OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:48 am 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
Looks like Jesse Puljujarvi got tired of waiting. Signs a deal to return to Finland and play once again for Karpat.

He may try the NHL at a later date...but pretty sure it's safe to say, even at this point, that he's a bust.

Some grumblings that Bergevin was interested, and the Habs are a good landing spot for Finns right now. Would imagine he didn't offer much, though.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:48 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I'm reading he has a December 1st NHL out-clause, so he could still yet return this season...but I wouldn't bet on it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:50 am 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
I'm reading he has a December 1st NHL out-clause, so he could still yet return this season...but I wouldn't bet on it.

Oil are in the driver's seat. Let him go back and improve his stock. If he plays well, you still have his rights and either you mend the bridge, or you deal him for something more than you'd get now.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:04 pm 

If they're lucky, someone steps up with a 2nd rounder. I BET it'll be Vancouver.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:19 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Pokecheque wrote:
If they're lucky, someone steps up with a 2nd rounder. I BET it'll be Vancouver.
Doubt it. They have too many forwards already and need to shed cap space.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:28 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

But Uncle Jim looooooooooves draft busts. Where there's a will, there's a way. I have faith in him. :viking:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:33 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:
But Uncle Jim looooooooooves draft busts. Where there's a will, there's a way. I have faith in him. :viking:
Easy for you to say, you hate the Canucks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:22 pm 

Not really. My hate for them essentially died along with Todd Bertuzzi's career. I came to really like them under Vigneault, and I'm a big fan of Boeser and Pettersson (and I'm sure I will be of Hughes in due time). Just because I think their GM and the guy who pays him are doofuses doesn't mean I technically *hate* them. The only player I care nothing for on that roster is Buckshot-Brain Jake. I will admit though it'd be amusing to see GMJB

I don't really "hate" any sports franchises anymore. I don't care much for the Wylde for obvious reasons, but even then there are players (and a coach) I like on that team. But in my middle age I've tried very hard to just look for good hockey no matter where it comes from. My POV changed radically in 2016-17 when the Avs went through their mega-swoon and completely ruined an entire year of hockey for me. I swore I'd never let that happen again. I'm kind of a whore when it comes to hockey allegiances these days. :laugh: Avs are still my favorite obviously, but I'm a hockey fan before I'm an Avs fan.

Of course, I'm careful what I wish for...I think the Canucks and Oilers have something in common in that the core of talent on the roster is so good, all it'd take is a marginally competent GM to just quit hamstringing the organization with overpriced and mediocre talent, and they'd take off. That would, of course, make things just a tad harder for the Avs to make headway in their quest for a Cup. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:14 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Not really. My hate for them essentially died along with Todd Bertuzzi's career. I came to really like them under Vigneault, and I'm a big fan of Boeser and Pettersson (and I'm sure I will be of Hughes in due time). Just because I think their GM and the guy who pays him are doofuses doesn't mean I technically *hate* them. The only player I care nothing for on that roster is Buckshot-Brain Jake. I will admit though it'd be amusing to see GMJB

I don't really "hate" any sports franchises anymore. I don't care much for the Wylde for obvious reasons, but even then there are players (and a coach) I like on that team. But in my middle age I've tried very hard to just look for good hockey no matter where it comes from. My POV changed radically in 2016-17 when the Avs went through their mega-swoon and completely ruined an entire year of hockey for me. I swore I'd never let that happen again. I'm kind of a whore when it comes to hockey allegiances these days. :laugh: Avs are still my favorite obviously, but I'm a hockey fan before I'm an Avs fan.
:lol: Yeah me too actually. The trivialities of team allegiances become far more apparent with experience and age. The 2011 Canuck run and aftermath taught me that. And as for the incompetence of GM's getting in the way - 100%. I'd say it's unfortunately more the norm than the exception in the NHL these days. I mean one could argue that the Eriksson gaff singlehandedly set the franchise back two years, to make no mention agreements like Sutter, Guddy, Beagle, Roussel the list goes on. You've got a keeper in Sakic though. Although it took him a few kicks to the shin to figure it out he's stayed true to the path and not compromised assets when he sees value. Tough gig any way you slice it. Buckshot and Puljujarvi are ostensibly the same miscalculation. Big talent and size but nothing upstairs -- and ill advised systems in place to groom an asset. Now that I've said that watch Jake go pot 20+ this year. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:22 am 
Big in Japan

Oilers add bottom-6er Riley Sheahan on a one-year deal.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:32 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Oilers add bottom-6er Riley Sheahan on a one-year deal.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:29 pm 
Big in Japan

https://twitter.com/ReidWilkins/status/ ... 55524?s=19

:haha:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:09 pm 

Yikes. Adam Larsson gets put on LTIR and Even Bouchard gets the callup.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:26 pm 

The Oil have 1.5 good lines but little else. They spent extended periods running around in their own end last night and were badly outplayed by a pretty average Canuck lineup. Should be an interesting season for them. Kassian looked good last night. We'll see how long it lasts.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:57 am 

Well, Poker asked on the tweeter if Oiler fans are starting to panic yet? Amazing how a strong run of goaltending can gloss over a team's deeper issues, but over time the flaws eventually catch up. Smith's game seems to have fallen off a cliff.

Quote:
After that, it’s up to the veteran to find his game. Right now, his save percentage is .893 — a few points lower than the .898 he posted in Calgary last year.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/mik ... e-falling/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:00 pm 
Big in Japan

Brandon Manning, shitbag player who the Oilers inexplicably acquired after he intentionally broke McDavid's collarbone and boasted about it on the ice, now suspended down in Bakersfield for using an unspecified racial slur on the ice.

I really hope we never see this guy in the pros again. Brings nothing to the game.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:53 pm 

Zack Kassian offered an in-person hearing for kicking Erik Cernak in the chest in last night's loss to the Bolts.

Yeah...that was money well-spend there Ken.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:48 am 
Big in Japan

Another crappy showing by the Oil, who lose in the play-in.

Those geniuses in the Edmonton media are already calling on the team for being too soft. Yeah, that's the problem. No wonder the Oilers are always bad.

Actually, they suck because they have three good forwards, followed by Zack Kassian, James Neal and Alex Chiasson.

That's why they're bad.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:38 am 

E.L. wrote:
Another crappy showing by the Oil, who lose in the play-in.

Those geniuses in the Edmonton media are already calling on the team for being too soft. Yeah, that's the problem. No wonder the Oilers are always bad.

Actually, they suck because they have three good forwards, followed by Zack Kassian, James Neal and Alex Chiasson.

That's why they're bad.

Their defense is also really, really bad. Klefbom is good, but nowhere close to being a #1. Nurse is unfortunately not developing into a star.

They got a shot at Lafrieniere, and beyond that, Bouchard should finally provide them with the offensive pop from the blueline they've so sorely lacked for years. Yamamoto is turning into a good young complementary scorer. That said, it's astounding how much damage Chiarelli wrought upon this franchise. Holland has so much work to do.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:01 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Just wondering- do the Oilers get screamed at that they're wasting McDavid's career? When the Isles had Tavares fans of other teams would scream that he's wasting away with a go-nowhere team. The Oilers have had 2934087 1st overall picks on their roster in the last 14 years. Okay, that might be a slight exaggeration on my part, but that's how it feels.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 21  Next