OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2019 MLB Thread
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:37 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Rockies have essentially given up, now own the 2nd-worst record in the NL, only ahead of the goddamn Miami Marlins.

This is an unimaginable failure. How in the world the Rox continue to hire and support incompetent General Managers is beyond me. If this doesn't cost Jeff Bridich his job, nothing will.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:22 am 
OTP Historian

Bichette with an epic AB to start the game, 12 or 13 pitches, leading to a leadoff homer. Then he launched a second one later. Vlad picked up a triple with an incredible slide into third.

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/vladimir-guerr ... razy-slide

Two brothers facing off. Love this.

https://www.mlb.com/news/brian-moran-st ... olin-moran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:40 pm 

Wow, amazing this sport has been around for nearly two centuries and yet, that's the first time that's EVER happened.

Definitely rooting for Bo, his old man Dante was one of my favorites. One of the reasons I was never a big fan of Larry Walker was because both he and Dante reportedly did not get along at all during their time in Colorado (sorry if I mentioned that already, as I alluded to in another thread, memory problems).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:17 pm 
Big in Japan

So many homeruns. So many bad teams.

The league beat their season HR totals with two weeks to go.

Meanwhile, the Tigers, Orioles, Royals, Marlins will all likely be 100 game losers. The Tigers have already lost 100.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:00 pm 

So sick of this goddamn fucking frustrating sport, mainly because it's yet another lost season for my team. And unlike what it's done in hockey, one could make the argument that analytics have made the game worse. And I don't know how to fix that. Do you seriously make shifts illegal? Do you lower the mound? Do you install a pitch clock? I just don't know.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:29 am 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
So sick of this goddamn fucking frustrating sport, mainly because it's yet another lost season for my team. And unlike what it's done in hockey, one could make the argument that analytics have made the game worse. And I don't know how to fix that. Do you seriously make shifts illegal? Do you lower the mound? Do you install a pitch clock? I just don't know.

Shifts being illegal to me is dumb as fuck. It's on the the hitters to adjust. They've already been given the advantages of the new ball and all the research into launch angles and exit velocity, etc.

They need to fix the ball shit.

They need to ban mound visits without pitching changes.

Pitching...is due for some sort of reckoning. Too many injuries and inconsistency.

I don't really know where I'm going with this.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:22 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Shifts being illegal to me is dumb as fuck. It's on the the hitters to adjust. They've already been given the advantages of the new ball and all the research into launch angles and exit velocity, etc.

They need to fix the ball shit.

They need to ban mound visits without pitching changes.

Pitching...is due for some sort of reckoning. Too many injuries and inconsistency.

I don't really know where I'm going with this.

Well, unfortunately I think it's analytics that will lead to more injuries. Teams want pitchers to bring the heat, which means more strain, more burnout, more injuries. And it also means more pitching changes, which mean more delays for a game that has way too many.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:08 pm 
Big in Japan

Baseball yings and yangs. Sometimes pitchers have the advantage, sometimes hitters. Sometimes it's the long ball, sometimes it's speed and defence.

The thing about analysis is, team's will always be looking to exploit inefficiencies in the game. Right now, that means one thing. In time it'll hopefully mean another.

We're already seeing bullpens unable to shoulder the load during the season. Guys are blowing out faster than ever before. Something will have to give.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:16 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I think bullpen pitchers are blowing up because starters are pulled so quickly now. I don't watch baseball that often, but I remember pitchers almost always making it into the 7th inning when I was a kid. If a starter got yanked before the 7th I thought that guy had a really shitty game. Now starters are yanked in the 5th pretty regularly. I keep thinking the guy can't even get a win, even though he has the lead... So the relievers are getting way more work than they used to.

Am I right on this, or am I getting old and yelling at everyone to get off my lawn, even though it's Yankee Stadium? It's also like 2 AM and I can't sleep, so fatigue may play a part on bad analysis here. Why the fuck can't I sleep tonight? Who knows! Certainly not me. Getting up in a few hours will be fun. I'll be tired as hell then, that's for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:11 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
I think bullpen pitchers are blowing up because starters are pulled so quickly now. I don't watch baseball that often, but I remember pitchers almost always making it into the 7th inning when I was a kid. If a starter got yanked before the 7th I thought that guy had a really shitty game. Now starters are yanked in the 5th pretty regularly. I keep thinking the guy can't even get a win, even though he has the lead... So the relievers are getting way more work than they used to.

Am I right on this, or am I getting old and yelling at everyone to get off my lawn, even though it's Yankee Stadium? It's also like 2 AM and I can't sleep, so fatigue may play a part on bad analysis here. Why the fuck can't I sleep tonight? Who knows! Certainly not me. Getting up in a few hours will be fun. I'll be tired as hell then, that's for sure.

It's all about pitch counts now, and the pitchers are being told to hurl the hell outta the ball, so yeah, starters are being pulled earlier. I don't know if we'll ever see pitching careers as long and dominant as guys like Maddux and Johnson ever again.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:17 am 
Big in Japan

It's pitch counts, it's throwing too hard and it's also that hitters are just too good. Very few pitchers nowadays can go through a batting order more than twice without hitters figuring them out. As a result starters are aiming to go 5-6 innings.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:05 pm 
Big in Japan

Bruce Bochy won his 2,000th game last night at Fenway. Only the 11th manager to do it. He's retiring at the end of the season, so it's good the Giants weren't too awful this season.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:46 pm 

Rockies owner Dick Monfort and his incompetent GM Jeff Bridich held a presser and it was depressing as hell. Basically they admitted they have no way of really adding talent, so they're just gonna stay the course and hope some players have a bounceback season, and/or some rookies grab a spot and make an impact.

Nolan Arenado has an opt-out clause in roughly a year's time I believe, and I think he's going to use it. Why wouldn't he?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:39 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
Rockies owner Dick Monfort and his incompetent GM Jeff Bridich held a presser and it was depressing as hell. Basically they admitted they have no way of really adding talent, so they're just gonna stay the course and hope some players have a bounceback season, and/or some rookies grab a spot and make an impact.

Nolan Arenado has an opt-out clause in roughly a year's time I believe, and I think he's going to use it. Why wouldn't he?

After two straight playoff appearances, the Rockies really blew it because after LA the West was open. This team has such a short window pitching-wise: I really thought Freeland-Gray-Marquez was going to be enough. Not surprised the old, expensive bullpen imploded. And they're lying about not being able to add talent because they frequently make ill-advised free agent acquisitions.

The semi-rebuilding Giants had 6 more wins, but I think next year might be a rough one for them. New manager, likely no Bumgarner and Smith. Bullpen will be turned over 100% (Gustave maybe the only sure fire returnee). Another year of rapidly declining vets (Buster, Craw, Belt) but a year away from true reinforcements (Bart, Ramos). Zaidi said the offseason gameplan is power, power, power.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:53 am 
Big in Japan

Always happy to see the Dodgers lose, even if it's to the Nationals.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:27 pm 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:

Giants fan happy to see the Dodgers lose? No way

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:48 pm 

E.L. wrote:

Me too.

And...wait...I thought you still liked the Nationalspos...?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:47 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
E.L. wrote:

Me too.

And...wait...I thought you still liked the Nationalspos...?

I don't dislike them like some Expo diehards. I hold no ill will towards the team or the city of Washington, DC. Wouldn't say I like them, though, although they have many likeable players.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:25 pm 

I'm honestly just utterly bored by them. Name, uniforms, there's just nothing exciting at all. And how DC gets THREE cracks at an MLB team is beyond me. First two times were enough.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:43 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Yankees vs Assholes again.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next