OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:17 am 
Big in Japan

Gabriel Bourque signs in Winnipeg. Definition of a zero-sum player. Generates no offence, doesn't stifle much on defence, either. Rep for a penalty killer but the numbers don't really bear that out. Basically to the eye he doesn't screw up enough to be considered a detriment, but he doesn't bring anything to the table either.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:20 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

If he's not forechecking and hitting everything in sight going full throttle, he's not really that effective, and you see that guy, like, every 20 games or so.

I honestly think he was kept around the extra year to help Sam Girard acclimate to the NHL.

I think the Jets are in REAL trouble. While most GMs are guilty of overdoing it or going for it too soon, Chevy waited too long. Now he's got a mess on his hands with one disgruntled star gone for peanuts and the other already intimating he wants out.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:33 pm 
Big in Japan

Josh Morrissey locked up to a team friendly, eight-year, 6.25M AAV deal. Starts next season. Was hurt part of last season.

Meanwhile, Wheeler told media the team felt the pressure of having to reach the final last season and it affected their play. Fair enough, it would perhaps be unwise for us to count them out just yet, although they need to get Laine and Connor signed.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:41 am 

And in other news...holy motherfuckin' shit...

https://deadspin.com/the-jets-nightmare ... 1838212585

Quote:
Dustin Byfuglien, currently on personal leave from WPG, is believed to be using the time to ponder his NHL future. I’m not saying Byfuglien is retiring; I’m not saying he’s coming back to play. Only that he’s contemplating his options and there’s no timetable for a decision.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:50 am 
Big in Japan

Hope everything is ok with Buff. One of the NHL's more interesting personalities.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:04 pm 

Hoo boy, this could be baaaaad. Apparently Big Buff's injured ankle that took him out for 30 or so games last season still hasn't healed properly.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31- ... le-effect/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:19 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Laine signed for 2 years, $13.5M

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:39 am 
Big in Japan

He gone (in two years)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:32 am 
Big in Japan

First Trouba, then Byfuglien, then Beaulieu, now Kulikov. The Jets defence is depleted.

They're basically forced to play 18-year-old Heinola, ready or not. Sami Niku is still not playing, which is hilarious.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:40 pm 

E.L. wrote:
First Trouba, then Byfuglien, then Beaulieu, now Kulikov. The Jets defence is depleted.

They're basically forced to play 18-year-old Heinola, ready or not. Sami Niku is still not playing, which is hilarious.

I don't remember the last time TWO players on the same team took leaves of absence for personal reasons.

Jets are in trouble. Maurice already doesn't trust Hellebuyck, and Laine's favorite center, Bryan Little, is also out with injury.

Can't help but wonder if the problems that plagued the last iteration of the Jets are rearing their ugly heads. We've already seen three players (Stastny, Trouba, Hayes) spurn the team's long-term offers, and a fourth (Laine) who's on his way out. I can't speak for anyone else since I've never been there but it sure seems to me that a lot of NHL players sure as hell don't want to live in Winnipeg.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:34 am 

Somehow, some way (mostly because Connor Hellebuyck found his groove again) the Jets have scrapped their way back into a battle for the division lead.

Also, they finally found a solid 2nd line center...Blake Wheeler.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:56 pm 
Big in Japan

Jets and Byfuglien are headed towards a mutual contract termination. Due 7.6M this year and next: https://www.tsn.ca/trade-bait-winnipeg- ... -1.1437152

That'll give the Jets the room they need to aggressively go after a long-term solution on defence. Maybe a trade-n-sign with a Vatanen-type, or someone with term like Petry.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:57 pm 

I'd love for the Avs to add Byfuglien...but there's a distinct possibility (i.e. likelihood) that he's ready for this season, or any season.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:36 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Pokecheque wrote:
I'd love for the Avs to add Byfuglien...but there's a distinct possibility (i.e. likelihood) that he's ready for this season, or any season.
*Not?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:47 pm 

Oops...dammit, I edited that post and still managed to mangle it. Yes...NOT ready for this season.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:01 pm 
Big in Japan

Laine on Buff. He's not wrong.

Quote:
“He makes a lot of money, and boy, if he doesn’t want to play we probably could have used it for something else,” Laine said. “But that’s just the way it goes sometimes. That’s the situation we’ve got to deal with. And we’ve done well so far. But yeah, that can’t be an excuse for us.”

“If a guy hasn’t probably skated or worked out for half a year – I wouldn’t be able to come play in the middle of the season when everybody’s at their best,” Laine said.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:38 am 
Big in Japan

Seravelli has Laine and Ehlers on the block as the Jets look to plug some holes and change the culture. That seems insane to me, especially Ehlers. Cost controlled and their best play driver on the wings.

I think this team is more likely to win with a bandaid defence and their elite forwards, but so be it. They really just need to re-sign Demelo and find a Buff replacement.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:20 am 
Big in Japan

Remind me to stop listening to Seravalli, because the Jets had another quiet offseason. Of course they did.

Stastny is an improvement over Little. Demelo is underrated but not a 2.

I still like this team.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:01 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Remind me to stop listening to Seravalli, because the Jets had another quiet offseason. Of course they did.

Stastny is an improvement over Little. Demelo is underrated but not a 2.

I still like this team.

It all comes down to Hellebuyck. If he plays like he did last season, the Jets always got a legit shot. If he plays even one level below that, the Jets are completely fucked.

Hard to say with Winnipeg. They have a tremendously talented forward core, though it's starting to age a bit. That defense is...not great though. This team continually gets caved in when it comes to the shot clock, despite some good two-way players like Blake Wheeler being in the mix. In a shortened season, anything can happen, but I think, ultimately, Cheveldayoff is a good GM who waited way too long to address ongoing concerns with his roster.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:38 pm 
Big in Japan

Kings lifer Trevor Lewis makes the Jets.

Little and Toninato on IR.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next