behind the Caps, who also just don't lose. Isles have 3 games in hand though.
And lucky 13- Barzal #13, had the opening goal on Nov 13 to extend the point streak to 13. Anybody care? Nope. Well, maybe Barzal. I mean, That Kid.

Flyers on Saturday. Longer than usual breaks are becoming usual. This schedule seems so weird.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:47 am 
Big in Japan

I was looking forward to seeing Dobson against the Leafs :(

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:56 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Can't argue with what the Isles are doing, but still hate how they do it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:58 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Can't argue with what the Isles are doing, but still hate how they do it.

You mean by giving up the least amount of goals in the league?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:14 am 

Andrew Ladd waived and being sent to Bridgeport. Lou says they haven't seen enough play on the repaired knees, so Ladd agreed to it. It's not like anyone is going to claim him with that contract. So he'll ride the bus for a while. No timetable given to the public.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:12 pm 

Chris18 wrote:

Spending 2/3rds of the game in their end? Yes.

Again, it works, and if it were my team I'd take it. But I still don't love to watch it except whenever Barzal has the puck.

Look, it's like having a frumpy wife with a muumuu with a big hairy mole on her chin and her hair all up in a bun. Sure, she may not be much to look at and you haven't banged her since the Clinton Administration, but maaaaaaaaan can she cook!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:34 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Spending 2/3rds of the game in their end? Yes.

Again, it works, and if it were my team I'd take it. But I still don't love to watch it except whenever Barzal has the puck.

Look, it's like having a frumpy wife with a muumuu with a big hairy mole on her chin and her hair all up in a bun. Sure, she may not be much to look at and you haven't banged her since the Clinton Administration, but maaaaaaaaan can she cook!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh9ZZgDqzAg

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:27 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
:lol: Best piece of writing around here in years :Butch:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:36 am 

Fogghorn wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh9ZZgDqzAg

Yep, that should be the Isles' goal song. :Butch:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next