OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:22 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
Oh boy...Avs are officially in a skid after a listless 3-0 loss to the Coyotes. No Rantanen, no Landeskog, and no one else really stepping up to fill the void.

Jared Bednar was about as close to enraged as I've seen him following the 2-1 loss to Dallas the night before. Unfortunately him calling out some players publicly did not have the desired effect.

It's early yet, and shit like this happens to even the best of teams, but this ain't fun to watch.

Oh, and some good news...Altitude came to terms with DirecTV while I was in Mexico and so now I actually CAN watch them, uh, not play well. :suprisedtoangry:

Where were you in Mexico? We're headed to a resort near Playa Del Carmen in a couple of weeks.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:26 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Bosc wrote:
Where were you in Mexico? We're headed to a resort near Playa Del Carmen in a couple of weeks.

We were at a resort in Nuevo Vallarta. Didn't do much

Everyone's favorite Farang was actually not far away in Sayulita at the same time for Dia de Los Muertes celebrations. I wish we could have arranged for a meetup but alas...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:45 pm 

:|

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:28 am 

Okay, that's much better. Back-to-back comeback wins. First, a 9-4 walloping of the Preds (some say it was galvanized by Matt Duchene scoring and celebrating, thereby pissing off his former teammates) and a 4-2 win tonight against the Blue Jackets, with Cale Makar scoring two goals.

#8 is most definitely in the Calder conversation.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:21 pm 

:Butch:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:36 pm 

Nikita Zadorov took a puck to the face and broke his jaw, going to be out for a while.

That makes it five guys out of the lineup now: Rantanen and Landeskog (both unspecified lower-body injuries), Grubauer (also LBI), Bellemare (concussion), and Wilson (probably dead).

Nick Foligno got 3 games for the hit that concussed Bellemare. He got a major and game for it previously. Was pretty apologetic about it.

Makes me think back...if Steve Moore had just apologized after that game, there never would have been an incident. Can't help but wonder if indeed that mess led to a necessary change in hockey culture. Players never apologized for bad hits before, now they do.

Make no mistake, Bert is still a fucking slimeball and meathead who should never have anything to do with hockey ever again, but I'm not gonna sit here and say Moore was a completely innocent bystander. I suppose maybe, just maybe something good came out of that horrific mess.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:46 pm 
King of Men

Pokecheque wrote:

Nick Foligno got 3 games for the hit that concussed Bellemare. He got a major and game for it previously. Was pretty apologetic about it.

I was wondering about this. I had thought maybe 3-5 games. Nick Foligno is usually a pretty decent dude but that was the most egregious head hit I had seen this season.

Bellemare has a concussion but is on the trip? :ohdear:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:51 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
I was wondering about this. I had thought maybe 3-5 games. Nick Foligno is usually a pretty decent dude but that was the most egregious head hit I had seen this season.

Bellemare has a concussion but is on the trip? :ohdear:

I was guessing two. It was Foligno's first offense and while it was indeed a bad hit, he showed genuine contrition and I doubt he'll do anything quite THAT bad ever again. That likely helped, as it should.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:13 pm 

Connor McDavid made the Avs his bitch last night.

Nathan MacKinnon is gonna have to start mixing things up. He loves that move of entering the zone and then slamming on the brakes to dish to a teammate skating in down the middle. Well, Zack Kassian was waiting for it and flattened him right when he tried it. MacKinnon was at his very best when he ditched that move and just tried powering in toward the net.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:31 pm 

Well, once again the Avs and the refs are in the spotlight for all the wrong reasons. In a 5-4 OT win the Avs were trying to hold a two-goal lead with around 2 minutes left in Vancouver. Green pulls the goalie for the extra attacker. Pettersson rifles a shot that gets blocked by Matt Calvert, but it goes off the back of his head and injures him. Play continues and the Nucks eventually score. They'd score another one to force OT, at which point Nathan MacKinnon said "Oh hell naw," and scored about 30 seconds into the extra session.

Some thoughts:

1. Avs still have a tendency to go into turtle mode and you just can't do that.

2. YES, the play should have been blown dead. If there's an obvious injury it doesn't matter if that team doesn't get possession. That said, I can understand after the refs got absolutely pummeled in last season's playoffs why they're reluctant to intervene. The rules don't need to be changed, but they do need to be clarified, and the League needs to be abundantly clear and have the officials' backs in every instance. And if it ever comes to light that the player faked it, they should receive an absolutely massive fine/suspension.

3. Even Pettersson appeared bewildered that the refs weren't blowing the play dead. He even waved his hand to get their attention.

4. MacKinnon was mad, Erik Johnson was outright livid. This is not getting swept under the rug anytime soon.

5. I have no idea what the Avs did THIS TIME to piss off the Hockey Gods but I'm getting really tired of watching a player go down every game.

Anyway, they won, but this one irritated the living shit out of me and kinda spoiled what was otherwise a pretty fun game to watch.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:33 pm 

No surprise, Matt Calvert sent home for observation, out indefinitely.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:56 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Pokecheque wrote:
2. YES, the play should have been blown dead. If there's an obvious injury it doesn't matter if that team doesn't get possession.

I agree, but part of the problem is with the definition of an "obvious injury". Sure, if blood is spurting ala Clint Malarchuk, for Pete's sake, stop the play. I agree that in this case, it most def should have been stopped dead, but bear in mind, it wasn't obvious to the refs or linesmen that Calvert took a puck to the head; It wasn't until after the whistle was blown that he was in obvious distress and bleeding inside his helmet. Heard that he had blood coming out his ears :shock:

A few games back, Tanev blocked a Laine one-timer that Tanev said later was the hardest shot he'd ever blocked. It looked like he broke a leg, but there no stoppage in play; Tanev looked crippled on the play and couldn't get off the ice. At the time, I didn't think the play should have been stopped, but if he DID get a broken leg, should the play have been stopped then? I don't have the answers other than, yes, if there's an obvious injury, absolutely stop the play.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:17 pm 

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:
2. YES, the play should have been blown dead. If there's an obvious injury it doesn't matter if that team doesn't get possession.

I agree, but part of the problem is with the definition of an "obvious injury". Sure, if blood is spurting ala Clint Malarchuk, for Pete's sake, stop the play. I agree that in this case, it most def should have been stopped dead, but bear in mind, it wasn't obvious to the refs or linesmen that Calvert took a puck to the head; It wasn't until after the whistle was blown that he was in obvious distress and bleeding inside his helmet. Heard that he had blood coming out his ears :shock:

A few games back, Tanev blocked a Laine one-timer that Tanev said later was the hardest shot he'd ever blocked. It looked like he broke a leg, but there no stoppage in play; Tanev looked crippled on the play and couldn't get off the ice. At the time, I didn't think the play should have been stopped, but if he DID get a broken leg, should the play have been stopped then? I don't have the answers other than, yes, if there's an obvious injury, absolutely stop the play.

Well, if taking a shot to the head and bleeding onto the ice isn't what is defined as an "obvious" injury, then just strike the rule from the books and do something else. Because then, there's no such thing as an "obvious" injury. And a broken leg, short of piercing his femoral artery, will never, ever rise to the same level as a head injury.

I can understand to a point the refs' reluctance. They're definitely cautious after what happened in the playoffs. And officiating culture is all about committing errors of omission rather than commission (to paraphrase what a former ref said on NHL Radio last year), but it's swinging too far the other way.

The league just needs to clarify the rule, and they need to back 100% the refs when they make those calls. That's also part of the problem. When the refs fucked up in that Vegas/SJ game they just quietly booted that officiating crew out of the postseason. That's led to refs being on the defensive and afraid to make calls. You can see they're walking on eggshells out there (except for Wes McCauley, that dude has no fear). There needs to be more transparency. I'm not saying they should throw the refs under the bus--just tacitly acknowledge the error, say what needs to be done the next time, and if it should happen again and the play is blown dead and a single, solitary player/coach/GM bitches about it, fine the living shit out of them.

I also don't buy that clarifying the rule will lead to all these guys writhing on the ice like they're Mike Ribeiro. If necessary, hand out fines/suspensions if there's a concern, but Pierre-Edouard Bellemare said it very clearly in the postgame, there really isn't a player out there who would take himself out of the play like that just to draw a whistle instead of helping his team try to defend.

While I understand the refs' precarious position, it doesn't mean they didn't make the wrong call. It is not just a "judgment" call here--it was readily apparent EVEN TO ELIAS FUCKING PETTERSSON that the play needed to be blown dead. If the refs were unsure they could've swooped in real quick to take a look, seen the blood, and blown the whistle.

I imagine the two refs in that game feel awful. But my sympathy only extends so far. They blew it, and it needs to be addressed.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:24 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Imagine if Calvert were hit again with a puck or stick with the play going on around him while down. All wrong. One would think the PA will be all over this rule demanding the rule to be addressed post haste.

On another note, speaking of legacy uniforms, wouldn't it be something if the Avs brought back the original Nord's jersey as a 3rd.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:03 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
Imagine if Calvert were hit again with a puck or stick with the play going on around him while down. All wrong. One would think the PA will be all over this rule demanding the rule to be addressed post haste.

On another note, speaking of legacy uniforms, wouldn't it be something if the Avs brought back the original Nord's jersey as a 3rd.

Nazem Kadri was pretty emphatic on social media about it. But frankly...naw, I wouldn't like that. Don't get me wrong, it's a GREAT jersey, always has been, but, no. This is where all these NHL teams relocating kinda confuses the issue. Is a proper "legacy" jersey in Colorado the Nordiques, or is it the Rockies? The Avs current third jerseys are a riff on the classic Don Cherry-era (yes, I said it) Rockie-Hockey sweaters. I'd rather see those in action than the Nords. If they want a team to wear those, they need to actually bring that franchise back somehow. Since expansion efforts failed, I wouldn't mind seeing a franchise (NOT THE AVS) moved there.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:25 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

The Memphis Grizzlies are bringing back the original Vancouver Grizzlies jerseys from the Big Country ere with the 'Vancouver' word mark. Sales opps....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:04 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Pokecheque wrote:
I also don't buy that clarifying the rule will lead to all these guys writhing on the ice like they're Mike Ribeiro. If necessary, hand out fines/suspensions if there's a concern, but Pierre-Edouard Bellemare said it very clearly in the postgame, there really isn't a player out there who would take himself out of the play like that just to draw a whistle instead of helping his team try to defend.

And that's what I'd hate to see happening, too. Soccer already has that awful reputation, and I wouldn't want to see that happening here. Suspensions post-game - well, that doesn't seem right either; they could do that in soccer but won't.

Pokecheque wrote:
While I understand the refs' precarious position, it doesn't mean they didn't make the wrong call. It is not just a "judgment" call here--it was readily apparent EVEN TO ELIAS FUCKING PETTERSSON that the play needed to be blown dead. If the refs were unsure they could've swooped in real quick to take a look, seen the blood, and blown the whistle.

I imagine the two refs in that game feel awful. But my sympathy only extends so far. They blew it, and it needs to be addressed.

You know, I'm reminded that of something I learned as a swim official. This is a game played by people, officiated by people, and bc of that, it will be imperfect. I think some transparency on the part of the league on behalf of its officials could be really helpful here. "We blew it, we missed a call, and we apologize to Mr. Calvert that we failed to detect what may be a serious injury. As a group, we officials will review the situation, consider alternatives, and we will address that with the league (owners) where it is appropriate," or something to that effect. Basically admit that they blew a call and work on not repeating that mistake.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:45 pm 

I agree. Of course Bettman came out with his usual, vague, lawyer-y response that did nothing to clarify matters. All he gives a shit about is liability.

Not surprised, but disappointed that the league is just deciding to cut and run from this one. Apparently a missed offside call is more cause for alarm and rule changes than a guy bleeding out of his fucking head during play.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:31 pm 

Apparently Bettman said this in a recent interview...

Quote:
"We'll probably discuss further whether or not the rule needs to be modified, or we just need the officials to make sure they're more comfortable using common sense..."

Unfortunately, much as I like the snark, being all vague like this doesn't solve the issue. Telling the refs you'll back them if they have to make a call like this, even if it ends up deciding a game, would have been a better thing to say. This does nothing but make the refs even more reluctant to make the right call in fear of repercussions.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:30 pm 

Avs go into the Saddledome, cruise relatively quietly through 2 periods and then hang on for dear life in the final minutes of the 3rd to win 3-2 against the struggling Calgary Flames.

Have to say I was relieved Sam Bennett and his broom-like mustache were not in the lineup--dude literally injured three Avs players last year. And they've had enough frickin' injuries already.

Makar gets another assist on the opening goal. Burakovsky gets two goals, Vlad Kamenev (acquired as part of the Duchene deal) scores his first of the season and it ends up being the game-winner.

I can see why Burakovsky is so very intriguing (and frustrating) as a player. He has it all, size, skating ability, hands, and an elite-level shot. And I'm not exaggerating, dude can pick his spots and rifle it past the goalie seemingly at will. But he appears to have somewhat shaky confidence and at times turns into a perimeter player who bobbles pucks and gets indecisive. But hey, if he ends up scoring 20 or more none of us have a right to complain about him.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next