OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 57  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:07 pm 
Old Man of the Post

us 679 part trois wrote:
Logical Progression wrote:
us 679 part trois wrote:
E.L. wrote:
OK finally on board Mindhunter. Didn't even realize it was Fincher, and Zodiac is my favourite movie of his so this is right in my wheelhouse. Classic Fincher tension all over this one, and excellent music choices too. The scene with Zeppelin's In the Light was brilliant.
My wife and I just finished season 2. Absolutely love it! In the first episode of the first season, a couple of times we only watched the first 10 minutes and couldn't get into it. It was only because of so many people saying it was great and after getting through that first episode we were hooked.
This is precisely where I am at with it. Have watched the first couple of episodes and having trouble getting into it. Everyone raving about it but it's a lot of mediocre dialogue between those two FBI agents. Maybe should just stick with it.

We were the same, and by the third episode we were hooked and couldn't get enough!

S1 was excellent... S2 had me scratching my head (particularly regarding the gratuitous lesbian love-scene) and a little disappointed given the season finale, but I realized I was looking for the next episode. Now I wish this were at least into Season 3...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:45 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Oh good heavens...the latest (and possibly last, though I doubt it) Veronica Mars had one of the most soul-rending endings I've ever watched. No wonder the Marshmallows are in revolt.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:15 pm 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2492296/?r ... flmg_prd_3

Show Me a Hero. Like everything David Simon touches its excellent. All about municipal politics based on a real story of Yonkers NY in the late 80's early 90's when the town was forced by law to create public housing that was not segregated and the reaction of the white voters to having "those types of people" as their neighbors.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:51 am 

Holy shit, I haven't been this excited for a TV series in a good long while...

https://io9.gizmodo.com/picard-is-comin ... 1838807174

Another fantastic trailer, and this time Commander Riker and Counselor Troi show up.

The best part, to me, is that Picard has a Pit Bull following him around the Chateau Picard vineyards named "Number One." No doubt this is a big nod toward the advocacy efforts in real life Patrick Stewart and his wife have made on behalf of Pitties.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:38 pm 

Switced cable providers, new TV package and now have Star Trek Discovery. Half way through the first season and damn its good. Also watched a bunch of Wyona Earp, dumb show but still manages to be fun if you turn your brain off.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:54 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
Switced cable providers, new TV package and now have Star Trek Discovery. Half way through the first season and damn its good. Also watched a bunch of Wyona Earp, dumb show but still manages to be fun if you turn your brain off.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on season 2 once you complete it. I found it enjoyable but at times I felt like the story got away from them more than a little.

Season 3 is going to be beyond crazy. I really have no idea what in hell they're going to do.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:15 am 

How 'bout that? I purchased a new iPhone recently, so apparently that means I get a free year of Apple TV. Definitely going to take advantage.

Watched the first episode of "The Morning Show" and...well, I wasn't thrilled with it. I'm told it gets better as it goes on. It wasn't terrible, but it didn't quite snag me either.

Definitely want to sit down and watch "See." Crazy-ass concept, and some people are really geeking out about it.

BTW, anyone watch the new "Watchmen" yet? I actually have access to HBO for the moment, but the movie adaptation of the comic left me kinda cold and this continuation looks intriguing but...hmmmm.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:27 am 

No Watchmen yet. I've grown to like watching series in batches so waiting for awhile. Recent views. True Detective Season 3, Show Me a Hero, Killing Eve. All excellent. Onto Chernobyl at the moment, very good so far.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:40 pm 
King of Men

Shooters! WTF!? How do I watch this "The Mandalorian" show? Oh boy.....looks like I have to subscribe to Disney Plus....yeah right that's not going to happen.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8111088/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:03 am 
King of Men

The Mandalorian is ehhhh.....not sure what everyone is going on about.

Now you want a real show.....Season 4 of The Expanse (IMO the best Space show in many years) launched yesterday in its entirety on Amazon Prime in 4k HDR.

Eerily.....I find more than a few similarities to Mass Effect with star gates, an advanced precursor civilization and colonization. I swear the colony in Andromeda looked just like the colony shot here.

Either way I am glad Amazon picked this up for a 4th and 5th season as it was a fantastic first 3 seasons.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:45 am 
King of the One-Liner

harmfuljays wrote:

Been watching with my son. Meh,. Little cheesy and simplistic. Not sure if Americans no the reference but feels a little like Boba Fett playing The Littlest Hobo. That said it is watchable anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:31 am 
King of Men

Hounsy wrote:
harmfuljays wrote:

Been watching with my son. Meh,. Little cheesy and simplistic. Not sure if Americans no the reference but feels a little like Boba Fett playing The Littlest Hobo. That said it is watchable anyway.

I thought Episode 6 The Prisoner was the best one so far.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:15 pm 

Powering my way through the final season of Friends, then I'll get back on the regular TV watching schedule.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:01 pm 
King of Men

The Witcher is out on Netflix now.....adding that one to the queue. The Expanse has been excellent so far.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:49 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

harmfuljays wrote:
The Witcher is out on Netflix now.....adding that one to the queue. The Expanse has been excellent so far.

Thanks Harmy! Will check this one out with the wife over the holidays.

It seems to be getting good reviews from what I have read.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:36 pm 
OTP Historian

harmfuljays wrote:

Anam and I have started The Expanse as well. Really enjoying it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:51 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Bosc wrote:
harmfuljays wrote:

Anam and I have started The Expanse as well. Really enjoying it.

I tried to watch the first season way back when... Couldn't get into it. But I'm curious again...

The Watchmen is supposed to be the show to watch on HBO this year, and is supposed to be better than GoT. That's in my binge-watching queue...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:17 am 

First season of His Dark Materials finished tonight. I like the story, the world setting and production values. But overall the season felt more like a setup for the 2nd season. A bit slow as a result but will definitely tune in for 2nd season to see how it goes.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:31 pm 

Finally made it all the way through The Morning Show. It didn't help that we had to get a new LG smart TV and Apple TV was not available on it. C'mon Apple, if you want us to watch, it should be available on ALL PLATFORMS.

Anyway, the behind-the-scenes story was that this was going to be a pretty run-of-the-mill tale about a morning show, then the Harvey Weinstein/Matt Lauer stuff hit, and they completely started over. I'm still not sure it was a good show, but it sure as hell looked like a good show. Cinematic-style direction and design went into every scene. There wasn't a single shot that didn't look like it was elaborately and painstakingly set up. Every bar and hotel these people step into looks like the fanciest damned joint in America.

It also set up an interesting debate between the wife and I.

*SPOILERS*

There is a scene where one of the supporting characters is essentially raped. I say "essentially" because, while she does not explicitly say "no" or fight off his advances, she's clearly not enjoying it, and he is a man in a position of power, while she's a subordinate. She basically freezes while he goes to town on her. There is a clear look of horror on her face as it continues. She tries to report it and the head of the network conveniently sweeps it under the rug.

The wife was torn on this depiction because while she admits the man was a complete asshole and lecher, was he really a rapist? The show makes it explicitly clear by focusing the camera on the woman, would he have really known (it's clear as he approaches her later that he has no idea, he merely thinks he "seduced" her)? I said that, as a man, I'd like to think that I could pick up on body language like that, and I'd like to think I'd never find myself in a situation like that where I was in a hotel room with a subordinate. I also would like to think there's no way I'd ever move as fast as he does (he kisses her once and then shoves his hand down her pants). She wasn't so sure. Whatever the case, the incident completely destroys her psychologically, and things are...more or less...set right in the finale. But not before tragedy strikes.

As for the show itself, it'd be nice if they could try to be funnier next season as this particular drama was pretty heavy-handed given the very serious subject matter they were dealing with. I'd like to see Reese Witherspoon and Jennifer Aniston do something other than yell or cry in a given scene, which they did a lot of in this show. The only actor who looked like he was having a good time was Billy Crudup playing the smarmy network executive.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:12 pm 
King of Men

The Mandalorian is now wrapped up and I have to admit the last 3 episodes were pretty good for a Star Wars offshoot.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 57  Next